cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Battery Questions

altozwei
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't want to hijack the other thread but we just got our first popup that actually uses a battery. The old trailer never had one. Don't know if the battery is dead but suspect it is (former owner says he hasn't used the camper in a couple of years). In looking at it, I see that it controls the emergency break-away controller for the trailer, making it a necessity. Since we will likely be buying a new battery we don't want to make mistakes with it.

Question 1) the break-away cable is very rusty. Should it be replaced?
Question 2) When we are not using our camper, do we remove the battery or just disconnect it and leave it in the box?
Question 3) If you remove it, do you keep it on a charger when not camping or is there some other way to take care of it when not in use?
Patti & Steve
3 kids (but only 2 left at home)
1997 Starcraft Venture 2108
1997 Chevrolet Astro
7 REPLIES 7

altozwei
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller. Not what I would have purchased but it was free, it works great, it is very simple to operate, and it was easy to find the manual online. We keep our trailer at home, inside the fenced yard. As soon as we can get the garage cleaned out, it will move inside. Last summer, we got ants in our other trailer and I didn't think we were ever gonna get them out.
Patti & Steve
1997 Chevrolet Astro

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
altozwei wrote:
Really appreciate the helpful information. I'm reminded, too, that I need to go online and get the instructions for our brake controller. The seller gave us his and we had it installed but we didn't get any instructions with it. definitely several things here to put on the to-do list.

Hope it's a proportional controller and not a time-delay, but at any rate it's better than nothing!

Where are you planning to store the trailer? If it's anywhere that is easy for others to access (i.e. storage yard), I'd consider removing the battery and propane tanks when not in use to deter theft. Even along side of the house is prone to theft. One of the best things about most pop-ups we can store most in the garage at home!
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

altozwei
Explorer
Explorer
Really appreciate the helpful information. I'm reminded, too, that I need to go online and get the instructions for our brake controller. The seller gave us his and we had it installed but we didn't get any instructions with it. definitely several things here to put on the to-do list.
Patti & Steve
1997 Chevrolet Astro

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
You also need to ensure that the tow vehicle is not connected via the 7-way pig tail connection. This will send voltage back up to your brake controller and damage it, as per the instruction book that came with my controller.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some folks like to install a BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH. This makes it easy to disconnect the battery when not in use. It also lowers the possibility of you hooking the battery up backwards (VERY EASY TO DO) and blowing some fuses...

Here are many views of the different battery disconnect switches
DISCONNECT SWITCHES

Click on the one you like for more info..
I sort of like this idea using the disconnect switch that has a removable key - keeps the kids from playing with things... These can be mounted to the battery case lid or to the side of the battery case.

I use a more expensive Battery control switch made by BLUE SEA in my mulitple battery bank setup that has multi-positions and the contacts are sealed iside. It also makes before break reducing the chance of internal ARCING on the contacts.

Caution - If you pull the plunger out of the break-away cable unit just be aware it will be sending DC VOLTS to the electric brakes and will run down your battery pretty quick. Each electric brake Assy draws around 3 AMPS I think it is. Not good to leave the 12VDC on the electric brakes for any long length of time - might also burn out your brakes too... If it is going to take a long time reinstalling a new cable then pull the negative battery terminal to disconnect the source.

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

altozwei
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I'll get on that replacement today.
Patti & Steve
1997 Chevrolet Astro

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
altozwei wrote:
Question 1) the break-away cable is very rusty. Should it be replaced?
Yes, it should be replaced. It's not an expensive part.
Question 2) When we are not using our camper, do we remove the battery or just disconnect it and leave it in the box?
You can just disconnect it an leave it in the box
Question 3) If you remove it, do you keep it on a charger when not camping or is there some other way to take care of it when not in use?
It's up to you. Some people just store them, some keep them on a trickle charger.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer