cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moraine Campground in Colorado

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Setting reservations for Summer of 2015. Can someone let me know the best campsite that will accommodate a 31' trailer. I know they're all probably great, but there's always that one site that you wish you had versus the one your currently in.

Thanks.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)
12 REPLIES 12

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
There is a website that shows photos of the campsites at Moraine Park, but it's down right now. I will be there the weekend after Memorial Day, but I have a 29 foot Class A and no toad, so it's easier for me to find a fit. Most of the sites are back-in with a few pull-outs, but the pull-outs are tight for a larger rig, so you would do better picking out a back-in. My favorite, a back-in site that was long, wide and private, was on loop B (B174), but that loop hasn't been available in recent years on reservation, although it may be available first-come-first served. Here's a useful map that shows what sites will fit what lengths:
Campground map

GREAT resource!!! I checked that map against Google Earth. If it were me, I'd go with spaces 227, 230, or 232 -- looks like they've got a lot of space between them. They are near the amphitheatre, but that shouldn't be a significant issue. That B174 spot looks to be a really good one too.

If I can get in to there in the next couple weeks, I'll try to get a first hand perspective of those back loop sites.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
There is a website that shows photos of the campsites at Moraine Park, but it's down right now. I will be there the weekend after Memorial Day, but I have a 29 foot Class A and no toad, so it's easier for me to find a fit. Most of the sites are back-in with a few pull-outs, but the pull-outs are tight for a larger rig, so you would do better picking out a back-in. My favorite, a back-in site that was long, wide and private, was on loop B (B174), but that loop hasn't been available in recent years on reservation, although it may be available first-come-first served. Here's a useful map that shows what sites will fit what lengths:
Campground map
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

sherpaxc
Explorer
Explorer
Basically which are the best sites with the most privacy between sites. We all know every campground has a handfull of prime time spots. I've never been to this one so I have no idea.
08 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
sherpaxc wrote:
Any updates on this? I'm looking too.

What sort of info are you looking for?

I'm planning to head back up there in a week or so to scout out the area, barring any problems getting up there. CDOT is also starting to work on US34 in the Big Thompson Canyon, stabilizing some of the hillsides to prevent slides when spring run off season starts. US36 is still not a real viable route to get up there, too many construction delays and the road is not good for RV travel...and likely won't be for a while.

sherpaxc
Explorer
Explorer
Any updates on this? I'm looking too.
08 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Sure wouldn't hurt my feelings if they quit building campgrounds! I prefer boondocking, but most of the good spots on Forest Service land by lakes is occupied by campgrounds.

I am going to explore a different area this summer, which is about 5 hours from Denver. Should be able to get away from crowds, and campgrounds, but still be by a lake. That is my hope, anyhow.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Wow by the way the population of Colorado is increasing by 2015 there may not be any room for campgrounds

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Good way to start is to go to http://www.recreation.gov/. Start typing the campground name, then pick it from the list. Give it a date this summer, within a reservation window, and you can then see all kinds of info about the campground. You can put in your TT length, and it will give you options.

Then, go to the "Details" tab, and find the GPS coordinates. Copy them, and place them into GoogleEarth. Zoom way in, and you can see the campsites, and the pads. Use the "Measure" tool, and you can measure the sites, in case there are some longer ones that aren't listed as viable for you.

Switch back and forth between the Reservation site, and GoogleEarth, and you can get lots of info for the campground. Better than relying on info on the Reservation site, exclusively. And, in GE, you can somewhat see what the view is from each site, and how isolated each is.

Good luck!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

jbrowning
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this on Facebook to the Colorado RV Camping Group and will let you know if I hear anything.

Jim
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Ltr Extended Cab 4x4
1971 21ft Terry Travel Trailer

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
jbjuices wrote:
Setting reservations for Summer of 2015. Can someone let me know the best campsite that will accommodate a 31' trailer. I know they're all probably great, but there's always that one site that you wish you had versus the one your currently in.

Thanks.

Good that you're planning ahead for 2015! They fill up pretty fast up there during the season.

There's 252 total sites, 106 are designated as RV sites, with a maximum length of 40ft. Can't really advise you on that one site that's better than others, as it's pretty subjective. I was up there a few weeks ago and there's some sites open in the first section of the CG (it's open all year) and appeared to be several that could accommodate my 26 ft Outback w/slides. Deeper into the CG wasn't possible due to the snow, but in prior trips up there, there's been a good variety of trailers/RVs.

EDIT: I wasn't camping a few weeks back, was just scouting out the CG! TOO much snow for taking the trailer up yet !

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
jbjuices wrote:
Also, can someone let me know what the water spigots there are like. Do they have threads on them to hook a hose up to. The reason I ask is that I have a 45 Gal. portable water bladder and I fill it by the pressure of water through the hose. If it doesn't have threads, can someone give me hints on how to fill the bladder?
I always carry a water thief.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/index.cfm?Ntt=water+thief&N=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=primar...

I can't help you on the site size at that CG though.

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Also, can someone let me know what the water spigots there are like. Do they have threads on them to hook a hose up to. The reason I ask is that I have a 45 Gal. portable water bladder and I fill it by the pressure of water through the hose. If it doesn't have threads, can someone give me hints on how to fill the bladder?
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)