cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Tire Question

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
It's time to purchase new tires for my 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500. The truck came with Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires and they have served me well. I pull a 26'Heartland Trail Runner with a GVWR of 7600lbs. I am trying to decide between Michelin Defender LTX MS and Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. The Michelins have a load range of SL and the Coopers E1. I pull our trailer locally and typically stay in regional parks. I would appreciate any experiences/opinions with either tires regarding towing, handling, road noise and mileage. Are the E rated tires overkill for my towing situation? Thanks in advance for your input!
12 REPLIES 12

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
Well this is my follow-up on the Michelin Defender XLT M/S tires that I had installed today at Costco. On my ride home, the tires were very smooth, quiet and handled very well. I haven't tried towing yet, but I'm sure they will perform great. Thanks again for all of your input!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m on my second set of Cooper AT3s. Got 55k out of the first set and Iโ€™ve got about 25k on the second set.
They have been great. They are a more aggressive tire than the Michelin.
Plus the Coopers are American owned and made.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Great choice!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I found a very knowledgeable guy at COSTCO who recommended the Michelin Defender LTX All Season tires. They offer a $110 Michelin instant rebate, so I paid just under $1,000 and will have them installed Wednesday.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
phillyg wrote:
I was disappointed the few times I strayed from Michelin.

And Iโ€™d be hard pressed to buy them, based on my experience with a couple sets.
But thatโ€™s why there are many tire companies I suppose.
Iโ€™ve had the opposite experience with the LTx ms and AT2 Michelinโ€™s in snow. Thought that they were both sub par. But being in AZ maybe not a concern.
Cooper AT3 are also smooth riding. Almost as quiet as the LTX which despite itโ€™s ms rating is really just a highway tire IMO, not a m&s or AT tread.

Load rating, bigger is better and E load tires will last longer apples to apples. Better value if you wear out your tires. And you can make them as stiff or soft as you want or need for your application.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I put Cooper Discoverer on my Silverado 1500, but I have Pirelli AT on my Express for winter, and Continental on the Express for summer. I was really happy with the Continental TerrainContact H/T pulling my trailer to Iowa and back in August.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was disappointed the few times I strayed from Michelin.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't say I noticed any difference in towing performance.
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great input, I have checked the reviews and its hard to compare because the Michelin's had many more reviews than the Coopers. I would be interested to know how both tires performed when towing? I assumed that the Cooper's would have a firmer ride because of their E rating. Thanks in advance for any additional feedback.

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have run the Cooper Discoverer AT3 and I'm currently running the Michelin Defender LTX MS. Both were/are of the E rated variety. I have no complaints about the Coopers, they timed out before the tread was worn too far. I replaced them with the Michelin's about 4K miles ago and the biggest difference has been a noticeably smoother ride and less road noise with the Michelin's. Some of that can be expected since the Michelin's have a less aggressive tread, however it's quite a bit better. The Coopers were average in the snow and ice here, but after the wint'ry mix we got here earlier today, the Michelin's will get there chance soon enough.
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you can go wrong with either one really. I love my Michelin's but they are an expensive tire....not to say the Coopers aren't up there either so...Both have good ratings. Have you looked at any reviews on the tire sites like Discount Tire? One might be noisier than the other or one might ride a bit stiffer than the other.

The Michelin LTX M/S (now the Defender) is a fantastic tire.
I have put these on every vehicle I have owned in the past 20 years or whatever it is.

Current set on my dually work truck / tow vehicle have 125,867 K on them (78,210 miles) and still going. I will replace them before the snow flies here, probably at about 80,000 miles.

They handle exceptionally well on every vehicle I put them on, good in snow, rain and dry pavement.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com