cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New 12V outlets

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have enough 12V outlets in my camper and I'm getting really tired of the huge cigarette lighter form factor for 12V power.

I'm thinking about creating 5.5 X 2.1mm female power outlets in my camper instead.Using these.

That seems to be the most common barrel connector in use. Have any of you guys done something similar? Is this a crazy idea?

When I do this I will also put some USB outlets in too.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel
18 REPLIES 18

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
Freep wrote:
joeshmoe wrote:
The only thing about those is after a bunch of repeated use, they tend to fit sloppily into their respective counter part. I have a couple I use in the garage and I have to jiggle them every time to make a connection.

Those?

Did I ompletely confuse you to the point of not understanding anything I said? I'm terribly sorry if I've offended you somehow.

I didn't know what "those" was referring to. I'm not offended, I was just asking for clarity. Thanks for clearing it up.
2014 Lance 992

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I personally think your โ€œthoseโ€ meant 5.5 mm connections

Yes. The barrel connectors. My mistake for assuming it was evident.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Isn't most everything charged these days USB? Those look pretty 90s.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
joeshmoe wrote:
Did I ompletely confuse you to the point of not understanding anything I said? I'm terribly sorry if I've offended you somehow.

Although in order, Iโ€™m thinking the response was because lots of different things have been discussed on the thread. I personally think your โ€œthoseโ€ meant 5.5 mm connections, but I have no idea either. I think a quote of the post you were responding to would have cleared it up.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Freep wrote:
joeshmoe wrote:
The only thing about those is after a bunch of repeated use, they tend to fit sloppily into their respective counter part. I have a couple I use in the garage and I have to jiggle them every time to make a connection.

Those?

QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
If your looking for a better connector than a cigarette lighter you might look into Anderson power poles. Check out Powerwerx.com for a good selection of parts and pieces.

+1
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:

Those?
2014 Lance 992

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I added 12v and USB ports last summer using Marinco and Blue Seas parts.

Adding 12v and USB ports

Similar project in my TT
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Freep wrote:
Have any of you guys done something similar?
I have some 5.5mm coming out my ceiling. Thought they would be more useful for 12v lighting or other little gadgets.

Never use them. Everything is either 5v USB or a different connector.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If your looking for a better connector than a cigarette lighter you might look into Anderson power poles. Check out Powerwerx.com for a good selection of parts and pieces.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
Make sure you can get the male plugs with the same current ratings. I did a quick search and only found ones rated for 0.5A. Did not do an extensive search by any means so there are probably some highed current ones out there.

Only downsides I see are having a non-standard plug/receptacle configuration will keep you from using whatever the item is in some other vehicle or RV and normally the load side has the female connector and the power supply has the male. The female connector is much easier to short out.

These ones have higher 5Amp rating. https://www.amazon.com/43x2pcs-Connectors-Security-Lighting-MILAPEAK/dp/B072BXB2Y8/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3...

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start here on wire size..scroll down. For solar but it is a start. https://www.windynation.com/jzv/inf/choosing-right-wire-size
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I'd be routing the proper gauge wire back to a fuse block. The male plugs I've found top out at 5 amps and I'm not getting rid of the current "shock yourself when you stick your finger in it" receptacles.

I've found quite a few cables with male plugs on both ends and I already have adapters from this size to pretty much every other size.

I wish we could settle on standard plugs for DC. It seems like they come out with a new plug every year.
2014 Lance 992