cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mud Daubers/Hornets/Wasps

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone explain why the mud daubers (hornets/wasps?) Like to build their hive/nests in my TT? I have 1 in the furnace intake, 1 in the furnace exhaust, 1 under the rolled up awning, and 2 in the air vent over the master bedroom. Any suggesrtions on how to get rid of them without being stung? More importantly, how do I prevent them in the future?
23 REPLIES 23

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Insects are "hard wired," They have only instinct to get through the life cycle. There s no decision making process involved in nest location. Knock down a nest and it is very likely that they will return and restart a new one in the exact same spot. That is because they only have millions of years of instinct implanted in their tiny brains, and they will build where this instinct tells them to.

So that is the reason why. Don't believe it? Then disregard my 35 years in the insect business and Google it.

I will leave control of same to others.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
I had a mud dauber nest in the squirrel cage of one of my AC units last year and it locked it up. This year I added metal window screening to the inside of the AC cover vents to try to keep them from getting in.
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
They also build on the fan blades of your AC!
AC will sound like a bearing is out, and all it is is dauber nest!

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on the screens....furnace, frig and w/h. They're pricey little stinkers, but last a LONG time and look better, IMHO, than the DIY type. The ones we put on our '07 HTT still looked brand new when we sold it last spring. First purchase for the new TT.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Their favorite spot on my MH is under the awning. Every year! Raid.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
How to prevent them? Wish I knew!

First things I buy for any trailer is enough man screens to cover ALL orifices including fridge vents, furnace vent, water heater compartment slots in the door, etc. Never had any insect problem. Simple solution.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
They eat spiders so spiders must be about. You asked!

Dragonfly
Explorer
Explorer
These critters have an attraction to propane. The first thing to add to your new TT as summer approaches is a screen over your furnace vent to keep them out. Various shapes are available at most RV and camping supply dealers to fit your RV. Gas grills have the same problems, but, with them it is often with spiders crawling up the lines causing blockage. Who knows why. Perhaps the little buggers get high on the propane fumes. Carefully clean out the vents and add a screen and all should be OK.
DRAGONFLY - 2011, Provan Tiger CX, on a F350, 4WD, regular cab chassis

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't answer the 'why' but I get them in the same places. I spray their nest with the Raid for that purpose (for the furnace intake, I refrain from using the furnace for a while but I dismantle the nest and pull it out--or vacuum it out--once I'm sure the hornets are dead). This takes care of the problem--at least until next year. 😉 How to prevent them? Wish I knew!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8