cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member battery question

likestrucks
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. Just joined the forum, recently acquired a new to us 2005 Keystone Hornet Lite 24 RSL. Question is about the battery, the only real information I can read off the label on the battery is that it is a Group 48. Is this even a deep cycle battery? From what I can find online, this is a European sized car battery and I cannot find any deep cycle batteries sold in a Group 48. Did I get this trailer with a starting battery instead of a deep cycle? Is there any way to visually tell the difference between a starting battery and a deep cycle battery? Any input is appreciated.
1998 Chevrolet K1500
2005 Keystone Hornet Lite RSL
16 REPLIES 16

likestrucks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information.
1998 Chevrolet K1500

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
likestrucks wrote:
I saw that Coleman 200 watt solar kit at Costco, looks like a good deal. Would they just delay the discharge or would they keep the batteries topped off indefinitely? When we camp we basically only sleep in the trailer and then we are out and about, so light usage is pretty minimal, no TV, just need the batteries to run the water pump and the circuits for the fridge while it burns LP.

If you end up running the heater at night, the blower will also be drawing from your battery.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
likestrucks wrote:
Thanks for the info Dakota98. Everywhere I read says to only discharge the battery by 30-50%, how do you monitor that? I am used to hookups but I am venturing into the world without electricity, so I am trying to figure out how to best set myself up

Yes, 50% SOC is the sweet spot, not below.

Get a hand held volt meter & measure the battery SOC @ the terminals.
Whenever you're connected to shore power, disconnect from it before taking a reading.

Depending on how often & for how many days at a time you boondock, I believe you need bigger batteries & a method for charging them. Generator, maybe a portable battery charger, Solar.

Here's a chart for reference, which I believe is also in the article "12 volt side of life".

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
200 watt for $669

A little bit pricy.

Try here: solar wholesaler
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
likestrucks wrote:
I saw that Coleman 200 watt solar kit at Costco, looks like a good deal. Would they just delay the discharge or would they keep the batteries topped off indefinitely? When we camp we basically only sleep in the trailer and then we are out and about, so light usage is pretty minimal, no TV, just need the batteries to run the water pump and the circuits for the fridge while it burns LP.

I'm not sure what kit you are talking about, but 200 watts of solar seems like a good match with your description of power use and the existing single battery. If the panels are in the sun all day, I think it would easily keep pace with your energy demand and have your battery topped off daily. Even if you were to upgrade to 2 batteries, 200 watts might be on the low side of necessary watts but it will still do a good job. Swap out your incandescent bulbs to LEDs and your power usage will noticeably drop.

"Kits" are almost always more expensive than pricing out components individually and putting your own system together. If it costs more than $500 I would certainly look into building it yourself.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

Lance72
Explorer
Explorer
i got a car battery with mine. I always have electric hookup where I go so I am not too concerned with the battery.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
you would be very surprised on how many TT right off the dealers lot that come with car batteries on them.
That's because car batteries don't cost them as much as a true deep cycle battery. Anything to meet electric brake requirements and get you off the lot. :R

likestrucks
Explorer
Explorer
1998 Chevrolet K1500

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the battery disconnect. The phantom loads will draw my battery down in 4 or 5 days. I pull the ground wire when I am not on shore power.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you would be very surprised on how many TT right off the dealers lot that come with car batteries on them.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
use volt meter. jmo
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You best bang for the bucks would be to get two 6VDC GOLF CART batteries and connect in series to get 12VDC. This will give around 220AHs of capacity for around $180 plus old cores. Usually they don't care what the two old cores are - just bring along two old dead batteries...

You will need at least two batteries if you plan on camping off the power grid any. Even better if you add a couple of 120WATT SOLAR PANELS to this setup it wil work out for you just fine camping off the power grid...

You can get Get this price at COSTCO or SAM'CLUB - Don't know if you can do up north or not????

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

likestrucks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Dakota98. Everywhere I read says to only discharge the battery by 30-50%, how do you monitor that? I am used to hookups but I am venturing into the world without electricity, so I am trying to figure out how to best set myself up
1998 Chevrolet K1500

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
I did some searching also & it appears depending on what web site you visit, it indicates that they are primarily a starting battery but can be used in deep cycle applications.

I did see them rated at about 70Ah, which isn't very much.

You'll use about 35 amps a day just running the frig & sensors, nothing else. that would drain the battery to 50% SOC & would need re-charging at that point

If you're always connected to shore power, it will work, otherwise replace it.

Also, if the TT doesn't already have a battery disconnect switch, I highly encourage you to install one.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74