Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Truck Campers

norcal10
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone!
My wife and I have decided to sell our travel trailer and buy a truck camper. We have been RVing for a while now and want to be able to pull a boat while camping.
I've got a couple of questions about TC's and the truck.

1) Is it a necessity to have a rubber bed mat? We've got a spray in bedliner.

2) Does this setup sound okay with my truck? Torklift tiedowns and fastguns? If the camper we buy has the chain turnbuckles, we will use those until getting the fastguns. The truck is a 1993 Dodge D250 Cummins. I'm looking at the Timbren SES system instead of airbags.

3) The camper we are looking at is a one owner 1989 Western Wilderness that has been meticulously maintained. Does anyone have experience with these having problems clearing the bedrails? Or is that what the rubber mat mentioned above would help with?

4) I've researched the payload on my truck and come up with 3750lbs. Is the weight sticker on the camper usually dry or wet, and do you usually factor in a 1000lb cusion just in case?

You guys are helping some newbies out with the info. We really appreciate it!
1973 Dodge D100 Club Cab 360V8
1992 Dodge Ram 250 LE - 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
1979 Nomad by Skyline 23/SC
20 REPLIES 20

scout4trout
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2009 Alpenlite (formerly Western Wilderness). The outside weight sticker did not include options - ours had the options listed on the inside of a cabinet door. Check the load rating on your tires because that will be the weakest link - our 16" E tires were 3,042 each and we were pushing that number on the rear.
2017 Ford F250 XL STX SCSB 6.2 gas with camper package, Torklift Tiedowns & Fast Guns, Airbags, payload 3,436
2017 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman with preferred options

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have a 1992 Ram 5.9? That truck has as I remember a 8800 GVWR. What does it scale loaded ready to go? 5000 pounds if you actually did have 3700 pound payload. Sadly its more likely your real world payload will be around 1500 pounds.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
get the bed liner,
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

adamis
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'll second the rubber mat. The spray in liners don't give a lot of friction to keep things from moving around. It's like two very hard surfaces against each other, slippage will occur. If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby, they are a good source for the rubber mat options. Note that there are actual rubber mats designed for truck beds that are ~ 1/2" thick and then there are thicker stall mats that can be 3/4" thicker or more. Either will work, just depends on what you need.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

norcal10
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, thanks for the response Jim. Tires are E rated on 16 inch rims.
1973 Dodge D100 Club Cab 360V8
1992 Dodge Ram 250 LE - 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
1979 Nomad by Skyline 23/SC

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
1) A rubber mat is not required, but people add them to prevent sliding.
2) You don't mention tires. A lot of tires are C rated which won't get you anywhere near the max payload of the axle. Timbrens can be fine.
3) Usually old campers clear old truck cabs. You can measure to see.
4) Camper weight if "close" is usually dry weight with nothing in it. The only way to know for sure is weigh it at a scale.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member