cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Minivan towing 16' Scamp

rvnetter
Explorer
Explorer
Is a 2013 Town and Country Minivan capable of towing a 16' Scamp? I know the tow rating of the Minivan and the weight of the Scamp. I just want to know what your experiences have been towing with such. Thanks for your input.
Happy Trails to You!

The Tin Tent
2006 R-Vision Trail Lite
14 REPLIES 14

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Town and Country has no towing features. It would be hard pressed to tow a PUP. However, some models do have the transmission cooler and other towing features.

You should be able to determine the load your van can pull.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have towed a 20' I/o fiberglass boat with our 2006 Grand Caravan. The boat weighed about 2500 lbs. The only trouble I had was really watching tongue weight as the back of the van would really squat unless I loaded stuff in the back of the boat, being carful not to be too light on the tongue. Also I always was concerned on long downhill runs that I had to use the brakes a lot. Power didn't seem to be a problem though with the 3.8 L v6.

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
We owned Scamps for several years, first a 16' and now a 19' and really love 'em. but haven't any experience with minivan towing. Suggest you pose this question to the MFROG site

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/

I'm pretty sure some of the folks there can provide firsthand real world advice.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
That Pentastar V6 will jerk that Scamp around like its nothing...this is coming from someone who tows with my 2014 Town & Country all the time... Just watch the Tongue Weight and trailer loading (balance) on that single axle.

Other than that You are Minivan Man Approved!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Kelvininin
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1994 dodge caravan, towed boats, motorcycles, popup campers, never had an issue. I sold that thing with 270,000 miles on the clock.

smokedummy
Explorer
Explorer
My loaded 16'long, 7' wide trailer is technically a few hundred pounds too heavy to tow with my non-tow-package 2004 Grand Caravan. However, I have made two round-trip TX-NY trips and several runs down to the Texas coast etc with no problems. I keep the speed at 55, transmission in "3", RPMs are at 2500.

I am often asked how the minivan tows my trailer. My reply is that it is not optimal, but it works.
2012 Skyline Mountain View Retro 140, 16'.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to search for a Town and Country forum or a Chrysler forum and get real world answers.My parents have a '14 that they load a 1000 pounds in quite often but no towing experience. They are pretty low to the ground so ground clearance and overheating would be my concerns.

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
I see no problem with towing a 16' Scamp. I've tow round trips with only minivans from DFW to Colorado, Ohio, South Dakota, Oregon, Minnesota, and Florida. Towing 13' or 17' travel trailers with zero problems.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 3 Chrysler Minivans, and all had transmission problems without towing, although I've been told the newer ones hold up better. I still would not attempt it without the tow package.

I have friends that tow a Scamp 16 with a Sienna minivan (with tow package) & we made a trip to Alaska last June with no problems...

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbopp wrote:
Dodge minivans used to have notoriously weak transmissions but I don't know if that still holds true. DB tows a small Fun Finder up and down the East coast with his Sienna.

The newer stuff is strong. Yes back in the 90's - mid 00's around 02 they had them figured out.

The new T&C is a strong performer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The largest drawback IMO, is the front wheel drive. Just be careful. I wouldn't want this combination for a long time situation but a guy does what he has to.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge minivans used to have notoriously weak transmissions but I don't know if that still holds true. DB tows a small Fun Finder up and down the East coast with his Sienna.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Scamp is a small light weight trailer. Being aerodynamic and probably around 2500 lbs loaded for a trip I say it will do good.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on the design of the minivan. The real issue is braking and the transmission -- if you are in the mountains, some minivans will experience warped rotors if you brake for a long time. Some transmissions can't handle long downgrades in low gear.

On flat ground, you would probably be ok, as long as there is a cushion between the weight of the trailer and the towing limit of the minivan. Most people will say "get a big truck," but not everyone can do that.

I towed a trailer about the same size as a Scamp or Casita (but not as aerodynamic) with a Pathfinder (kind of like a beefy minivan). It did ok. My Tacoma does the job better. A big truck would do even better, but I have to use this vehicle as my daily driver, so mileage matters to me.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."