Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michelin Defender LTX Discontinued ??

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Has this been discussed?

My Defenders are down to the wear indicator with about 50k on them. Called a dealer in Moab and they tell me that the Defender can no longer be ordered. Called Discount Tire in Sedona (where we will be in a week) and they can bring them in from TX, so I ordered 4. Salesman said he heard rumors about them being discontinued but no official word from their corporate.

What have you guys heard/read?
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC
22 REPLIES 22

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I just purchased 6 last week. No mention of shortage or discontinuing.
I got an unbelievable 80K out on each of 3 sets on my last truck.

What size are the tires on your truck? My Ram DRW takes 235/80R17 and these tires aren't made in that size. I'm not too keen on the other offerings Michelin has, so I'm not sure what route I'm going to take.

I have Defenders on my Yukon though and they are great so far.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Website doesn't mention them being discontinued.
Defender LTX
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I just purchased 6 last week. No mention of shortage or discontinuing.
I got an unbelievable 80K out on each of 3 sets on my last truck.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to get them about 6 months ago and the dealer could no longer get them. Too bad as I really liked those tires.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
wonder how old the date code will be?

I put 23k-25k on them annually, so the tread will wear out before age is an issue.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

That would be a real shame to have those tires discontinued. They are fantastic.
I have a set on my dually with currently 105814 K or 65,749 miles on them and they are still going. Yes they are getting down, but there is still a lot of miles left in them.
Best tires I have ever had - zero problems.
I will probably see 70,000 miles before I replace them, hopefully with more of the same.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wonder how old the date code will be?

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
About time.

The 2 sets on my Chevy 2500HD were really bad.

I have always had outstanding luck with Michelin's on my cars and SUV's. I got 58,000 miles out of the OEM Bridgestone's and about 35,000 each on the 2 sets of Michelin's. The only reason I bought the 2nd set was that the 1st set had cost me approximately $1250 and I thought I was getting a top of the line premium tire with a 70,000 mile warranty. I was not going to put a second set on my truck, but Discount Tire sold me the second set for $550, due to only lasting 1/2 of the mileage warranty. The 2nd set were out of round from purchase. When I drove away I immediately went back and complained, they rebalanced and I left and they were still bouncing until I recently replaced them. The only reason I did not go back again was that I had just got a new set of LT tires for only $550! But they were still garbage.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT