cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Inverter Install

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been looking and reading on inverters and different installs and such, and I thought I'd share my install!

I decided to get a Pure Sine, and found a great deal on Amazon for a 1500w/3000w peak for $180 and got to work.

I mounted it in my battery box:

Hooked it up and powered it up:

I added a panel mount 120v plug on the side of my battery box to plug in to without having to open the box top:

Plugged in and ready to go!

I decided to go this route rather than getting a hard wired one with all the auto switching, simply because of cost. I just have to make sure I pull the charging fuses in the trailer before hooking up to it. We used it for the first time this weekend at a dry campground and it was awesome. We could go all night with things powered and running and still were at 11.8V in the morning. I then used the inverter generator with a battery charger to charge back up for about an hour, and good to go for the day.

Next up is some solar power so I don't have to take the generator!
Greatest bunkhouse I've ever seen! Elkridge 38RSRT, 2012 F-350
20 REPLIES 20

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
11.8 and charged up in an hour? You have some amazing stuff there. Good looking job.

What he said.!!
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Chad Heiser wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Hate to be a Debbie Downer but there's no way I'd mount any electrical device, especially in inverter, in the same closed compartment right beside a set of flooded batteries that during normal operation produce potentially explosive hydrogen gas. :E

What sound guy said is correct. The inverter should not be in the same box as the flooded batteries. It is an explosion hazard. Your outlet also needs to be covered and protected from weather/etc. It should be a GFCI outlet with proper cover on the exterior like that.

What they said!!
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
11.8 and charged up in an hour? You have some amazing stuff there. Good looking job.

Chad_Heiser
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Hate to be a Debbie Downer but there's no way I'd mount any electrical device, especially in inverter, in the same closed compartment right beside a set of flooded batteries that during normal operation produce potentially explosive hydrogen gas. :E

What sound guy said is correct. The inverter should not be in the same box as the flooded batteries. It is an explosion hazard. Your outlet also needs to be covered and protected from weather/etc. It should be a GFCI outlet with proper cover on the exterior like that.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s great having 110 without the gen running.

I would be cautious about hydrogen gas buildup near the inverter.
Also 11.8 volts is getting into battery damage territory.