cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New truck license problem

brnzbk
Explorer
Explorer
Well I purchased a 2015 F350 dually and the dealer insisted on taking care of the licensing. I had to go out of town for two weeks and when I returned my wife had picked up the plates and after reviewing I see that they licensed the truck for 10000 lb gvwr, the truck gvwr is 14K. I called the dealership and after talking to several people and explaining that I will be towing a fifth wheel that has a pin weight of 2500 lbs, I was told that I am just fine with my license plate classification because they don't include the pin weight in the gvr. I live in Texas and I never heard of this, so I dug in my heels and said I needed to speak with someone who was knowledgeable about truck weight ratings, I'm still waiting.
2015 F350 CC LB Lariat 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
B&W Companion
20 REPLIES 20

brnzbk
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke with the folks over in Austin about this before. In Texas you register your Gross Vehicle Weight, which is the curb weight of the truck plus it's load. Most trucks just get registered using the GVWR since it'll come in below 10k. However once over 10k you'll change classes.

The registered weight doesn't necessarily have to match the vehicle's GVWR. If you have a 14k truck then you can have it initially register at 10k, but you will then be restricted to this weight. I was told while it is possible, "It's ultimately up to the Tax Assessor to accept or decline the proposed weight classification. The Tax Assessor has the final say on the vehicle's classification."

I asked what would happen if you got caught over your registered weight and I was told that you would have to pay for the additional weight before you can continue operating on public roads. You may also be issued a registration violation citation depending on the situation.

Now the difference between "is it legal" and reality can be pretty far. Since 10k-14k F350s all appear the same from the outside, chances are you aren't going to have an officer pulling you over because of weight. Overweight tickets for us RVers are pretty rare anyway, but still possible. If you want to stay completely legal then have the dealer correct it. Instead of costing you $54 a year, it would cost you $110 a year to be at 14k.

Thanks for the reply, that is what I found also. I will stay as is but when renewal time comes I will go to 14k license for peace of mind.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
B&W Companion

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I spoke with the folks over in Austin about this before. In Texas you register your Gross Vehicle Weight, which is the curb weight of the truck plus it's load. Most trucks just get registered using the GVWR since it'll come in below 10k. However once over 10k you'll change classes.

The registered weight doesn't necessarily have to match the vehicle's GVWR. If you have a 14k truck then you can have it initially register at 10k, but you will then be restricted to this weight. I was told while it is possible, "It's ultimately up to the Tax Assessor to accept or decline the proposed weight classification. The Tax Assessor has the final say on the vehicle's classification."

I asked what would happen if you got caught over your registered weight and I was told that you would have to pay for the additional weight before you can continue operating on public roads. You may also be issued a registration violation citation depending on the situation.

Now the difference between "is it legal" and reality can be pretty far. Since 10k-14k F350s all appear the same from the outside, chances are you aren't going to have an officer pulling you over because of weight. Overweight tickets for us RVers are pretty rare anyway, but still possible. If you want to stay completely legal then have the dealer correct it. Instead of costing you $54 a year, it would cost you $110 a year to be at 14k.

brnzbk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies
I guess I will just leave it the way it is, seems that since I'm not commercial I shouldn't have any issues, sometimes I overthink things.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
B&W Companion

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 3500 HD was licensed at 12,000# with a commercial plate when I bought it. I changed to a non-commercial plate and 10,000#. I had my choice of 10,000, 12,000 or 15,000#. I went with 10,000 because some of the places I've been require me to weigh if over 10,000# I've never had a problem when towing even though I'm probably close to 12,000# when hitched up. Never been through a weigh station yet with my RV and won't be required to stop when not towing as it's plated for only 10,000#. The way I see it just leave it alone.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Most people seem to think that because they pull an RV, they are ABOVE the law. WRONG. I have personally seen citations written to RVers for improper registration, use of dyed fuel and operating over weight. Do it right, or pay the piper when your time comes, which in todays cash strapped governments, will be sooner than you think.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
mpierce wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
States vary but when I went from a half ton to a 2500 HD the clerk said to just forget the new weights and transfer the half ton plates. She said unless I am using the truck commercially no one will ever question it.

That is probably correct. Legally, probably wrong. It is just that if ONLY using for RV, they very seldom get checked.

I will give you a caveat though. IF it is legally required to have the full weight registered in your state.

Say you have a 5th wheel setup like mine was. Big toy hauler behind a dually. I grossed at a little over 28K. The office was going to license me for 12k, then we discussed the wt. issue.

IF I had gone with the 12k license, and, for some odd reason, I HAD been required to have DOT weigh me, I would have been 16k overweight!

At 16k overweight, the overweight fine would have been just north of $5,000! Odds of that happening to a RV are VERY small, and only apply in those states that do it that way, BUT, it would be REALLY expensive if one happened to get caught.
Yep, that's the way Missouri is: you pay for what your total weight will be. I had a hiway patrolman comment that it was nice to see that my truck was properly licensed for what I weighed: 23,000 lbs.. I got the impression he had given a few tickets for improper registration/weight.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
States vary but when I went from a half ton to a 2500 HD the clerk said to just forget the new weights and transfer the half ton plates. She said unless I am using the truck commercially no one will ever question it.

That is probably correct. Legally, probably wrong. It is just that if ONLY using for RV, they very seldom get checked.

I will give you a caveat though. IF it is legally required to have the full weight registered in your state.

Say you have a 5th wheel setup like mine was. Big toy hauler behind a dually. I grossed at a little over 28K. The office was going to license me for 12k, then we discussed the wt. issue.

IF I had gone with the 12k license, and, for some odd reason, I HAD been required to have DOT weigh me, I would have been 16k overweight!

At 16k overweight, the overweight fine would have been just north of $5,000! Odds of that happening to a RV are VERY small, and only apply in those states that do it that way, BUT, it would be REALLY expensive if one happened to get caught.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Why pay more for the tags then needed? We save about $25 per year when the tag office offered to down grade our GVW.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
The first time the MVA sent me my renewal, I noticed it was going to cost me $1250.00 for one year. I looked at the GVWR and it was 120000. Needless to say I went to the MVA and had it changed back to 12000 and only had to pay $125.00.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
brnzbk wrote:
I just spoke with the title clerk and she said the reason it was titled for 10K is because that is all I was charged for when I purchased the vehicle. I was not told that but it doesn't matter because the only way to fix it is for me to go down to the license office and increase the plate rate rating myself.
So if I understand this correctly, my truck weighs 8K, I hook up my fifth wheel which has a pin weight of 2500, that puts me at 10500 with no fuel, passengers, fifth wheel cargo and hitch, but I'm still OK with a 10K license? I was under the impression i needed to be licensed for all of that, so perhaps I misunderstood the license ratings, if so then all is good. I just wanted to be sure I did everything correctly since this is my first fifth wheel, obviously I still have a lot to learn.

Depends on the state. Explain fully to the clerk what the weights are, that you are a RV, not commercial, and they should be able to tell you what you need to license it for.

I asked when I got mine, and I need to license for the total weight that I am, RV or commercial. As RV, I am not apt to get weighed, but possible. And, to be legal, I need to have the full weight licensed.

I KNOW other states are different.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
LOL ... all these answers, and not ONE lives or drives on a regular basis in Texas. They don't understand that the DPS in Texas set on the roads and stops RV's and any other truck they wish for weighing, fuel checks and vehicle inspections. It makes NO difference if you are commercial or an RV, if DPS is holding court on the side of the road, you BETTER be legal, especially with Texas plates. Go down to the DMV and talk to the supervisor about what is and is NOT legal in your case, then ask for a copy of the law(s) he or she is citing, for your protection.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
FOrget trying to get an answer about "licensing laws" from the dealer.
Go to your local licensing agent and they will fix ya up.

This. If it really bothers you.

Your truck has a sticker from the factory that states its GVWR, as well as the axle ratings. Stay with those numbers, and hit the road worry free. You'll be fine.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
I went through a similar thing in Indiana. My F350 is plated for 9,000# on the registration (we weight about 8,200# by CAT Scale ready to roll). I asked BMV about pin weight when I 1st registered it and was informed that was covered under the 5er's registration. Now if it was a commercial tag, it would have to include the weight of the trailer (Gross combined). My insurance agent says I'm ok to 14,000# on my truck and I've thought of raising it cover to my 11,500# GVWR but I really don't like going to the BMV office to do it. Heck, I see F350's running around town with 7,000# tags.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.