cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New truck got hammered!!

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Well the two major Hail storms in 3 weeks here in north Texas really did a number on our house and my new Ram dually Laramie longhorn. House is being repaired as we speak in the tune of over 40,000 in damage. My truck is going into the body shop in 4 days and will need a new roof, hood, passage side rear door , power tow mirror, new windshield, cracked lenses and major body work and paint. Not sure how long it will take for repairs. Had to cancel our Florida trip too and may delay our up north trip too. New camper received no damage since it was in covered storage. Important thing is no one got hurt. Still a bummer..
20 REPLIES 20

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wonder what the Paintless Dent Removal guys could do with the truck. Probably a lot less than $10K!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
With the flooding last year, the tornadoes at Christmas and now the multiple large and damaging hail storms, we have had more than our fair share of foul weather lately.

I shutter to think how much homeowners & auto insurance is gonna go up over the course of the next couple of years.

Well our house just had a new roof and gutters installed last weds. Need 10 windows replaced still and also waiting on two new AC handlers.. Another threat of storms and large hail forecasted for Tuesday. Truck is going to body shop that day in afternoon too. Hopefully will be inside if it hits. Live in Wylie where 12,000 homes and thousands of autos and trucks were damaged.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
With the flooding last year, the tornadoes at Christmas and now the multiple large and damaging hail storms, we have had more than our fair share of foul weather lately.

I shutter to think how much homeowners & auto insurance is gonna go up over the course of the next couple of years.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
We had a hail storm several years ago, we experienced the softball size hail as well. It was hard to believe, but I picked them up! My house roof, car roof and moonroof, etc. Hail is extremely damaging and overwhelm the local body shops. About 1 hr after the storm came through we had trucks driving through from several states over giving out business cards to fix everything.
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
W5CI wrote:
They should Total your truck IMHO

Total a new truck with a $70k sicker for hail damage? Lol. It's suggestions like this that cause insurance prices to keep going up!
Even if $10k doesn't fix it, $20k would fix the truck, buy new tires, a lift kit and steak dinner on the way home!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
W5CI wrote:

I thought insurance adjuster would total truck after coming to my residence. Estimate is only 10,000 total with all the damage? Taking truck to bodyshop Tuesday for estimate and speak with them. I think it is a lowball estimate.

W5CI
Explorer
Explorer
2015 RAM 3500 DRW
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. The only hail storm I've been in that was bad enough to do damage was in Denver Colorado. We did get some marble size hail back in January and I was stuck in traffic, nowhere to go. But I can't find any damage on the truck or my 4 wheeler I was pulling.

Good luck OP, hope they are speedy repairs.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
And we cancelled on April trip for Arizona to home via Texas! Guess it was a REALLY wise decision! Chris

I wouldn't go as far as saying "wise" but more like "lucky"! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I would trade that truck in on another one after it gets out of the shop. Good luck....
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I guess that is why GOD created over passes haha... I keep a good eye out for storms with my WX RADIO and WX RADAR apps and if I am heading into harms way I will pull off and camp out for a few hours...

People get pretty angry when the over passes get filled and usually the biggest and baddest guy wins haha...

These folks are not stopping to visit haha...
Google image

Roy Ken

I say let your insurance to take care of it
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
And we cancelled on April trip for Arizona to home via Texas! Guess it was a REALLY wise decision! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
In some areas the hail was so large it went completely thru the shingles, roof wood decking, insulation, and ceiling sheetrock before landing in the living area. Large hail is common around here, but that one really outdid itself.

Bedlam
My friend lives in frequent hail area. He puts a heavy nap throw rug over his vehicle if he knows hail is possible. He says the large hail will still cause damage, but windows usually survive.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD