cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navistar to start building GM midsize Vans

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I guess since Ford and CAT ended their partnership with Navistar(International) to build their trucks and engines, now GM will being partnering with them to build their midsize vehicles.

Navistar to Build Vans for GM Under Long-Term Contract
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
22 REPLIES 22

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
I guess since Ford and CAT ended their partnership with Navistar(International) to build their trucks and engines, now GM will being partnering with them to build their midsize vehicles.

No where does it say they are building engines for GM just building, assembling putting together GM supplied parts? As for what they will be building in the medium truck GM arena. Are they building any? Other then using Isuzu Motors rebadged as Chevy's? LINK LINK to Chevrolet commercial web page What do they make at the Wentzville, Mo plant? OK looks like they build the Express, Savana, Colorado, Canyon. So maybe this move is to open up more production capacity for the new Colorado & Canyon? Still can't find anything as to what mid-size trucks they build there. Unless they are considering the cut away as a mid-size truck?

Don

Where did I say they are building engines?

This was not directed at you, I quoited you to get the link to the story. Others were making comments about the Ford/Navistar engine partnership. Sorry for the confusion should have made it clearer.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
ShinerBock,

Feast your eyes my boy on the Silverado 2003 brochure information link below and notice the 6.6 Duramax has 300 HP and 520 torque in 2003 just like I told you. Research the 2001 and 2002 actual GM Silverado brochures which are available FREE on the Internet and you'll also see the 6.6 Duramax also had 300 HP and 520 torque for those years too. I sure wish you had a clue about real FACTS!

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/2003/chevrolet/silveradohd/guide.html

No need to converse with you any further on the topic!

I guess you missed it where I stated......

ShinerBock wrote:

I guess the guys a Duramaxhub.com need to be notified that their numbers on their timeline I posted earlier are incorrect then if that is the case.

I sure wish you could read before making an ass of yourself!

And yes, I still don't think a 300 hp / 520 lb-ft Duramax is "eating the lunch" of a 275 hp / 525 lb-ft Powerstroke. That is not enough of a power difference to even notice let alone eating any lunches.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock,

Feast your eyes my boy on the Silverado 2003 brochure information link below and notice the 6.6 Duramax has 300 HP and 520 torque in 2003 just like I told you. Research the 2001 and 2002 actual GM Silverado brochures which are available FREE on the Internet and you'll also see the 6.6 Duramax also had 300 HP and 520 torque for those years too. I sure wish you had a clue about real FACTS!

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/2003/chevrolet/silveradohd/guide.html

No need to converse with you any further on the topic!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
How did you folks turn this into a engine thread and why?

It's easy. Just type any truck name in any sentence and they're taking the bait. Kinda like when you're at a Fish hatchery and you throw a rock in the water. All the Fish swim towards it thinking it's food.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:

Good question. My answer is just business as usual. :B

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
ShinerBock,

Nope! In 2003 and the first half of 2004, the LB7 Duramax had 300 HP and 520 torque which was replaced with the LLY engine for the second half of the 2004 model year production (mid year introduction). Was referred to as the 2004.5 model having 305 HP and 605 torque. I still own one! Also owned a 1984 6.2 GM diesel and it was loud just like the Ford 7.3.

There seems to be some confusion between the 6.5 diesel engine and the LB7 to some.

One of the biggest reasons the Duramax from day one was handing lunch to both Ford with it's 7.3 diesel and Dodge with it's 5.9 Cummins was the so much quieter Duramax diesel engine first introduced in 2001. The 7.3 prior to the 6.0 first introduced in 2003 was still the very old design diesel loud rattling engine. So was the 5.9 Cummins.

Navistar will only be installing engines GM produced or has total corporate control over as to design and manufactured engines. GM is world wide unlike FCA or Ford with their having some select countries of presence and GM is expanding even much further for world sales. Navistar is and will simply just be another link in their very long chain or another tooth on the huge gear of owned and/or controlled divisions/entities.

I guess the guys a Duramaxhub.com need to be notified that their numbers on their timeline I posted earlier are incorrect then if that is the case.

The noise reduction has to do with the added pilot injection of the injectors, not the design of the engine. The use of "handing them their lunch" is still comical, but logic goes out the window when dealing with a fan boy.

Also, the global reach of were Ford and GM vehicles are sold are just about equal. I don't know where you are getting the "select countries" from? FCA is also a major global seller with a brand available especially on the medium and heavy duty truck markets through Iveco.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
It is FULL-SIZE VANS
They are Cut-away
They are assembling

It has nothing to do with engines.

This was a decision for GM to increase production of the Mid-Size Pickup - Colorado and Canyon as well as the old, out-dated, full-size, body-on-frame Express and Savana vans.

These vehicles are built in the same plan plant in Missouri, USA. GM is running the plant 24 hours a day, 6 and 7 days a week. They can not produce enough to satisfy demand.

X 2 on the full size van. It's right there clearly in the text of the link.

GM has not made any mid size vans for about a decade, when they shut down the Chev Astro/ GMC Safari, RWD, mid size van production line.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock,

Nope! In 2003 and the first half of 2004, the LB7 Duramax had 300 HP and 520 torque which was replaced with the LLY engine for the second half of the 2004 model year production (mid year introduction). Was referred to as the 2004.5 model having 305 HP and 605 torque. I still own one! Also owned a 1984 6.2 GM diesel and it was loud just like the Ford 7.3.

There seems to be some confusion between the 6.5 diesel engine and the LB7 to some.

One of the biggest reasons the Duramax from day one was handing lunch to both Ford with it's 7.3 diesel and Dodge with it's 5.9 Cummins was the so much quieter Duramax diesel engine first introduced in 2001. The 7.3 prior to the 6.0 first introduced in 2003 was still the very old design diesel loud rattling engine. So was the 5.9 Cummins.

Navistar will only be installing engines GM produced or has total corporate control over as to design and manufactured engines. GM is world wide unlike FCA or Ford with their having some select countries of presence and GM is expanding even much further for world sales. Navistar is and will simply just be another link in their very long chain or another tooth on the huge gear of owned and/or controlled divisions/entities.
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

No where does it say they are building engines for GM just building, assembling putting together GM supplied parts? As for what they will be building in the medium truck GM arena. Are they building any? Other then using Isuzu Motors rebadged as Chevy's? LINK LINK to Chevrolet commercial web page What do they make at the Wentzville, Mo plant? OK looks like they build the Express, Savana, Colorado, Canyon. So maybe this move is to open up more production capacity for the new Colorado & Canyon? Still can't find anything as to what mid-size trucks they build there. Unless they are considering the cut away as a mid-size truck?

Don

Where did I say they are building engines?
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
ShinerBock,

I lived it!

2003 Duramax 6.6 LB7 engine specs:

Specifications[edit]
Engine type: 6,599 cc (402.7 cu in) V8 turbo
Bore x Stroke: 4.06 in (103 mm) x 3.90 in (99 mm)
Block / Head: Iron / aluminum
Aspiration: Turbocharged & Intercooled
Valvetrain: OHV 4-V
Compression: 17.5:1
Injection: Direct; Robert Bosch GmbH high pressure common-rail
Power / Torque: 300 bhp (220 kW) @ 3100 rpm / 520 lb·ft (705 N·m) @1800 rpm
Source:[2]

From the engineering manual!

"Eating their lunch" as in sales!

That is for the 2004 Duramax which was after Ford already made the change to the 6.0L so they were reacting to "getting their lunch eaten". The 2001-2003 LB7 had 235 hp and 500 lb-ft which was less than the 2001-2003 7.3L.

DURAMAX TIMELINE

POWER STROKE TIMELINE

They weren't necessarily "eating their lunch" in sales either.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
It is FULL-SIZE VANS
They are Cut-away
They are assembling

It has nothing to do with engines.

This was a decision for GM to increase production of the Mid-Size Pickup - Colorado and Canyon as well as the old, out-dated, full-size, body-on-frame Express and Savana vans.

These vehicles are built in the same plan plant in Missouri, USA. GM is running the plant 24 hours a day, 6 and 7 days a week. They can not produce enough to satisfy demand.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock,

I lived it!

2003 Duramax 6.6 LB7 engine specs:

Specifications[edit]
Engine type: 6,599 cc (402.7 cu in) V8 turbo
Bore x Stroke: 4.06 in (103 mm) x 3.90 in (99 mm)
Block / Head: Iron / aluminum
Aspiration: Turbocharged & Intercooled
Valvetrain: OHV 4-V
Compression: 17.5:1
Injection: Direct; Robert Bosch GmbH high pressure common-rail
Power / Torque: 300 bhp (220 kW) @ 3100 rpm / 520 lb·ft (705 N·m) @1800 rpm
Source:[2]

From the engineering manual!

"Eating their lunch" as in sales!

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.