cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nissan Armada owner, looking for opinions

mikeinaz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question for any Armada owners. Considering buying a new one and coming from a 2013 Dodge Durango w/ the Hemi. The Dodge has more HP and about the same TQ but Im down a bit on payload so need to upgrade and am just not a 'truck' guy. The Armada has about 1500# payload which would be fine for me. I have a 26' TT that's about 6200# loaded w/ less than 800# tongue weight. So how does it do towing on hills? Its less HP than my Durango and has one less gear in the transmission so as I tow through mountains, I am worried it may have to hunt around for the right gear and be winding out at higher RPM's for longer periods of time. My hemi w/ a 6 speed did ok pulling my HTT up mountains but this TT is a bit heavier. Looking for some real world experience from any owners who can shed some light. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

mikeinaz
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
First, I gotta ask. How do you know the trailer weight and tongue weight? Have you had it weighed with everything in it ready for the road/camping? Most will be really surprised at the "actual" weights.

If indeed these are actual weights (6200 gvw and 800 tongue), then I would think you should be ok. With 800 lbs of tongue weight, your Armada has 700 lbs left over for every thing else....but that depends upon what your "actual" payload capacity really is. Unless you have weighed your Armada, the "about 1500 lbs" of payload capacity may be in error as any accessory or option on the SUV may reduce that amount considerably.

Guessing weights and taking mfg'ers posted weight ratings are not always accurate. Weigh your Durango too...

Ron

Yeah, I weighed it this weekend Ron so those are specific weights. I ran it over the scales w/ the WDH attached, unhooked and just the vehicle and TT on their own. The payloads I am seeing are actual payloads in the door frames of specific vehicles, not generic figures. I think the Armada would give a little more of a solid feel towing as its a slightly longer wheelbase but the 5 speed transmission and less hp do worry me a bit once I hit the hills. I only camp about 8 times a year so I am not driving the Rocky mountains weekly or anything like that, I just want enough vehicle to do the job when I need it and not have to get a diesel or something I don't need 98% of the other time. Thanks!

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, I gotta ask. How do you know the trailer weight and tongue weight? Have you had it weighed with everything in it ready for the road/camping? Most will be really surprised at the "actual" weights.

If indeed these are actual weights (6200 gvw and 800 tongue), then I would think you should be ok. With 800 lbs of tongue weight, your Armada has 700 lbs left over for every thing else....but that depends upon what your "actual" payload capacity really is. Unless you have weighed your Armada, the "about 1500 lbs" of payload capacity may be in error as any accessory or option on the SUV may reduce that amount considerably.

Guessing weights and taking mfg'ers posted weight ratings are not always accurate. Weigh your Durango too...

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine, both have plenty of power to tow that weight. The difference towing between the 5 and 6 speed tranny will depend on the gear ratio.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley