cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nash 25C or Lance 2185 Travel Trailer?

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we've narrowed our search for a four-season TT that has bunks for our kids and are trying to decide betw the Nash 25C or the Lance 2185.

It almost seems that Nash "copied" the Lance as the Nash 25C just came out and Lance has been making the similar floorplan for a couple yrs - I think since 2011? or 2012?

We like the lightweight aluminum-frame construction of the Lance over the wood construction of the Nash.

However, there is more storage/wardrobe space in the Nash, with a larger counter in the kitchen, and I like the style of it better. I'm a "foodie" and one of the main reasons I like to "bring my kitchen along via a travel trailer" is so that I can prepare wholesome meals without eating junk/spending lots of $$$ in restaurants.

The new Nash could be bought for probably about $8000 cheaper too.

Any comments or ideas?

Thanks for all your help in the past.

Mary Kay in Ohio
92 REPLIES 92

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I agree MarkKay1, let's just let it be "gone with the wind" LOL You don't appear to be trying to get the last word in or anything of the sort. I'm not the arguing type! LOL

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Rhinowino,

Can you tell me more about the "Build Sheets?" Are those sheets/specs from the dealer to the manufacturer? Like if I placed an order, then they send it to Northwood?

Would I get a copy of one from Donald Cochran?
I'd like to see one before I go sending him that letter.
What sorts of options are you getting?

Hope I'm not bombarding you with too many questions!

Mary Kay

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue,

I am sorry to be trying to get the last word in, but maybe you are not reading a couple posts ago? Formaldehyde does NOT have an odor in homes or trailers etc. I think that "new car smell" is not formaldehyde but other xenoestrogens and BAAAAAD stuff......

To repeat --a home or trailer is high if it has 50 - 80 ppb and the odor threshold for formaldehyde is 830 ppb. Which means you don't smell it until it reaches 830 ppb, which would be using it when embalming a body, dissecting a frog etc.

LOL, I'm "letting this go" now....will not try to get the last word, no matter what you come back with!

Want to quit beating the dead formaldehyde horse..... : )

Mary Kay

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I was simply reiterating my response from your previous claim that:

"Just an FYI, formaldehyde has no odor"

It does have an odor and is considered to be problematic in the RV industry to a degree.

WoodGlue

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
I think many undertakers might disagree with you!

WoodGlue

Sorry WoodGlue, but I don't get it! An undertaker is using what is considered to be high concentrations --just like when you put a frog in it to preserve it....So yeh, they'd smell it....

There were studies on undertakers too! The main thing is if their rooms were well ventilated they did not have as many cancers, and of course, if they did fewer etc....

But the point is, they were actually studied due to their high exposure to formaldehyde....

Mary Kay

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I know this stuff about the formaldehyde is because I just researched the heck out of it before we put a large addition onto our home (and we've been living in an old crappy camper on our property during the remodel which is still going on!!!!!...sigh it's been 8 mos now!) So I tried to have everything formaldehyde free...I used real milk paint, formaldehyde-free plywood etc etc. So then I hire this all-natural painter and his co. to paint the interior. He's extremely sensitive to formaldehyde as his house was insulated in it years ago and he reacted and cannot live in any house built before 1939 I think it was....

Anyway --sorry this is so long......he did get a reaction after being in my house. Not bad, but there's still some even though most of the house was built in 1870 or so...Aha, but there were minor additions built 15 years ago with plywood........And then one part of the house was currently built with OSB, which I had the builders halt doing when I pulled into the driveway and freaked. Had them stop and made them pull some, but not all because I researched and most sources said if it's on the exterior envelope, it's okay.

The painter says this is absolutely not true --I should not have allowed them to leave the OSB at all but it was too late. I am glad that just to be safe, I had them use AdvanTech on the rest, which only cost $1100 extra.....

And here's more...He told me, and so I looked it up - that the reason formaldehyde is still so prevalent in things is b ecause it is something like 1 - 3% of our gross national product...(something like that, I can't remember) So there is just too much $$$ at stake to completely eliminate it.

Sad, no? Like lead in paint years ago, it probably works really well though too....

Probably TMI, but thought some may be interested....

Mary Kay

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I think many undertakers might disagree with you!

WoodGlue

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Well, what I should have said was "Formaldehyde in your house or trailer has no odor." Formaldehyde, like when you dissected a frog - does have an odor. But that's at REALLY high concentrations. Like a frog soaking in it!

Many people have been poisoned by formaldehyde in their homes/FEMA trailers etc because it is below the odor threshold (the lowest possible amt someone can smell) so they don't know it's even there.

If you look all over the web, you will see notes such as "formaldehyde in your home is especially dangerous because you cannot detect it as it is odorless..."

So I did some digging: The odor threshold for formaldehyde is 830 ppb.
A home or trailer is dangerously high at 50 - 80 ppb.
A medium concentration is 10 - 50 ppb.
Below 10 is low.

So the point is, even the levels that are extremely high in your home, are still 10X well below the odor threshold, so you would not be able to smell them.

And here's more from some of my notes: "Over 300 ppb is not safe to be around".....and this is well below the 830 ppb odor threshold as well...

And so I think those "new car smells" are other things, not the formaldehyde.....

HTH,

Mary Kay

Clattertruck
Explorer
Explorer
marykays1 wrote:
Woodglue,

Just an FYI, formaldehyde has no odor.

Mary Kay

Please be corrected:
A gas at room temperature formaldehyde is colorless and has a characteristic pungent, irritating odor. In view of its widespread use, toxicity and volatility, exposure to formaldehyde is a significant consideration for human health.
Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
marykays1 wrote:
Woodglue,

And thanks, I did not know a "build sheet" was an "options list." Good to know.

Thanks for all your input.

Mary Kay

Formaldehyde has a particularly strong odor.

Formaldehyde

Maybe you were thinking of some of the glues or polymers used in other trailers?

Have a great time with your new Nash!

WoodGlue

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Rhinowino,

In all seriousness, maybe we should go in together? We could approach some dealers with our lists: Rhiniwino wants abc, Mary Kay wants xyz. What kind of deal can you give us for two of them?

Would you like to pm me?

One time, I wanted to buy a juicer and I called the company, got some others together and they sold some to me at wholesale and I'm now a dealer. LOL, a tt is a far cry from a $200 juicer, but we may have some buying power that way.

Like "We'd both like to purchase from you --what kind of deal can you give us?" etc.

LMK! I think I'm going to start a new post to see if there are others as well!

Mary Kay

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Woodglue,

And thanks, I did not know a "build sheet" was an "options list." Good to know.

Thanks for all your input.

Mary Kay

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
marykays1 wrote:

One other reason we did not want a new one was due to the outgassing--don't know if you've researched it much but formaldehyde is in practically everything! It's cancer-causing etc and I really hope rv manufacturers start thinking about it more and advertising if they are more green.....

One of the reasons why I chose my Lance was the total lack of "new trailer odor" - very very minimal off-gassing in a Lance. You're right though, Lance isn't for everyone.

They're doing a great job trying to be a quality easily towable lightweight trailer.

Any good dealer should be able to provide you a "build sheet" or a Options cost sheet to you. My dealership had no qualms about giving me access to the dealer cost sheets.

WoodGlue

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Rhinowino,

There were two out in California, one in Arizona and one in Pa with whom I know for sure we'll be sending the letters to. Hey, you're in CA, so that's good for you.

What are "build sheets?" Specs on orders they have? Like, we don't want the microwave, add the ladder etc? Geez, I'd better get moving. So, what did you think of my letter? What options are you going with? Any of them similar to ours? If so, maybe we could have buying power and go to the same dealer if some of our options are the same?

One other reason we did not want a new one was due to the outgassing--don't know if you've researched it much but formaldehyde is in practically everything! It's cancer-causing etc and I really hope rv manufacturers start thinking about it more and advertising if they are more green.....

Mary Kay

rhinowino
Explorer
Explorer
I checked with Northwood last week and was told the Nash 25C is supposed to run the end of June or first part of July. Build sheets should be sent out this next week. I would be curious if they're any changes to the 2014's?

Mary Kay, please keep me posted as much as possible. I am also curious what dealer you go with since I am going to most likely be ordering 25C soon and don't have one close to me. I am willing to travel to pick up as well.