cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice on my first camper truck

Dr_Science
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm a long time camper and sometime van dweller, but now I've repurposed and am looking for a vehicle to carry an 8-ft Alaskan camper (which I'm also searching for). I do a lot of travel in remote areas with awful roads so I'm looking for a fairly short vehicle, hi clearance 4WD, probably a standard-cab American pickup with a short lift (2-3") and some bash plates added. It must have a payload capacity of 3680 lb to carry my projected loads, and it wouldn't hurt to have some excess on that since it will almost always be carrying the camper. So that means marginally a 2500-class or easily a 3500-class pickup. I've never owned such a big rig before. I'm considering both gas and diesel, each seems to have its own merits and flaws, but engines for those rigs range from 5.3 to 7.8 liter; how important is that displacement, really, if not worried about maintaining 80 mph on the Interstate? Also I notice a lot of options for alternator capacity; if I have the choice, should I go for 300 A or more capacity? Are front-end suspension upgrades desirable for this kind of load? Are stock engine cooling systems adequate, or will upgrades be needed? What else should I be thinking about in the areas of suspension and protection?
19 REPLIES 19

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a vintage 70โ€™s Alaskan on a manual trans Dodge diesel. A flat deck or utility typebed with camp boxes for outdoor kitchen facilities on the trail or on the road would have rounded out the package nicely.

My current gas 2012 F350 is a nice camper hauler, factory locking rear diff, manual hubs, manual transfer case, low range available in 2 wd for slow trailer backing. It is a cab and chassis model I think the nekked payload is around 4000 lbs. Mine has the rear gas tank so the spare does not fit under the chassis like a pickup.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove a 2500 Dodge Ram, LB, CC with a 2019 truck camper on it from FL to OR.
Perfectly matched truck/camper weights. Added airbags to truck. No way in hell would I even consider driving a truck camper at 80 mph on the interstate... even on a good traveling day. A whole different ball game to me. Just my 2 cent worth.

My 2500 did great, gas, 5.7 Hemi... if I were to do it again, I would get one with a slide and go the 3500/350 route.. dually.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Any 3500 truck will have an engine plenty powerful enough to haul around a truck camper. I don't see any need for diesel based on the little info you shared. Unless you plan on installing a huge battery bank and inverter with custom high current wiring to the truck's electrical system I think any stock alternator on a 3500 series truck will be fine.
If you notice that Ford trucks with the 6.0 and 6.4 diesel are less expensive than other models you should know it's for good reason. Those engines are highly problematic and expensive to maintain and repair.
I'd look for a GM with the 6.0 or 8.1 gas. With the 6.0 gas a 6 speed automatic will be far better than the older trucks with 4 speed automatics.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geo*Boy wrote:
Look for a 350/3500 series, SRW, 4x4, with gas engine and 6 speed transmission.

Agreed. Best to have a 350/3500 SRW or DRW truck. Gas is fine. If you can afford a newer truck the ten speed trannies are the cats meow. If the truck has been prepped for plowing with the heavy duty front end that's a plus but not critical. Good hunting.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look for a 350/3500 series, SRW, 4x4, with gas engine and 6 speed transmission.