cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No hot water

Rickbier
Explorer
Explorer
I recently changed my drain plug on hot water tank now there is only about 2-3 cups of hot water then it cold thinking tank my have air it it I open all valves ran water even drain fresh water tank still only a few cups of hot water am I missing something or doing it wrong
5 REPLIES 5

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you have HW just before this plug change?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Just to be sure, you did shut off the electric while changing the drain, right? Many have said that the electric element has to remain under water or it burns out in a few seconds. Probably not the case since you do get a bit of hot water, but it would be a consideration while trouble shooting.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water heater is a simple tank.........cold water in bottom & hot water out top. A bypass connects cold to hot.

You stated "....I open all valves ran water ....." CLOSE the bypass.

IF bypass not fully closed......cold water flows to hot and because of check valve in hot out only cold flows.

Same type of thing occurs at showers if not turned off with hot/cold handles.....cold mixes with hot and makes warm

As a side note.......should be an air pocket on top of water heater tank (by design). Air pocket controls increases in pressure due to heating of water (it expands when heated------funny thing about water. Expands when frozen. Also expands 1700 times in volume when changes from liquid to gaseous state)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
Do you have a bypass kit installed for winterizing?
If yes, check the position of the bypass valves.
Then open the relief valve on the tank and make sure the tank is filled.

Teach

Good advice. After you do this, check your outside shower and make sure the valves are turned off, not just the button on the spray head, but the hot/cold knobs are off.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a bypass kit installed for winterizing?
If yes, check the position of the bypass valves.
Then open the relief valve on the tank and make sure the tank is filled.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."