cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mod Gone Slightly Wrong

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
So I wanted to mount and couple of brackets on the inside surface of one of my storage access doors on my 2007 Jayco 23B HTT. One would hold my camp axe and the other a nice full-size Maglite flashlight.

I decided to mount a thin sheet of metal to the plastic surface to increase the surface area and provide great support for the brackets. I applied Liquid Nail to the metal and I installed several 1/8" rivets. Well I made the mistake of mounting the metal piece BEFORE drilling the rivet holes. Well, you know how drilling metal can go, when you finally bust through the metal the drill usually keeps on going. This happened to me about five times so I ended up with five unintended penetrations of the outer fiberglass surface of the door!

I purchased some JB Metal marine repair epoxy and filled the holes with it from the outside. I plan to let this cure, then sand it down and paint the hole door. Fortunately it's a pretty small door. It took a while to find the right shade of white paint - I selected Ford Oxford White based on my eye and that of the two guys behind the Advance Auto Parts counter. I'll paint it this week and hopefully it'll turn out okay.

If I had it to do over again I would have first drilled the holes in the metal plate, then glued it on the door's inside surface, then easily drilled the plastic for the rivet holes - this drilling would have been much easier and controllable. Oh well, you know hindsight is almost always 20-20.

If you ever had to do some touch up painting on your 2007 Jayco, or camper of the same color, what shade of white did you find to be a good match?
Me
My lovely and gracious wife
Maggie, our Yellow Lab
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 23B
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited AWD
5 REPLIES 5

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
I completed the fix last night and it looks pretty good, though I did run the paint a little in a couple of places. I'll sand those out and lightly repaint while on our inaugural trip this weekend. It'll give me something to do between stints in the hammock!
Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'll tell you why I riveted the metal in. I had previously riveted the brackets to the plastic; the latch the holds the cargo door open broke one day and the door slammed shut and the bracket popped right out with the axe. I didn't want to repeat that. We'll se how it works now.
Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know why you wanted to rivet the metal down. Liquid nails will hold anything, veritually ... forever!

On my Chevy S-10 pick-up (1985 model), the front passenger turn signal feel out. Not just the lens, I mean the entire assembly. The plastic catches broke out and the thing was just hanging there under the bumper by the wires.

I picked up 2 tubes of Liquid nails. Put the assembly back in place and pumped everything full of Liquid Nails, except the hole where the light bulb fit. Well, after 10 years, the rest of the truck was falling apart, but that turn signal assembly was still in "there" rock solid, after 10 years of rain, snow, salt, heat, cold, and lots and lots of vibration and bouncing around!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I used Krylon Fusion white to paint the side mirrors on my white MH and it matched perfectly. I then went around and painted all the yellowing trim and painted the black trim around the entrance door to white. Painted the screws that had rusted also and it matched the original heads.

Can't tell the dif.

Don't know your RV so my disclaimer is to test a spot first! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use a stop block for the drill bit so it does not go to far in. These can be made cheaply from a scrap of wood. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH