cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No DEF for 2020 Emissions??

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone else heard any rumblings on DEF being eliminated for 2020 emissions? I've heard it from 2 different people, but have NOT seen a thing in any semi web site or on a trucking radio show.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
26 REPLIES 26

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
BIL's 09 6.7 cummins had the constant CEL with the continuous trips to the dealer because of the emissions system and all they would do is clean out the emission system, tell him to drive with the exhaust brake on, run a fuel additive and send him down the road. After 9 months of the run around he sold that truck because the dealer couldn't provide any real solutions to the root cause. I suppose the class actions took care of these type of impacted customers. The only people who didn't exhibit these problems were the ones who towed heavy on a frequent basis.

His 04 and my 05 6.0 PSD also sooted up the EGR valves and would require cleaning every ~80k miles.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Our trucks at work (older ones now-- '05'08 era) have Cummins ISM engines and seem to have a fair amount of EGR issues. Few older ones yet have the ISX and no EGR's and no issues. Newest ones '12 and up have Detroit DDT 13's w/ DEF and while the engine itself is quite durable, the DEF side of things have been a pain. But when they work right, all is great. For the most part overall, cannot really say the DEF systems have set us back. I know awhile ago I stopped at local semi dealer's service dep't to ask a question and they told me that 70% of trucks in yard were DEF related problems. IMO, the trucks that get ran the hardest seem to have the least amount of issues. Those that start/stop/shut off often are the problem children.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Wouldn't a 10% increase in HP for the Cummins still make it have less HP than the competition?

385 Current
39 10% increase
424 new HP

440 right now for the Ford
445 right now for Chevy

Or am I missing something?"

I said "left in the dust and astounding" On the Dyno I am willing to bet the BIG "C" will be on top hp wise.

Add 20 percent to the current 900HP and it will be "astounding" at 1,080 TQ!

Who knows what will happen but it will be BIG.

I had ZERO issues with my HO 11 RAM for 65k with at least 1/2 towing 27-29K. My oil analysis always came back with less than .05 percent fuel dilution so basically nothing.

Yes the first couple years the 6.7 had issues but they were taken care of. Can't say the same for many 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7 customers.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Troll Man,
Not fear mongering at all, but just stating facts. Another fact there's no denying that implementing DEF and reducing EGR duty cycle cummins made a major improvement. You're the exception, not the rule!

Bottom line I wouldn't own any of the DPF equipped diesel trucks that are not equipped with DEF.

I won't argue with you that DEF is an improvement. That said, would you be so kind as to give some sort of verifiable documentation that the majority of non-DEF trucks have significant problems? Or are we just going off of your typical "my neighbors', barber's, milk man's veterinarian told me" - your normal proof source.

The real bottom line is that you will never own anything but your Blue Kool-Aid, and you will bash every chance you get.

Even the moderator here has called you a troll. Yet you can never help yourself.

Your routine is tiresome.

HAHA Good one
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
kw/00 wrote:
Well if they move the emissions down stream out of the engine bay, that may provide an easier way of removing them for those that tune and delete?

Know one can really say until we see how the system is implemented. Having said that deleting today's trucks is not really to difficult for most people.

So one or two percent of people delete their trucks. Just give the remainder a truck that runs good OEM. Chris

Not sure I understand your point or question?

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Troll Man,
Not fear mongering at all, but just stating facts. Another fact there's no denying that implementing DEF and reducing EGR duty cycle cummins made a major improvement. You're the exception, not the rule!

Bottom line I wouldn't own any of the DPF equipped diesel trucks that are not equipped with DEF.

I won't argue with you that DEF is an improvement. That said, would you be so kind as to give some sort of verifiable documentation that the majority of non-DEF trucks have significant problems? Or are we just going off of your typical "my neighbors', barber's, milk man's veterinarian told me" - your normal proof source.

The real bottom line is that you will never own anything but your Blue Kool-Aid, and you will bash every chance you get.

Even the moderator here has called you a troll. Yet you can never help yourself.

Your routine attacks on selective few while giving others a pass is a classic troll move.

Carry on Troll

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:

Ha, no kidding. The Energizer bunny... he just keeps going, and going, and going...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Troll Man,

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
^^ what he said ... runs good PLUS reliable. Some of us live in jurisdictions where we are subject to annual diesel emissions tests, so cannot delete even if we wanted to.
I was about to make the same comment just before I read your post. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
kw/00 wrote:
Well if they move the emissions down stream out of the engine bay, that may provide an easier way of removing them for those that tune and delete?

Know one can really say until we see how the system is implemented. Having said that deleting today's trucks is not really to difficult for most people.

So one or two percent of people delete their trucks. Just give the remainder a truck that runs good OEM. Chris

It is called "gas power".
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
kw/00 wrote:

^^ what he said ... runs good PLUS reliable. Some of us live in jurisdictions where we are subject to annual diesel emissions tests, so cannot delete even if we wanted to.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
kw/00 wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Troll Man,

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
They are eliminating the EGR valve on the Cummins engines in 2019 model year. All emmisions will be downstream in the exhaust, and DEF is going to be part of it.

This is true, I spoke to a Lady at the Cummins Columbus, IN CMEP plant last Summer when taking the Plant Tour. She said she was working on the 19 engine and it will still be the 6.7. She had the "Cat Ate The Bird" look on her face when discussing it. Reports are the HP will increase 10 percent and TQ 20 percent. If so the competition will be left in the dust.

Cummins is using this technology on other engines.

Like when GM and Ford implemented DEF in their trucks and left cummins in the dust! :W

How will the competition be left in the dust if this women was unveiling cummins future hp and torque ratings?

Just add the percentages I mentioned to current numbers and they will be astounding. Also the fuel economy will be even better!

Let's mention fact, the Cummins did NOT need the DEF system. This engines are still desirable to some.

Wouldn't a 10% increase in HP for the Cummins still make it have less HP than the competition?

385 Current
39 10% increase
424 new HP

440 right now for the Ford
445 right now for Chevy

Or am I missing something?

And as far as the Cummins pre-def fear mongering that the Troller likes to do, there are plenty of people who are running that engine trouble free. Like I am.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010