cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Dually - Need Hitch, Toolbox, Rolling Cover Advice

JAL_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up the new TV yesterday -- 2021 RAM 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab Long Box, Dually. Need advice on getting it ready for the Fiver (2021 Jayco Eagle 336 FBOX -- Dry Pin 2,215 lbs. GRWR 13,750 lbs.)

Hitch -- Hearing B&W a lot. TV has the factory prep four puck system.

Toolbox -- TV has the 50 gal fuel tank so I'm not really interested in the Transfer Flow type combo fuel and tool box. Just a locking toolbox.

Rolling Cover -- Heard from another truck owner that he liked the Revolver X4.

Also, the RAM had 19 miles on it when I bought it yesterday. Truck dealer said no break in needed before towing. (HUH??) Was reading the owner's manual last night and p. 241 says, "Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles" to avoid damage. Picking up Fiver mid April, so I'm driving the RAM 40+ miles a day to get to the 500.

Appreciated all the advice and input when I had posted about advice for TV a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure I'll get more good input again. And, yes, I will post pics, ect. when everything is complete.
JAL
2002 Burb 2500 LT, 8.1L, Autoride, 4x4
2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS
🙂Check It OutReese HP 1,200 Lb. Bars WD/Dual Cam HP Sway Control/Prodigy® Brake Control

Family: Two Baby Boomers with Two Generation Y Kids -- All RV Generation

CAMPED IN:
14 REPLIES 14

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry I'm too late to recommend a Trailer Saver hitch to protect all that nice new gear plus offer a comfortable tow. I see Jayco doesn't offer any cushioned pin box options. The difference in cost for the best would have be neglible considering your investments. Enjoy that truck and trailer.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
100% agree on the short drain and refill with AMZ/OIL SevereGear.

X3. The factory fluid is garbage and wears out very quickly as many of us have discovered.

Congrats on the new truck; you're going to love it!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tweety’s will get you the B&W in two days.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JAL_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone, for the posts. Very much appreciated.

For now just getting the hitch. Getting a B&W Puck Companion. Hard to find. No one had one locally or could even find one in their network. RV Dealer getting one from one of their stores in TX. Should be here in time for the Demo mid Apr when we pick up the Eagle.

Still looking at tool boxes and covers. Our running boards are long and have an extra tread at the front of the box, so a toolbox that opens from the sides would be easy to get to.
JAL
2002 Burb 2500 LT, 8.1L, Autoride, 4x4
2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS
🙂Check It OutReese HP 1,200 Lb. Bars WD/Dual Cam HP Sway Control/Prodigy® Brake Control

Family: Two Baby Boomers with Two Generation Y Kids -- All RV Generation

CAMPED IN:

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I love my B&W hitch but mine is before the puck system and kind of hard to remove.

I don't know if you plan on doing much boondocking but if you do you might want to think about adding a 50 gallon water tank at the front of the bed and a rear tool box built for a 5th wheel.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
100% agree on the short drain and refill with AMZ/OIL SevereGear.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Nothing better than the 100% Made in USA B&W Puck for that truck. simple, solid and you won't drop your RV if you simply visually verify the pinbox and hitch plates are touching along with the jaws closed around the kingpin and the handle is closed and locked.

Toolbox as shown is a 30" front to back bed height HighwayProducts and also 100% Made in USA. NOT cheap.

Congrats on the new ride!

^^This is the set up you want. Put a 1,000 miles on your truck and then dump the diff oil and refill with the recommended quantity of Amsoil Severe Gear.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I’ve been using a Reece GooseBox for a couple of years now and would not go back to a 5er hitch. Nice to have a clean truck bed to use when I want to. Its also the only gooseneck hitch that will not void you trailer warranty.

Reece GooseBox

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The break-in is for the differential, NOT the engine as it is ready to pull right out of the gate.

Personally I would take a weekend trip and get used to all the functions to rack up the miles.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing better than the 100% Made in USA B&W Puck for that truck. simple, solid and you won't drop your RV if you simply visually verify the pinbox and hitch plates are touching along with the jaws closed around the kingpin and the handle is closed and locked.

Toolbox as shown is a 30" front to back bed height HighwayProducts and also 100% Made in USA. NOT cheap.

Congrats on the new ride!

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Revolver X4 for one year and have had no problems. I don't live in a cold climate which may make a difference in appearance. The tool box will have to be an under the rails tool box if you want to use a cover. Even with the cover rolled up I don't know if you will be able to open the tool box. The new trucks are high so you may need a small ladder to reach the items in your tool box. It would be nice if they made a tool box were the lid would slide towards the middle of the box.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
JAL_Camper wrote:
Just picked up the new TV yesterday -- 2021 RAM 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab Long Box, Dually. Need advice on getting it ready for the Fiver (2021 Jayco Eagle 336 FBOX -- Dry Pin 2,215 lbs. GRWR 13,750 lbs.)

Hitch -- Hearing B&W a lot. TV has the factory prep four puck system.

Toolbox -- TV has the 50 gal fuel tank so I'm not really interested in the Transfer Flow type combo fuel and tool box. Just a locking toolbox.

Rolling Cover -- Heard from another truck owner that he liked the Revolver X4.

Also, the RAM had 19 miles on it when I bought it yesterday. Truck dealer said no break in needed before towing. (HUH??) Was reading the owner's manual last night and p. 241 says, "Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles" to avoid damage. Picking up Fiver mid April, so I'm driving the RAM 40+ miles a day to get to the 500.

Appreciated all the advice and input when I had posted about advice for TV a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure I'll get more good input again. And, yes, I will post pics, ect. when everything is complete.

I have a Revolver. Its a POS. Its my second Bak product and also my last. First was a folding cover that they took back because it leaked so bad on the folding seams. The Revolver plastic clip for strap broke, vinyl is coming apart, and latch is a poor design that most times takes a couple tries. All at 2 years old or less. And the rubber seams that rest on the box side look like cooked bacon and have since new. And I see this on almost all trucks that have a Revolver cover.

Many people seem to like them, but either I got 2 bad ones in a row, or they are poor made.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I believe the no tow reccomendation is generally to break in the final drive gears.
That said, I've had many new trucks (company vehicles) that got hooked up almost immediately for heavy towing duty with no ill effects.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Try looking at a Softopper folding "cap"

Not affiliated, but I've had mine for over 10 years, very happy.