cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New TT owner questions

RVHawks
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Just bought an 07 R-Vision Max-lite 23RS. I had a couple of questions after towing it home for the 1st time:

I had a heck of a time hooking up the sway controller (no manual). Is there an easy adjustment to hitch it up with my car? I was reluctant to play with the controls initially.

I'm arranging storage at a place near work. It is in a fairly safe community with gate & fence & has a dump station. What is safe to leave on the trailer in storage? Batteries, propane cover, propane tanks?

All advice is welcome.

Good travels!
4 REPLIES 4

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the Beach Cities area south of LAX.

We've stored in three different lots over the past 30 years.

The first lot was basically dirt lot with chain link fence, no security. Several RVs were broken into and valuables were taken. Ours was the last one hit, they bent the bottom right corner of the entry door up to get into most RVs. Luckily we had a small window in the door so they broke it to reach in and unlock. No major damage just a couple of ski vests and portable 8 track player stolen.

Second lot had 24/7 security..our trailer was backed into twice and wheel chocks stolen.

Current lot has 24/7 security... a few years ago two trailers were broken into and valuables were taken including a large full tool cabinet. Nothing has been taken from ours and no damage.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only leave the stuff you can afford to buy again. Would not leave much in outside storage or the battery. Mine was taken in a secure storage facility. If you see a bunch of end of its life lawn equipment or other small business type construction stuff, you might as well hang a Free sign on your battery. You will need to replace the connections if you are lucky enough that they were cut - not yanked out. Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Security---
Put steel cables with locks hooking up the propane tanks together. I would have a metal battery box that can be locked built to fit on the front of trailer frame. Put a pin lock on the trailer hitch.

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new TT. Pulling it home is a chore. Even my second trailer purchase was a rough ride home. It's normal for your assembly to be goofy on that first pull. Go to YouTube. They have a ton of vids on adjustments etc. You'll want to adjust the height of your ball mount as well as the angle so your spring bars will provide optimal tension. Also get it level. I always see trailers going down the highway, waaay nose up or nose down. As far as storage, disconnect the battery turn off the propane and make sure your water pump is off (wait that wont matter if the battery is not connected). Chalk the tires and I like to put down the stabilizers but not necessary. Nobody will jack your propane or batteries in an average storage facility. Maker sure your roof vents are closed too. Have fun.