Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Big Dog on the block

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2015-ford-f-450-super-duty-platinum-first-test/

article in Motor Trend this month.

I might trade my old Dodge for this thing.

wow, $75K tow 31,200

that should handle my little Jayco, at least I would look good driving it around,
81 REPLIES 81

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
To be honest, when talking about front ends, our GM trucks with the supposedly weak independent suspension has had less work done on them.

This has been my experience as well, owning both Ford and GM trucks.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Ford, and the Ford before that and the Dodge before that and thd Chevy before that.
The days of buying a bad vehicle are long behind us. This thread is just chest puffing about brand loyalty and justification for our purchases. The next thread should be about who's Dad is tougher.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
boshog wrote:

I would chose GM over Ford because of Ford's past warranty denials, over Chrysler because their service can't fix much of anything.

Funny you should says that about Chrysler, I had my 2001.5 RAM to the dealer twice, to get the high idle enabled(took the TSB along the second trip and showed the tech where to turn it on). In 14 years and 130K it never saw a dealer for anything else.

Chris

Lucky you. I have two RAMs, 2013 1500 and a 2015 3500. The 1500 has been back in eight times to three different dealers to get the front heated seats to heat, they still don't.

The 3500 has seen 16 days of service trying to get the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBM) fixed. Now it looks like the issue is a design problem (2015 was a new design). The ITBM will only output 70% of 12 volts at speeds under 30 MPH, not enough for bigger electric brakes as many of us have learned the hard-way.

Also, the tire pressure information system (TPIS, not the same as TPMS) will not stay in my EVIC display, they reconfigure my vehicle (add the sales code for the pressure display), reflash it, tire pressure screen works for a while then disappears, again.

I'm not going to put all the blame on the dealers, their workshop manuals just do not have the necessary information for troubleshooting a problem. For example, to test my ITBM, they connected a fan blower motor to the brake output, because the motor turned STAR (Chrysler's tech help line) said the ITBM was working as designed, hard to believe isn't it?

These are all nickle and dime problems but I shouldn't be experiencing them.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

I still don't see where you think the Ford is built superior to the others. It's not any better in bad weather either.

"bad weather" conditions

This link will show you what extreme winter does to roads and machinery in the far north. The front suspension/steering on the F S/Ds is known up here to survive these conditions better than the others.

Nothing to do with the Cummins though.
Serious question to you??
If all three major 250/2500 to 5500 series brands could be had with any of the currently available three diesel engine choices; do you think the sales of the current Cummins powered truck would increase or decrease?

Serious answer. I have replaced just as many front end parts on our Fords as I have all of our other trucks so I don't see your point. If they don't hold up any better here why would they hold up any better there. To be honest, when talking about front ends, our GM trucks with the supposedly week independent suspension has had less work done on them.

The biggest truth to the matter that I have found in fleets is that the operator of the vehicle has a chosen preference in the brand they like. The numbers show that more people are Ford fans. So when you take a Ford fan and put them in a Ram or GM or any other competing brand they tend to not care as much as to how they treat the truck. I see it day in and day out. I had a guy just the other day (that is in line for one of the next new trucks we are to buy) that said he is trying to blow his up because he is ready for a new one.

I have another guy that literally beat his last truck up to the point it had stress dents in it from the inside out from running on such uneven ground it would twist the truck so much it buckled body panels. The new truck he got is his preferred brand and he has babied it so far and actually washes it.

Me? I'm a little different. I have been driving F-series service trucks ever since I got my first one 25 years ago but I prefer Rams. I still take care of them buy washing them, walking on the job site instead of running very rough and muddy conditions and dodging potholes on the road. Funny though that I have replaced every wearable part on my F350's front end but yet the Chevy truck I talked about earlier that was beat on only had two ball joints replaced in 215,000 miles.

I'm not saying one truck is better than the other but I am saying that the proof in my files show that the F-series trucks don't hold up better than any other truck we have or had.

What's funny is that just this weekend I was on a trip with my FIL looking at different campgrounds for us to try this year and we always are looking at trucks on the road. We were amazed at how many 70-80's Chevrolet that we saw. They were everywhere this weekend. LOL I don't remember seeing 1 Dodge or Ford of that era running the roads. It sucks too because he is a GM man and I'm a Ram. LOL
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
boshog wrote:

I would chose GM over Ford because of Ford's past warranty denials, over Chrysler because their service can't fix much of anything.

Funny you should says that about Chrysler, I had my 2001.5 RAM to the dealer twice, to get the high idle enabled(took the TSB along the second trip and showed the tech where to turn it on). In 14 years and 130K it never saw a dealer for anything else.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

I still don't see where you think the Ford is built superior to the others. It's not any better in bad weather either.

"bad weather" conditions

This link will show you what extreme winter does to roads and machinery in the far north. The front suspension/steering on the F S/Ds is known up here to survive these conditions better than the others.

If all three major 250/2500 to 5500 series brands could be had with any of the currently available three diesel engine choices;

If I could buy a GMC 3500 HD with the Allison transmission and Cummins 6.7L engine, then it would be in my driveway. I would chose GM over Ford because of Ford's past warranty denials, over Chrysler because their service can't fix much of anything.

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:

"bad weather" conditions

If all three major 250/2500 to 5500 series brands could be had with any of the currently available three diesel engine choices; do you think the sales of the current Cummins powered truck would increase or decrease?
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
The most popular sport franchises in America are the DNC and the GOP....Truck brand worship is a close second...

Yup 😄
And it probably just human nature that the team that's perpetually in third spot looks for opportunities to go after the first place team whenever they are mentioned..... :W
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
The most popular sport franchises in America are the DNC and the GOP....Truck brand worship is a close second...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
OMG!
I guess I better start saving for the major repairs as my TV falls apart around me! :S
This all at only 289,000 miles, running maxed at capacitys.

My cousin's Super Duty CC 7.3 PSD has ~350,000 miles and still has the original seat covers. :W

Is that seat covers, or stock seat upholstery?

I did have the seam repaired, but the seat is factory.

My white 98's seats all look like that at 345K. They guy I bought it from at 313K put covers on it from day one.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
OMG!
I guess I better start saving for the major repairs as my TV falls apart around me! :S
This all at only 289,000 miles, running maxed at capacitys.

This one only has 400K on it, my Son better scrap it.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Looking under the F450 and not seeing an AAM rear axle would steer me to the Ford. Even after owning four Cummins Rams, my lethargic 5.4L F250 is still complaint free after six years and 87k miles. The Ram lost it for me when they went with the hydroformed chassis and AAM rear end.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Yep my cousin... He's been wrenching on diesel trucks starting at a Ford dealer in '93 and now works mainly on Ram diesel's"

Must be semi retired.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
v10superduty wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

My website?:h

This is your profile?
transamz9

Currently: Offline

RVing since: N/A

No. of posts: 2,089 ( average posts per day: 1.05 ) View Posts | Notify Me of New Posts

No , that is a couple fishing buddies that I have that I am a member and admin on.

Well I'm sorry for assuming it was yours.
Was part of your profile so I just thought so!

Then I guess you don't know about what I mentioned, so no harm no foul.
I will end it here.

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.