cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

factory vs dealer vs loaded weights

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are now on our 3rd TT - 29' and 6800 lb GVWR. After having read a lot of threads and discussions on TT weights and what your TT ends up weighing after you have it all loaded up for camping, I decided it would be an interesting exercise to weigh everything to see what happens from the time it left the factory to when it is fully loaded for camping. Interesting results...

I have weighed each and every item that is going into our unit as a mod or upgrade, light to heavy - weighed it all. From roof vent covers to Dexter EZ-Flex upgrade. Weights show to the nearest pound because of kg to lb conversion and because of things I weighed on a scale at home. Actual net item weights were used and did not include anything else such as packaging.

I weighed our TT on the way home from the dealer. I actually went through 2 scales and both sets of weights are essentially the same so there is no error in the scaled weights. After getting home I discovered that the fresh water holding tank was partially full. I emptied the tank using a 2 quart container and it came to 194 lbs so I deducted that weight. I deducted 2 propane tanks at 55 lbs each and 1 battery at 56 lbs. I also deducted any mods/upgrades the dealer did for us (I turned over parts to them and already had the weights).

After accounting for the water and mods/upgrades, the TT is 190 lbs heavier than when it left the factory. I also confirmed the actual weight as it left the factory via email to them and it's the same figure as I found on the sticker inside our TT (took a while to find it and it's not yellow).

I am not sure where the extra weight has come from. I can't think of anything the dealer would have added other than propane tanks and the battery. Do they possibly add anything else to a TT after it gets weighed at the factory? Spare tire maybe? 190 lbs is a lot more than a weighing error. If it was 19 lbs, I'd ignore it.

The total weight of ALL modifications and upgrades is 119 lbs. That includes a few heavier things like water filtration, EZ-Flex equalizers, shock absorbers and also the WDH snap-up brackets + cam arms.

On our first camping trip out this year, we loaded everything into it that we would for any normal camping weekend. The pass-through has all the usual stuff like BBQ, outdoor carpet, folding chairs, wheel chocks, sewer fittings, leveling blocks, etc., etc. The kitchen was loaded with all the usual things like coffee maker, toaster, dishes, cutlery, food, pots, etc., etc. The rest of the interior was loaded with clothes, bathroom stuff (towels, toiletries), some books, DVDs, toolbox, etc., etc. The loaded weight could be a little higher if loaded for a longer trip, but I doubt by very much especially when you consider that you typically grocery shop along the way.

The total weight of ALL cargo loaded into our TT came to 555 lbs.

The total weight of all modifications and upgrades is 119 lbs.

TOTAL additional weight of top of the factory UVW is 674 lbs.

People frequently say that the weight of your TT is in the order of 1500 lbs added on top of the factory UVW. I have to say that I disagree and that for the "average" 28-30'-ish TT, the additional weight above your UVW after fully loaded for camping is more likely to be in the order of 700 lbs (cargo + allowance for some mods/upgrades) which is about 1/2 of the often quoted 1500 lb figure. Water in holding tanks and anything above the norm that you'd carry like say bikes, generator, etc. would of course be on top of that. Perhaps for some, additional weight of 1500 lbs is due to factory options that did not get included in a final weighing before it left the factory or for reasons similar to why we have an unaccounted for 190 lbs?

Another thing of note is that sometimes people say that you can shift cargo around in your TT to adjust tongue wt. If we're only talking about 600 lbs, I'm not so sure that's really feasible. You'd have to relocate a lot of items from the pass-through to the rear or a lot of interior things to the pass-through, neither of which are practical in my eyes.

In summary, it was an interesting exercise.
32 REPLIES 32

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting read.
I am heavy. We always boondock in remote locations, sometimes for as long as 3 weeks. Going to get something that we happen to "need" will take most of the day.... Yes I have done it more than once. The latest was when the propane regulator failed...400 hundred miles round trip to get one. We now carry a new spare, since that isn't the first time it has happened in my TT career. Many other things, as well. We are always prepared for any weather, complete with extreme cold weather clothing... It has come in handy more than once.

I especially love the I never carry water thoughts.... Many people must carry it, as all TTs come with FW tanks... Maybe one can get a delete the FW option to save a few bucks, and a few pounds.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I guess with the kids and wife, we must pack heavy, i'm adding like 1400lbs to my travel trailer when we have a full tank of fresh water onboard (normal during Race weekend and such) and probably an extra 200lbs to the TV duwing those same weekends with the Generators in the back of my truck and firewood,etc..

Keep in mind we have an outdoor kitchen so we end up packing up that fridge too, I keep a spare truck tire and trailer tire in the fron compartment as well (after loosing a truck tire 300km's into a 3500km trip I decided on keep a second spare for the truck)and multiple kits toys and games ,etc... it all adds up pretty quick.

Lucky for me I've got enough GVWR in bot the TV and TT.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it interesting that my 5000 lb TT has a max GVWR of 7700 lbs. that is 2700 lbs of stuff. That is almost four times the load I haul.

But again I do not have kids, bikes and toys etc.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do agree 1500lb extra in a 5er is not unrealistic. They have lots more storage than a TT.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem believing that a 28' TT can hold 1500 pounds of "stuff". I have watched in amazement as one thing after another has come out the door of a neighbor's RV. Other times I just can't believe how much stuff some people have stacked all around and piled under the awning.
Ours weighed about 3400 lbs. when I brought it home and weighs about 4000 ready to go. The truck has about 150 lbs. extra that I don't put in the camper. We certainly aren't minimalists, but I don't try to bring my house with me, either. We usually are gone for at least a week at a time.
A very interesting exercise, indeed.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My total "Things to take" weight is about 700 lbs including the new truck cap.

With no kids we do not carry much.:)
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
I really would like to see the inside of a TT that has 1500lb of stuff loaded into it. There is NO WAY a person could actually walk around in it. We have stuff in every nook, and cranny. And still less than 600lbs. Even with the water heater full of water.

I don't think all the 1500lbs of added gear is inside the TT where you walk. Some TT's have lots of storage.
My toolbox, spare parts box and wd system add close to 75lbs alone. My 4 bikes, kids games, books, puzzles, lawn chairs, folding table, BBQ, easy up,and flgs probably add a couple hundred pounds also and are not in the TT where you walk.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Between all my gear, tools and parts, I am lucky if I can stay under 2000 lbs. and normally donโ€™t if I take me generator and motor scooter alongโ€ฆ of course not everything is in the trailer all the time either I have plenty of room between the van and the trailerโ€ฆ
Depending on how I load I could put a 1000 pounds in the under bed and adjoining pass through alone and not have a thing sitting outโ€ฆ you have no idea how much stuff my wife wants to bring (kitchen-aid mixer, baking and sewing stuff) until I say no moreโ€ฆ still nothing sitting out unless its being usedโ€ฆ we are gone for five to seven months at a time and canโ€™t go back for something we didnโ€™t bringโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
While I'll agree that a smaller TT will have less "stuff" in it, the 1,500# is not out of line for a 36' 5er. Also instead of trying to weigh every item, a quick trip over the scale would answer the question.

The yellow sticker in my door jam reads 10,326# when mine left the factory. It states a full load of water is 473# and that I have 3,126# for cargo.

When I ran it across the CAT Scale ready for a 2 week trip, the 5er weighed in at 12,000#. I have added a front A/C unit and a few minor mods but that does support the 1,500# rule of thumb. My tanks were empty (2- 40gal blacks and 2- 40gal greys for 160gal of waste water and my 47gal fresh water) so it's not water weight.

My floors are clear and I still have unused cabinets. Based on experience, maybe you can say a 30' TT will be closer to 1,000# and a 20' is closer to 5-600#

As long as I can scale out, I will not argue over what she can and can't load. Life's too short ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy Travels!
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ah64id wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

No. I stand by it. Notice. I said STUFF, not water. I don't see HOW you could walk around in one loaded with 1500lb of STUFF. Especially a 18CK. Not a lot of storage space in there. Our 23T had every nook, and cranny full, including toys for the grand kids. and still only 550lb over dry. Unless of course, like Lucy, y'all collect rocks. We have been camping for 30 years, and if any thing. Our camper gets lighter, not heavier. The less I carry, the less I have to deal with. We don't use it, out it comes.

Based on the math it's 1500lbs of stuff without water, and everything is put away and not where you walk. I don't see now that's hard to understand. Heck I've probably got 20-30lbs of booze ๐Ÿ™‚

Based on who we camp with I would say we are closer to norm than you are... But that's all relative to location/style.

You comment is still ignorant, just because you don't camp that way doesn't mean it's not possible, practical, or normal, which is my point.

There will also be a big difference in campground camping and boondocking, as well as winter camping vs summer camping, 2 nights vs 14 night, etc.

Got a weight slip??? I do. and no it is not normal. I still would love to see the inside of a TT that has 1500lb of stuff loaded into it. Got to be spilling out every where. Cause 600lbs does.

BTW. The Apex sleeps 10, and still does not have 1500lb of stuff in it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
lbrjet wrote:
Subtract the weight of propane, but not the tanks themselves. They are there in the factory weighting.

But they don't ship the cylinders, correct? Two tanks only at 25 lbs each will help my discrepancy a bit so that'll make it only 140 lbs off.

Is the spare tire and carrier included? I would assume yes.

Is there potentially anything else that may or may not be included in the weighing for whatever reason? The 32" TV, although doesn't weigh much, appeared to be shipped in a box which was inside the TT when I first saw it. Maybe there's a few things they just don't include? I read a post once where someone claimed a microwave is not included.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
When folks ask for a general guideline of weight "over the factory brochure weight", I am one that throws out the number, "1000 pounds".

For instance, my funfinder ( cruiser RV ), which is a 2012 model, has a stated dry weight in the ad brochure that does not include options. So just the fact that mine has an awning, A/C, spare tire and TV set, adds some pounds to the brochure stated weight. In my case, it added about 450 pounds. I've added another 400 pounds or so of stuff, and I have removed about 100 pounds worth of bunk bed. Bottom line n my case is I am almost 900 pounds over the brochure weight, and I travel solo, and with empty water tanks.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Subtract the weight of propane, but not the tanks themselves. They are there in the factory weighting.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

No. I stand by it. Notice. I said STUFF, not water. I don't see HOW you could walk around in one loaded with 1500lb of STUFF. Especially a 18CK. Not a lot of storage space in there. Our 23T had every nook, and cranny full, including toys for the grand kids. and still only 550lb over dry. Unless of course, like Lucy, y'all collect rocks. We have been camping for 30 years, and if any thing. Our camper gets lighter, not heavier. The less I carry, the less I have to deal with. We don't use it, out it comes.

Based on the math it's 1500lbs of stuff without water, and everything is put away and not where you walk. I don't see now that's hard to understand. Heck I've probably got 20-30lbs of booze ๐Ÿ™‚

Based on who we camp with I would say we are closer to norm than you are... But that's all relative to location/style.

You comment is still ignorant, just because you don't camp that way doesn't mean it's not possible, practical, or normal, which is my point.

There will also be a big difference in campground camping and boondocking, as well as winter camping vs summer camping, 2 nights vs 14 night, etc.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods