cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moab campsite????

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the planning stages of a roadtrip out west in May. I will be spending one night in the vicinity of Moab UT. Can anybody recommend a good boondocking spot somewhere in the country around that area? GPS coords would be great. Keep in mind that I'm driving an F350 SRW with AF 811 camper so it can't be down too rough of a road. Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to stay away from campgrounds if possible. Thanks.
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.
10 REPLIES 10

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Xpd77 wrote:
I'm in the planning stages of a roadtrip out west in May. I will be spending one night in the vicinity of Moab UT. Can anybody recommend a good boondocking spot somewhere in the country around that area? GPS coords would be great. Keep in mind that I'm driving an F350 SRW with AF 811 camper so it can't be down too rough of a road. Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to stay away from campgrounds if possible. Thanks.

BLM Campground around Moab

BLM's Cowboy on SR 313 (38.560584/ -109793727) is a small campsite with a fantastic view.The're only 5 sites here and only small RV's and tenters

There is a lot of boondocking opportunities down Mineral Road (SR 313)

I believe trackhead is describing Long Canyon, there is a couple of free sites there, but don't go into the canyon part, with your rig size you may not be able to get through what is known as "Pucker Pass".

click on photo for video, part1

click on photo for video, part2

Check out past TCTR many of us have been to varies areas of Moab, enjoy your adventure!
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

VisitMoabUtah
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of things: May 19- 25 2015 will be FULL. Visitors take advantage of the Memorial Day holiday for a long stay in Moab. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday night stays are best. Weekends get a lot of camping pressure, for that glorious May weather.
Mill canyon road, south of the Moab Airport has some nice sites for boondocking.

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info guys. I have several options to choose from now. Big help.
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

SheepCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Look up the BLM webpage for the area. Most of the BLM close to town is closed to boondocking within about 10 miles. The Horsethief and Kens Lake Campgrounds is nice. North of town around the Airport and farther should be open, but not the most scenic. Sand Flats area has many spots east of town and is managed by Moab. Lots of good info on BLM site. Lots of BLM sites along the river north east of town. May is a pretty busy time in the area with bikes and rafters. We will be in Moab again for 10 days the end of March. Specific questions, drop me a PM.
01 F350 CC SRW 7.3 Diesel
05 Lance 845
96 Jeep Cherokee, Beaches of Baja
79 Jeep CJ7, Moab Rocks

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of good information here. Just be aware of the dangers of camping down in a wash area. While it maybe flat and inviting, there is often a reason for this being level.

Rainy season is usually before this time, but afternoon thundershowers can happen at anytime and out of your site and still send water to you location faster than you can move or have stable ground to drive upon. Boondocking has great rewards, as well at facts one must be aware of, as well.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at the "Horse Thief" BLM campground and it was a great spot. All the information you need can be downloaded from the BLM website.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Also lots of stuff on the west side of the road just south of I-70 heading south on Hwy 191 in the Dubinki area before the airport.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Drive up towards (313) Dead Horse Point, as you crest the plateau, there's a nice gravel road heading west. Take that 1/4 mile, then turn right up a dirt road to a higher plateau with lots of open, free camping. You won't be alone up there, but it's free and somewhat scenic.

Lone Mesa Campground, free BLM site.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
years back I drove up 128 from Moab to the NE along the river. there were lots of areas where folks had pulled off there.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
38.698109,-109.687962

You might also search moab in Public lands
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman