cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Member from Alaska, Hello from the Kenai!

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
Hello from the Kenai River, in Alaska. I'm new to the forum, and new to truck campers. A number of years ago I began considering a truck camper while stationed in Alaska. Family illness took us outside, and we ended up buying a 31' bumper pull which became our first RV/Camper. We jumped headfirst into camping by taking a trip from Oregon to South Carolina and back in December of 2009, 40 days on the road. It was eye opening, and the learning curve was steep. Part of that curve involved a broken rear axle housing on my 1 ton Ford in Arkansas on Christmas eve. No fun, and costly.

This past spring (2013) we began making plans to return to Alaska, and my desire for a truck camper was rekindled. From previous research, we knew we wanted an Arctic Fox in Alaska. They seem to hold up the best in the extreme cold, and the fit & finish far exceeded anything we saw from Lance. A trip to both dealerships confirmed that to be still true, and we began the search.

I've owned a 2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L since 2003, while the engine is mildly built (intake, exhaust and a few computer chips) and I installed an exhaust brake. I knew I would need to beef up the suspension though. I ordered new rancho shocks (M7000), and installed a set of airbags (Air Lift, Loadlifter5000 with Dual on board controller and compressor). I also bought a set of Cooper ST MAXX tires, & upgraded my brake components (new heavy duty discs and pads). Having dropped $3,500 in truck prep....We felt ready for any camper.

We lucked out, and found a very lightly used 2003 model Arctic Fox 1150, with the options we wanted already installed. Bunk & genset. The generator had 100 hours on it, and all maintenance well documented. Ended up paying cash and getting it installed with fastguns, torklift tie downs, SuperHitch Magnum receiver, and the SuperTruss receiver extension. Right around $13K. We felt good about it, I took it on a shake-out run from Portland, OR to Lakeview, OR. Definitely changed the way the truck drove, but I found I was still getting 19mpg without wind and at 50mph. Hard to be upset about that. I made two mods right away. First, on the way home I got an 8' gas line made with a quick disconnect for my camp chef stove to attach to the line at the rear bumper, and second....I trashed the mattress and installed my 12" memory foam mattress. Heaven.

Here's the pic on the way back from Lakeview:

We moved out of our house and into my hangar/shop for 45 days, living in the camper. The AC was a godsend, and my two children (10 & 2) began wearing in the camper. Ugh. Pristine 10 year old camper started show wear on the carpet and upholstery real quick with those two. Still, I really fell in love with the camper. The second week of September, 2013, I loaded up my 8' utility trailer (with my Leer 122 Browning edition camper shell installed on 30" walls on the trailer), and headed North up the Alcan to our new home on the Kenai River, in Alaska.

Here's a pic of the trailer:
My daughter painting the inside:

I wish I could say it was an easy trip...but it wasn't. That trailer had two break downs that forced me to hire a welder to install metal. Once...the tongue broke clean off just outside Destruction Bay, Yukon. Miraculously...no one, and nothing was hurt. But that story is for another thread.... Gas mileage for the 2650 mile trip = 17mpg. Pretty good for the weight and hills. The week after we got here I did a 1K mile round trip to Fairbanks for my brother's wedding reception. It was fun going up through Denali, but I was pretty "camped out" by then. Since taking her home in August 2013 I've put 4,500 miles on her and slept in the camper for 55 nights. Pretty happy with Arctic Fox!

So here we are in Alaska, with the camper we've always wanted....waiting for spring! Winterizing was easy, though I really wish I had the money to buy a good cover or build a roof to park her under. Hopefully next year. I crawl up and push the snow off once a week, and we're keeping heat on at about 30F inside. I'm hoping the constant temperature will help minimize expansion and contraction. Over the winter I'm sewing a net to snap onto the bunk so my 2 year old son can sleep in the bunk safely. He was falling out of the dinette bunk almost every night...despite piling pillows and zipping him in a sleeping bag. My 10 year old is getting a bit heavier than I'd like for the bunk also. I'll have to take pics of the net after I get it fabbed and sewn up.

Any other Alaska members? We're looking forward to getting out doing some boondocking this summer. We boondocked through most of canada and Alaska, the arctic fox is made for it!
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150
26 REPLIES 26

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Welcome AKSuperDually from another Alaskan who is a fairly new member to this forum also. There is a ton of great information on here from some very experienced truck camper guys!
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
AK49er wrote:
Hello! I will be the first Alaskan to welcome you to the forum. I am a new member also but have learned a lot from these guys. We camp all over the kenai, boondocking in every campground. We live south of you 60 miles. Welcome!

Fantastic! I was hoping to meet some other peninsula members! Our rig is pretty heavy, so we don't do much "off-roading"...but we would love to do some off-highway camping on the peninsula. This state doesn't exactly have a lot of roads....so that can be a challenge. It'd be a blast to do a trip with you guys sometime if you're up to it. Also, you've probably got fishing spots already lined up, but if you even wish to come up to Funny River, you'd be welcome to park on the property here and do some fishing off our fish platform. Just let us know what dates you'd like to come up, or PM me for a phone number. We've got a flat gravel pad at the front of the property that can fit 3 trucks, or 2 truck campers comfortably, it's dry...no electricity up there but you don't need much in the summer time around here. This'll be our first summer here on the river, so we're hoping the fish run on this side of the river!
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! I will be the first Alaskan to welcome you to the forum. I am a new member also but have learned a lot from these guys. We camp all over the kenai, boondocking in every campground. We live south of you 60 miles. Welcome!

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
Welcome to the forum as there is a lot of good, with some highly questionable information available. LOL We lived in rural Alaska for just over 25 years and at one time owned a river front lot on the Kenai River, abut 1 1/4 upstream from the bridge at Soldotna. But the entire Kenai got so busy in the summer time, that we decided not to build there and sold the place after ten years or so of using it as a fish camp. We set our 5th wheel up semi permanently on the lot and used our TC to pull our boat as we ran back and forth from our home in Nenana.

Just an FYI, when posting photos, if you will keep them under 800 in width, the photos and text won't run off the page as your 1,200+ ones are doing. Think the forum rules say to keep them to 640.

Nice looking TC and should give you lots of good use. Just out of curiosity are you back up to work for an established church group or are you starting your own? Again welcome and I think you will find most of the Alaska TCers are part of the population parade of people there for a fixed term assignment, be it with the military or other government agency. A few, such as Chuck Johnson, screen name of Cleary ( he lives at Cleary Summit north of Fairbanks) is permanent and like me, is older than dirt. Chuck and his wife are really good people and a wealth of information on TCing in Alaska.

Welcome again and looking forward to your future trip reports and photos. We hope to head up to the north country again this summer, for our 14th round trip by RV to/from Alaska.

We're leasing a home on 2.5 acres of lakefront across from Sterling. I think by now we've decided not to purchase this home, and we're starting to look for land elsewhere. We're 45 minutes up the road from Soldotna, on the backside of the river...and once you get here, you can hear the highway noise from across the river. Also, though 2.5 acres, there is a neighbor 100' away with small scrub trees not blocking the view very well. The owners want $650K for the place we're in...and I think I can do a lot better for that money. I'd rather be on an airport than a river. Preferably a float plane friendly lake with some fish in it. We'll probably relocate in a few years. If the owners are open, we'll lease here until we finish building a place on another property likely close by. So far indications are that they're open to that as they've been trying to sell for nearly 6 years since they built the place.

Sorry about the photo size, I snagged them off my facebook page and didn't resize. They showed up proper size in my browser, so I didn't think about it. I know how much of a pain that can be, so I'll pay attention to that in the future.
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum as there is a lot of good, with some highly questionable information available. LOL We lived in rural Alaska for just over 25 years and at one time owned a river front lot on the Kenai River, abut 1 1/4 upstream from the bridge at Soldotna. But the entire Kenai got so busy in the summer time, that we decided not to build there and sold the place after ten years or so of using it as a fish camp. We set our 5th wheel up semi permanently on the lot and used our TC to pull our boat as we ran back and forth from our home in Nenana.

Just an FYI, when posting photos, if you will keep them under 800 in width, the photos and text won't run off the page as your 1,200+ ones are doing. Think the forum rules say to keep them to 640.

Nice looking TC and should give you lots of good use. Just out of curiosity are you back up to work for an established church group or are you starting your own? Again welcome and I think you will find most of the Alaska TCers are part of the population parade of people there for a fixed term assignment, be it with the military or other government agency. A few, such as Chuck Johnson, screen name of Cleary ( he lives at Cleary Summit north of Fairbanks) is permanent and like me, is older than dirt. Chuck and his wife are really good people and a wealth of information on TCing in Alaska.

Welcome again and looking forward to your future trip reports and photos. We hope to head up to the north country again this summer, for our 14th round trip by RV to/from Alaska.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new to you AF TC. We ran around Alaska 3 years ago in our AF and had a great time. You made a good choice in TCs.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

GMCPU53
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the TC Forum. Great looking setup and it sounds like you've been able to put in some time camping with it. The kids must really love it. Have a great time building some memories.

Joe
2011 Silverado 3500HD LT4x4 Ext.Cab L/B SRW
2008 S&S Montana Ponderosa 8.5 FBSC

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Very nice rig ya got there and pretty good price too. Alaska is on my bucket list too. Enjoy and be safe.

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum, Of all the places I have only visited once, Alaska is the place I want to go back to the most.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
Welcome to the TC forum, in about 18 month I will retire from my job and Alaska is first thing on my list, I'll have questions for you about Alaska when the time gets closer to retirement.

Ask away. I've done the alcan 8 or 9 times now, all but 2 were towing heavy loads. One with the camper. Hopefully I'll have more input on the camping situation by then....we've never RV camped in Alaska before now. We'll be looking for off the path places where we can escape the crowds....something that can be tough to do in Alaskan summers. Still, it's hard to leave home when this is your view every day.

2003 Arctic Fox 1150

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome to the TC forum, in about 18 month I will retire from my job and Alaska is first thing on my list, I'll have questions for you about Alaska when the time gets closer to retirement.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

edsland
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great, congratulations. I'm sure living in such beautiful country you'll get some great trips once that white stuff melts.Enjoy