cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maxxis Tires c or d

polkcraig
Explorer
Explorer
I have a jayco 2006 29bhs. I need to replace the tires and thinking of using maxxis. the stock rims say they are rated for 1820lbs and the c class maxxis tires are the same 1820lbs. would it hurt to move up to the d class rated at 2150lbs. or should I stay with the c class tires?
22 REPLIES 22

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Go higher! Having some reserve on ST tires is preferred!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
polkcraig wrote:
I have a jayco 2006 29bhs. I need to replace the tires and thinking of using maxxis. [COLOR=]the stock rims say they are rated for 1820lbs the stock rims say they are rated for 1820lbs and the c class maxxis tires are the same 1820lbs. would it hurt to move up to the d class rated at 2150lbs. or should I stay with the c class tires?

Did I miss something in this thread? If your rims are rated for 1820 lbs as you say, why are you thinking of installing tires at a higher rating? I would think that this could cause trouble down the road. If you are going to replace the rims too then the move up to a D rated tire makes sense.

You never mentioned the weight of your trailer. At 1820 per tire (the c rated ones) you would have a max rating of 7280 for the trailer. If you have a light trailer you might be fine with the c version.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I did just that two years ago. My original TT tires were ST205/75R/15 LR"C". After six years and no problems, I replaced them with Maxxis tires Load Range "D" for a few bucks more per tire. All else remained the same. I figured I may get a little extra protection from road hazards such as rough pavement, pot holes, debri, etc.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rims are 15". The stock tires are 205/75/15. I have found the c rated tires at summit racing on line for $128.97. They do also have the d rated tire also and they are $120.97, not sure why they cost less.

I definately would go with the higher rated tires. If you have the wheel well space you might look into the next size larger tires as well as the next higher rating. Your C rated tires are probably at or near their max with the trailer fully loaded; if you can go from 1820 pounds per tire to 2800 you are adding capacity, possibly less tire problems and peace of mind.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone from C to E's. I would buy at least D rated.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

polkcraig
Explorer
Explorer
Rims are 15". The stock tires are 205/75/15. I have found the c rated tires at summit racing on line for $128.97. They do also have the d rated tire also and they are $120.97, not sure why they cost less.

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no expert. But, I would think the heavier tire would be built stronger and therefore have less chance of failure. Just understand your weight capcity would be limited by your rims/axels etc.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
What size rims are your C's on? Just recently found out through another thread related to this subject that Maxxis only make D rated tires in 15" &16" sizes.

Personally I would always go to a higher rating if I could.