cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nash or Lance

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious. I'm wondering which most people would prefer, generally speaking.
I tend to lean toward the Nash between these two due to a video ad I saw for the Lance.
The spokesperson specifically pointed out the cutouts on the frame, and said that these frames are stronger and lighter because of these frame cutouts. I get the lighter but seriously doubt that removing material from the main frame of a TT is going to make it stronger. Especially considering the shock they get on or off the road. Of course you have to consider the source...lol
32 REPLIES 32

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
With all due respect to the poster about Lance, I don't care if they use Azdel or not, springing a leak is still a big deal. Delamination of a pinch rolled wall is a problem that can happen with water penetration regardless of what materials are being used.

rhinowino
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the Nash hands down especially if you get a unit with a slide out. I have done a lot of research and the Nash is built better & stronger and is also less money than the Lance. Don't get me wrong, Lance has done a good job but unless weight is a issue, take the 5K savings and buy a bigger truck. Last, Northwoods Mfg and their customer service has an outstanding reputation.

mwebber78
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to mention that Arctic Fox and Nash do offer a laminated side wall. Lance isn't entry level but I see the poster clarified that. The frames are the biggest difference - the heavy gauge steel and cambered all welded construction with heavy duty axles and larger tires is where a lot of the weight comes from. Not to mention, all the decking is T&G plywood - not light stuff.
2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
firemedic85 wrote:
Yes you are right my mistake. What I meant was Lance is a lightweight designed to be towed with 1/2 ton and more appealing in that respect.

North woods MFG is built with a stronger heavier duty frame with shock absorbers,and also 15 inch wheels.

Lance has lighter not as strong frame and smaller whelels. Not sure about shocks or not. If I were going to go off road my choice would be Northwoods.
Also With bigger wheels comes a stronger and beefier axle.

Lance is a great trailer but hard to compare. To the Lance is my point 2 different builds and different era.

With Lance, you can always flip the axle and get bigger 15" tires if you wanted I suppose. Dexter Torflex are the axles that they use set on a BAL frame. The Dexter's are a trailing arm type, which is nice.

Not that many people really take their TT's off road, but I do see your point. Nash mfgs their frames in-house, which is great!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

firemedic85
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you are right my mistake. What I meant was Lance is a lightweight designed to be towed with 1/2 ton and more appealing in that respect.

North woods MFG is built with a stronger heavier duty frame with shock absorbers,and also 15 inch wheels.

Lance has lighter not as strong frame and smaller whelels. Not sure about shocks or not. If I were going to go off road my choice would be Northwoods.
Also With bigger wheels comes a stronger and beefier axle.

Lance is a great trailer but hard to compare. To the Lance is my point 2 different builds and different era.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
firemedic85 wrote:
I'm sure if you had the choice it would be a flush slide out floor. I really liked the Lance but there fresh water capacity in comparison to Nash is not adequate. For someone that camps away from full hookups.

As mentioned these trailers compared to one another is not a equal comparison I see Lance as an Entry level light weight model.

Nash a more bullet proof heavyweight built much differently.

With all due respect, Lance could never be considered as an "entry level" trailer. There are 2 ways to build things; Heavy and good and that's Nash and Light and good and that's Lance. There is room in the RV Market for both types. Lance trailers weigh so much less due to the fact that they use an imported Spanish Poplar tree and they call it Lite-Ply. Almost 50% lighter than traditional plywood and it's a renewable resource!! Plus it's finished on both sides, which only adds to the aesthetics. Much lower VOC ratings too, as it's coming from Europe it has to be, so no off-gassing of formaldehyde and other nasties.

What Nash does is substantial with their builds, heavy marine grade tongue and groove plywood, wood studs and R-7 insulation. All good things to be sure, but heavy as heck.

Lance offers a very substantial build with extruded 2" foam core insulation, sandwiched between 2 layers of Azdel which carries its own fantastic R-value. Should a Lance spring a leak, no worries as Azdel doesn't absorb water, doesn't mold, mildew or grow algae - same with the 2" polystyrene. Also, Lance is pinch rolled as opposed to vacuum bonded. With Azdel, you don't get the telegraphing across the fiberglass finish. The chances of delamination with an Azdel substrate are MUCH lower!

Check out some into on Azdel:

Hanwa USA Made Azdel

Whereas if a Nash springs a leak, you're talking about major wood involvement and wet soggy insulation (all would need to be replaced) and then there is the issue of traditional delamination. Also, Lance seals it's roof vents using a inside clip in system, eliminating holes in the roof.

The water tanks are a side issue to most people. On several models, Lance offers an 80 gallon gray water tank, which most people would find sufficient for boon-docking. I'm not up to speed on the sizes of Nash water tanks so I'm at a disadvantage here to speaking about Nash's abilities.

To dismiss Lance as an "entry level trailer" is a huge disservice to Lance as well as the RV buying community as a whole. Don't forget Lance offers a fully functional 4 seasons package, with dual pane windows, heated enclosed holding tanks, dual stage furnaces, vent covers, Azdel, winterizing bypass switch, etc.

Thanks,

WoodGlue

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your comments. It helps having the insight from others.....
I like the gen. Compartment on the Nash 23d.

firemedic85
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure if you had the choice it would be a flush slide out floor. I really liked the Lance but there fresh water capacity in comparison to Nash is not adequate. For someone that camps away from full hookups.

As mentioned these trailers compared to one another is not a equal comparison I see Lance as an Entry level light weight model.

Nash a more bullet proof heavyweight built much differently.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
firemedic85 wrote:
Northwoods MFG has proven to be an industry leader. I like the Lance also but this is not a valid comparison.

Nash fresh water capacity and flush slide outs to name a few. Lance frame does not allow slider to be flush with floor deal breaker.

Some folks, like myself actually like the elevated slide-out. It's a quirky offering, but one I've grown accustomed to!

On the 2385, the rear bed slides out flush, which is nice!

WoodGlue

firemedic85
Explorer
Explorer
Northwoods MFG has proven to be an industry leader. I like the Lance also but this is not a valid comparison.

Nash fresh water capacity and flush slide outs to name a few. Lance frame does not allow slider to be flush with floor deal breaker.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer Nash as well. I will admit that Lance has done a good job with floor plans, but I believe that the Nash will hold up better long term.

mwebber78
Explorer
Explorer
mark1228 wrote:
I prefer Nash.

I agree, they lost me with the Norco stamped steel frame. Based on my use, I had frame flex issues with a Norco framed trailer I owned previously. Also, that type of frame doesn't allow a flush floor slide.
2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Lance is stronger due to the use of 2 layers of Azdel in their siding, much stronger and more lightweight than the wood that Nash (Northwoods Mgf) uses. Higher R value too!

Some info about what Azdel is:

Azdel Onboard

Take a look at the Lance lineup:

Lance Trailer Selector

WoodGlue

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer Nash.

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
I see that Nash makes smaller TT's but I was interested in a smaller nit with a slide. Appears that the smallest Nash with a slide out is a 23d. Which I like but prefer smaller..
Thanks for your comments..