cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie here Looking for a light weight TT for 5 suggestions?

CherylH
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here
Looking for (suggestions)for a lightweight TT that can sleep 5.
I've found MANY that can accommodate that but I am asking for suggestions. What do YOU suggest and why?
I've been looking near me but I can travel to go get one too.
I am in Omaha, NE.

I am looking for one that has bunks, couch and dinette and a queen bed.

I am looking for something that is under 5000 range for weight. My max towing is 9100 but I want to keep it way below that.

TT that I've been looking at are:
Jayco 174BH (only issue I see is no couch) but is doable
Forest River Patriot Edition 16BHS but again no couch
and both dinettes are tiny.
Oh and not over 15k in price.
18 REPLIES 18

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are a newbie. You've heard all the weight stuff already. Think also about the features and tech stuff.

1. Water heater both AC and propane. My newbie neighbor got propane only and has to listen to a propane burner even when he's on 120 AC.

2. Get lube-able axle bearings. (Super lube or easy lube).

3. Make sure it holds enough fresh, gray, black water for your use needs. Many bunkhouse models have smaller tanks to get extra bunk space. I owned one once like that.

4. A better suspension thats better than just a standard equalizer keeps the rig from jumping down the highway.

5. Dont get carpeting. The new simulated wood looking floors hold up much better.

6. IMHO Almost all trailer tires are a load range lower than they really should be. Example -- if they are C rated, should be D rated.

There are lots of other issues. Think it through. Dont be bulled by a sales rep.
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Since the OP started this thread 10 days ago and hasn't been back since methinks Elvis has left the building. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Coleman 274BH. Fully loaded wet is 6300# with a TW of 710#. Pulled it with a 2014 F150 with a 1470# payload and 3.15 gears with ease. Those are actual scaled weights, not stickers.

I haven't pulled it with my new 2016 F150 yet, but it has a higher payload and true tow gears of 3.55.

I pulled that trailer over 3000 miles last year, up and over the Colorado Rockies, 11000# peak with ease.

It sleeps 6, has two large bunks in the back, 4' x 6', a dinette, a couch that pulls out into a bed and a short queen. Great starter trailer for us so far.

West_Coast_Canu
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco X213, 21' closed and 27 with the rear King slide bed out. Two bunks up front with a couch and dinette. 5500 lbs gross weight.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
CherylH wrote:
Looking for (suggestions)for a lightweight TT that can sleep 5.

I am in Omaha, NE.

I am looking for one that has bunks, couch and dinette and a queen bed.

Oh and not over 15k in price.

Over in the towing forum you said you've recently purchased a 2017 Silverado, 5.3L, 6-speed feeding a 3.42 axle ratio ... same drivetrain in my 2012 Silvy. Starting back in 2007 I towed a non-slide 2008 KZ Spree 240BH-LX with an average loaded weight ready to camp of ~ 5500 lbs, coupler to bumper length 26' 9". Our 2006 Silvy which had the older 4-spd wide ratio transmission feeding the same 3.42 axle had no difficulty at all towing this trailer, anywhere we chose to go. Although our current Freedom Express is 1000 lbs lighter ready to camp I'd have no concern towing 6000 to 6500 lbs loaded with our current 2012 Silvy, nor yours. In Omaha there is currently a listing for a 2010 KZ Spree 240BHS which is ~ 18" longer and ~ 500 lbs heavier than our non-slide 2008 model. This is a triple bunk bed family camper, ideal for a family of five, certainly towable with your new 2017 Silvy ... you might want to check it out.

2010 KZ Spree 240BHS in Omaha, Neb.

FWIW, in the length of trailers you've mentioned there's no way you're going to get both a dinette and a sofa unless you chose something with a Murphy bed, giving up the vast front cargo compartment storage space available in most travel trailers with a front queen walk around bed.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I figure dry weight plus 1000. Then I keep the water tank low or empty when traveling. That gives me wiggle room for our situation.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is to look at actual weight stickers on TT's that you are interested in before you go too far. I found many have weights in brochure that are drastically different from what actually have sitting on the lot. This means you may have drastically different carrying capacity from originally published. Read stickers carefully, some manufacturers include propane weight and some don't.

As far as tow capacity, I would recommend you use the Gross weight, not dry weight, as you will never see the dry weight, you will always have stuff in the trailer.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Opie431 wrote:
Have you considered setting up a tent along with the TT

That is what we did when all of the kids were small. Small Class A would ride everybody, but girls slept in the RV, boys slept in a tent. Worked for years.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this one? Aspen Trail 2710BH
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered setting up a tent along with the TT
Our old 03 Outback sleeps ten but it does not live that many.
We have a seperate bunkroom that sleeps four plus has two closets and a cupboard.
The table holds five, I guess the others are supposed to wait their turn to sit.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"My max towing is 9100" What is your TV's payload? Family of five but what do you plan to carry in the TV? $15k max will be difficult.

This is the real question. Max towing means nothing.

I don't think you're going to make it with your half ton. You're going to run out of payload before you will make it. Even 5 people in a 3/4 ton along with the TW will be a lot.

Let us know what the pay load is.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is that the new generation 1/2 ton trucks do well with something in the 24-25 foot range weighing about 7,000 lbs MAX when fully loaded.

Having said that, I towed the trailer in my sig (35 ft, 8500 lbs max) for a while with my old 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 V8. I did "OK" but I knew it was a bit much for the 1/2 ton (even thought this trailer is advertised as "1/2 ton towable") so I upgraded to the 2500 Ram in my sig for extra margin and the fact I wanted to sell the Tundra at about 100K miles anyway to get the max value. Otherwise, I loved the old Tundra, best truck I ever owned. Hopefully the new Ram will be as good and reliable.

It all comes down to what you're comfortable with.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to take a look at the Vikings. We looked at a bunch last year for 4 + dog. We didn't like the bunks and went with a different model but they do have them.

Viking 21 BH
2017 Coachmen Viking 21RD, 2015 Yukon XL 5.3
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
A Lance 2185 would be a nice option but you would probably need to find a used one. Overall length is 25'8" and the GVWR is 6000 lbs. They are nice trailers and well built but price may be the limiting issue here. It only has a single U-shaped dinette but has 3 bunks and really a great layout for a reasonably sized trailer. Again, look for a slightly used one.
I love me some land yachting