cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More Slide Problems

skyking897
Explorer
Explorer
We have a '09 Salem LE 29BHBS with 2 slides. And that is where the problem is. Tried working the rear slide today and it will not retract completely. It stops about 12" from fully closed. It extends all the way normally and will retract to about 12" from closed and it just stops. Tried it 2-3 times and it stopped in the same place each time. I crawled underneath and don't see any problem with the track mechanism, even tried some lube on it but no difference. Anyone have any ideas?

PS. We have had the TT on a seasonal site for 6 years and wintered it with the slides out the last 3 years. And no there is nothing on top of the slide interfering.
12 REPLIES 12

skyking897
Explorer
Explorer
Had a off duty tech out to look at it. Says it's binding/sagging and adjustment should fix it. We shall see, he's coming back Friday to work on it.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fortunately, I can remove the cabinet floor panels and couch skirting and see the workings of my slide from the inside.

I sound like and obstruction of some sort.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are sure that nothing is underneath it blocking the retraction , see what brand it is and do a search of possible causes.
If its grinding, then it's a metal to metal issue i would guess some kind of binding/alignment issue of the track , rollers or the bolts came loose on the motor (you'll see the motor move). One person to operate it and the other checks the mechanics of it using a good light.

Less likely: Sometimes it's the factory install that's the problem and being you have not used your slide for years, that might be the case.

Could be an alignment issue with the track itself or not being square from the factory.

The following link has multi-pages and you might find the answer that pertains to your slide condition.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/forums/f25/slide-wont-go-back-in-9125.html

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried to manually close it? I would try that and see if it binds. If not, once closed run it out again and see if it closes.

skyking897
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the delay in answering but it's been raining here for 3 days and I couldn't get out to the trailer and check. Answers to your questions:
1 Nothing on top of the slide
2 I tried pushing on it while retracting, no difference
3 Didn't really notice until it was asked, but it does sort of grind to a halt, not a quick stop like I let go of the switch.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
My slide had limit switches. If the power suddenly stops rather than binds to a halt I would look there. I am not sure they use limit switches any more.

My question too. Does it slow and grind to a halt or--does it stop like it was switched off?

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
As the slide is retracting have someone push from the outside just before it gets to that point. A little extra pressure might make the difference and get it past that area. Is the limit/clutch making noise when you hit the point it stops?

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
My slide had limit switches. If the power suddenly stops rather than binds to a halt I would look there. I am not sure they use limit switches any more.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the slides have not moved for 3 years is it possible the slide has sagged and is now binding when going in?

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Something fall on top of it outside? I have to climb up and spray ours off with the hose before bringing it in. If there's a tree 300 yards away that loses a rotten branch, it'll be on our slide along with every leaf, pine needle and twig in the park. Some kid's Frisbee, soda bottle, dead cat... Does it grunt when you push the switch or does it quit electrically?
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

skyking897
Explorer
Explorer
I put a fully charged battery in today and even hooked booster cables to my truck. Front slide works perfectly, rear just stops about a foot from being closed. I looked but didn't see anything in the trailer or underneath that is blocking it from closing.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Slides operate using the 12V system.
>Are your batteries fully charged?
>Is your converter working properly?
>Is there anything on the inside that might be blocking the slide....like a shoe, toy, cabinet door open????
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro