cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to site. Looking for advice between 2 TT models.

Kjc12
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I am debating purchasing a used/like new 2021 Rockwood Mini Lite 2205s or a new 2022 Winnebago Minnie 2306bhs.

I like both floor plans and would be happy with either one. I intend to use the camper primarily for solo trips and hope to do a few days of boon docking on each trip. The bunks in the Winnie would work well for storage and potentially guests.

The Rockwood would be several thousand cheaper (7-8k) and would come with a transferable warranty.

Iโ€™ll be towing this with a 19 Ram CC 4x4 with the 3.92 gears.

I believe the two brands are fairly equally manufactured though I would appreciate any solid feedback on either one.

Thank you in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Your truck will tow either, fine.
Ext warranty is a sucker move. And not worth $5.
What tangible features = $7-8k difference? Doesnโ€™t make sense unless one is used, one s new. But figure out why, or are you just getting hosed on price?
The rest of the โ€œadviceโ€ youโ€™ll get here will be opinions that are not pertinent to , much at all reallyโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kjc12 wrote:
This is a third party supposedly bumper to bumper warranty. The seller claims to have paid $3k for it.

Aftermarket warranty + transfer to another owner = recipe for disappointment

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pull 8000 lbs with my F-150 Max Tow, so you should be more than fine with the Ram Max Tow.

I'm also a bit suspect of the Winnebago towables, and that's as a former Winnebago owner. Winnebago also own Grand Design, but hasn't touched their manufacturing or design processes yet (which is a good thing). If they're taking the same mostly-hands-off approach with what was Sunnybrook, I might be more inclined to go with the Forest River.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Kjc12
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Are both TTs comfortably below the max trailer weight and max available payload of your truck?

At 26 feet plus tongue you are at the max length for many boondocking areas (aka โ€œnoon dockingโ€) with the WInnebagoโ€ฆand I am a Winnie fan.

The Ram has a max tow of 11,290 lbs and payload of 1,800 lbs. I was assuming that either of these models would town easily with my truck. Is that not true?

For reference:

2022 Minnie 2306bhs
Dry Weight 4,668 lbs
Hitch Weight 584 lbs

2021 Rockwood 2205s
Dry Weight 5,004 lbs
Hitch Weight 530 lbs

Kjc12
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
Kjc12 wrote:

The Rockwood would be several thousand cheaper (7-8k) and would come with a transferable warranty.

I'd double-check that "warranty." Forest River TTs have warranties that are only for the original owner and aren't transferable. Most TTs don't have transferable warranties.

The verbiage:

"The Forest River, Inc. (โ€œForest Riverโ€) Limited Warranty covers this recreational vehicle (โ€œRVโ€) for a period of
one (1) year from the date of purchase of the RV by the first retail purchaser when purchased from an
independently owned and authorized Forest River dealer. This Limited Warranty only applies to the first retail
purchaser of the RV. This Limited Warranty does not cover those items identified in the โ€œExclusions From
Coverageโ€ section of this Limited Warranty."

"first retail purchaser" being the keywords here.

This is a third party supposedly bumper to bumper warranty. The seller claims to have paid $3k for it.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well OP, you are right about them being equally manufactured, which is as fast as they can push them out the factory door. There is a lot of Forest River bashing on the internet, and to a point it is deserved, part of it is they have so many different models and brands that they manufacture vastly outproducing the majority of RV builders.

View as many units from varying manufacturers that you can in your area. Undoubtedly, whatever brand, model, or manufacturer you end up with there will be issues to deal with during and after warranty period, just part of RV ownership. Some are minor, others more glaring, purchase from dealer that is equipped to handle warranty issues expeditiously.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Kjc12 wrote:

I'd double-check that "warranty." Forest River TTs have warranties that are only for the original owner and aren't transferable. Most TTs don't have transferable warranties.

The verbiage:

"The Forest River, Inc. (โ€œForest Riverโ€) Limited Warranty covers this recreational vehicle (โ€œRVโ€) for a period of
one (1) year from the date of purchase of the RV by the first retail purchaser when purchased from an
independently owned and authorized Forest River dealer. This Limited Warranty only applies to the first retail
purchaser of the RV. This Limited Warranty does not cover those items identified in the โ€œExclusions From
Coverageโ€ section of this Limited Warranty."

"first retail purchaser" being the keywords here.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
Save your money!
al

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago-branded towable RVs are mostly made in Middlebury, IN by Winnebago of Indiana (separate from their motorhome factory in Forest City, IA).

Basically, Winnebago bought Sunnybrook RV, and took over their factory.

Factory support for their towables doesn't seem to be as good as for their motorhomes - For example, you can't download wiring diagrams or plumbing layouts for them.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
As a generalization, Winnies are usually considered superior to Forest River products. That said, either can be either good or bad on any individual unit.
Look at both carefully, look for fit of cabinetry, materials used, plywood vs particle board, hardwood vs plywood etc, then decide.
Generally freestanding furnishings are better than built in. Appliances will likely be comparable. Depending on how you intend to camp, tank sizes may become important.
If you are looking at new, you may want to compare warranties.
Happy hunting

What he said. I owned a Mini Lite for a couple of years and was not impressed with the materials and workmanship. In order to make then "Lite" they use thinner materials to cut down on weight. I weigh 200 lbs and the floor on my Mini Lite flexed (sunk) when I walked on it. Did I mention the vinyl flooring came unglued in the middle and I had a giant air bubble underneath it? Compare the dry weights if they're similar in size. Go with the heavier one.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are both TTs comfortably below the max trailer weight and max available payload of your truck?

At 26 feet plus tongue you are at the max length for many boondocking areas (aka โ€œnoon dockingโ€) with the WInnebagoโ€ฆand I am a Winnie fan.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
As a generalization, Winnies are usually considered superior to Forest River products. That said, either can be either good or bad on any individual unit.
Look at both carefully, look for fit of cabinetry, materials used, plywood vs particle board, hardwood vs plywood etc, then decide.
Generally freestanding furnishings are better than built in. Appliances will likely be comparable. Depending on how you intend to camp, tank sizes may become important.
If you are looking at new, you may want to compare warranties.
Happy hunting