cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need opinion ice maker vs yeti in texas

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
We camp for 4-7 days at a time, and usually mountain bike (or have some sort of outdoor activity) each day. We will typically take about 60lbs of ice with us in coolers, but often find that we have to go buy another 60lbs every 3 days. I would like to avoid leaving camp so much if possible, and wanted opinions on portable ice makers vs heavy duty cooler.

The portable ice maker is slightly cheaper at about $200-$250 and states it will make about 30 lbs per day. I figure we would realistically only get about 15 lbs per day out of it as we wont get it at night and wont be able to watch it constantly.

The cooler would be a Yeti type (maybe Pelican brand) and size would be a 50qt. I believe the price on these are close to $350, and the intent is to fill it completely with ice prior to leaving the house.

So, what do those of you in the hotter climates do for ice in the summer?
Aaron Kennedy
18 REPLIES 18

aepowell
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the ice maker it was just to much trouble for the amount of ice you get. I had a 350.00 unit and it did what it said it would do. The only problem is you have to be there to dump it. I would not recomend it for camping unless you don't ever leave the trailer.
Anthony & Margie Powell
Sherman,Tx.
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B
2013 Ram Slt Lonestar(yea its got a HEMI)

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
llowllms wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Here is a link to a small ice maker that I found on google.

http://www.compactappliance.com/IP210TI-Compact-Edgestar-Portable-Ice-Maker/IP210TI.html

Some are even less than your target $225 list price. I think it is the kind that I saw at a campout, where the owner put in a quart of water, then a small pump in the bottom of the machine pumps this into the ice mold, it makes ice into a strainer type basket (think silverware tray in your dishwasher) and then any melting refills the water reservoir, so it will make it back into ice.

It makes ice in 10 minutes or less so you can make more than enough while being around the camp site. Even in 90 degree+ weather I only have to add to the cooler once or twice a day. Of course I don't go through 60#'s a day. Even Coleman recommends that you not drain the water off often as it helps with the cooling affect. I run a vinegar water solution through the ice maker once a year and that eliminates any build up of contaminates in the water. Like every thing, ice machines need routine maintenance.

I purchased one of these four years ago and it was well worth the the price. We take it on every camping trip and use it regularly. We haven't purchased ice since the purchase. We make ice for the cooler before the trip starts and use it until time to depart. We have saved more than the purchase price.
They list several models, from 20 - 30 pounds capacity with many reviews to read on each one.

Yes they look like they would work, however with just a 2.5 pound capacity, they can only hold a small amount of ice, and you would need to stop by at lunch time, dinner time, and a hour later to "Harvest" the ice into another freezer in order to get anywhere near 25 pounds a day. That is 10 times harvesting 2.5 pounds out of the ice maker and adding 1-1/2 quarts of water each time.

You will also need to dispose of the used water every once in a while. Water had minerals in it, and these typically are not frozen to the ice mold, so the minerals collect at the bottom of the tank.

Fred.

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Here is a link to a small ice maker that I found on google.

http://www.compactappliance.com/IP210TI-Compact-Edgestar-Portable-Ice-Maker/IP210TI.html

Some are even less than your target $225 list price. I think it is the kind that I saw at a campout, where the owner put in a quart of water, then a small pump in the bottom of the machine pumps this into the ice mold, it makes ice into a strainer type basket (think silverware tray in your dishwasher) and then any melting refills the water reservoir, so it will make it back into ice.

I purchased one of these four years ago and it was well worth the the price. We take it on every camping trip and use it regularly. We haven't purchased ice since the purchase. We make ice for the cooler before the trip starts and use it until time to depart. We have saved more than the purchase price.
They list several models, from 20 - 30 pounds capacity with many reviews to read on each one.

Yes they look like they would work, however with just a 2.5 pound capacity, they can only hold a small amount of ice, and you would need to stop by at lunch time, dinner time, and a hour later to "Harvest" the ice into another freezer in order to get anywhere near 25 pounds a day. That is 10 times harvesting 2.5 pounds out of the ice maker and adding 1-1/2 quarts of water each time.

You will also need to dispose of the used water every once in a while. Water had minerals in it, and these typically are not frozen to the ice mold, so the minerals collect at the bottom of the tank.

Fred.

Can-AmDuo
Explorer
Explorer
When using a cooler I make my own ice blocks with plastic half gallon milk jugs. Put the frozen water jug in the cooler. Blocks last longer than cubes and ice water available as it melts. With the ice melting in the sealed jug the inside of the cooler remains dry.
Brenda
Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife got it on Amazon, I think it is a Magic Chef. The Magic Chef, NewAir and Edgestar are all made by the same company.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
I saw the Pelican coolers at costco as well. I really wish they would sell a portable ice maker (I love the costco warranty).

What type of ice maker did you purchase, and where from?
Aaron Kennedy

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just saw the Pelican brand at Costco, and I think that will be the one were most interested in. The prices seem a little bit higher online as opposed to the store price. We also have a portable ice maker that will be making it's maiden voyage with us in July.

If memory serves, the 95qt was 299 and the 65qt was $249
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
I think the one I have for TT Is also an Emerson. I use it hard and it keeps up. I buy a gallon or two of the least expensive bottled water dump it in and I'm good to go. If I have too much ice I bag it and freeze it.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Re reading your OP, with the type of portable ice maker we have, it shuts itself off when the basket is full and keeps it frozen. You would not have to check on it. If you're putting drinks, etc in the cooler, you'd probably want to start with a bag or two from the store to get things cold, but making as much as it will in one day should keep you pretty much supplied.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_S wrote:
I'm curious what you do with 60 pounds of ice.

Our refrigerator keeps plenty of cold drinks.

-- Chuck

We camp with 3-8 people at a time. When we ride our bikes we use quite a bit of ice in our camelbak's. We also usually have 2-4 coolers full of drinks and excess food as our fridge only holds so much when you have that many people.
Aaron Kennedy

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We recently got a portable ice maker through ebay and it's the best investment we've made in a long time. Liked it sooo much we bought one for a friend for a birthday gift - and NO we don't usually spend that much for a friend gift. Ours happens to be an Emerson and I paid $148 including free shipping. It makes 26 - 28# per day. When we get to the site, we plug it in, pour in the amount of water - think it's a gallon - and by the time we're completely finished with the mat and chairs under the awning, there is enough ice for a couple of cold "somethings". DH feels that he absolutely HAS to have ice and I was of the mind that spending the $ for 2 or 3 bags every trip and then dumping it out was crazy. I know, doing the math, $148 vs $5 - $6 doesn't seem to make sense, but I am thinking long term and the convenience. Right now Sam's has a very comparable one for $99. You surely don't need to spend the amount you were thinking. Ours has adjustments for small, med and large cubes. Weather permitting, we set it on a table outside the door and plug it into the side of the trailer. One time a storm blew through and we just unplugged it, covered it with a plastic trash bag and it was fine. We also have JUST enough room on our countertop to put it indoors if necessary. Ours weighs right at 30#, so is plenty easy to move around.

We find that even though the basket holds just a certain amount, by the time we fill a couple of glasses for tea or whatever, it's refilled pretty quickly....seems like it said something like 6 minutes per tray - not the basket, just the freezing mechanism. Unless you had a large group, you'd likely not run out of ice through the day...be sure to check your water supply every so often.

Suggest you check Sam's, ebay and Amazon because the prices change by the minute, it seems. And triple check for free shipping if you order. They mix them all together and I avoid shipping charges whenever possible.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the idea I read here on freeing ice up in large size chunks. Will have to give that idea a try here.

We do pretty good keeping up with our ice usage but end up going for food supplies every three days anyway so bringing back more ice then is ok with us.

Storing the ice chest in the shade is must do thing for use. Sometimes I sit my ICE CHEST in the creek and tie it off... That really works good too...

I too have been thinking about the ICE maker and I have a great spot for it on our OFF-ROAD POPUP front deck. It would require another power source to come up with. This GOOGLE PHOTO is what I have and could fit a ICE MAKER right up against the trailer wall here.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

roaming_elevati
Explorer
Explorer
If your looking at yeti check out Orca. Great coolers all American made and cheaper.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sam's club has a yeti copy made by Coleman? which they compare to the yeti.
bumpy