cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No power from 12 V battery

Doering
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend camping with a pop-up. Brand new deep cycle battery connected. Tried the interior lights but no luck. How to trouble shoot? They did not use 12v power last year, always ran stuff off the AC.
10 REPLIES 10

Doering
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Please advise your friend that the trailer battery may be required to satisfy a DOT LAW that all trailers with electric brakes installed must have a trailer disconnect switch installed that will operate the trailer electric brakes if it becomes disconnected from the truck going down the road. The DC voltage to operate the Electric Brakes if this happens usually comes from the trailer battery...

You certainly want a run away trailer to stop as quick as it can and not hurt anyone. So does DOT...

If the trailer does not have electric brakes installed depending on the weight of the POPUP then disregard all of the above comments about not having an battery connected for the few years...

just my thoughts
Roy Ken

Certainly appreciate this. This trailer model does not have electric brakes but is equipped with hydraulic surge brakes.
This forum is great!
Thx again!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please advise your friend that the trailer battery may be required to satisfy a DOT LAW that all trailers with electric brakes installed must have a trailer disconnect switch installed that will operate the trailer electric brakes if it becomes disconnected from the truck going down the road. The DC voltage to operate the Electric Brakes if this happens usually comes from the trailer battery...

You certainly want a run away trailer to stop as quick as it can and not hurt anyone. So does DOT...

If the trailer does not have electric brakes installed depending on the weight of the POPUP then disregard all of the above comments about not having an battery connected for the few years...

just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
Doering wrote:
Problem solved. Last year a new converter was installed by the dealer. My friend pulled out the converter and the battery positive lead was not connected. She fixed it after battling mosquitos and rolling around forever under the trailer. Instant success. Thanks again everyone!

Now THAT'S a FRIEND!

Congrats on the quick fix. ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

Doering
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved. Last year a new converter was installed by the dealer. My friend pulled out the converter and the battery positive lead was not connected. She fixed it after battling mosquitos and rolling around forever under the trailer. Instant success. Thanks again everyone!

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Begin by checking the 30 amp fuse located in the positive line, usually located close to the battery. It may be a BLOWN fuse or it could be water intrusion into the fuse holder has caused corrosion around the connection.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Doering
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. We are locating a voltmeter. It is a Jayco Jay Series 1206 with a kitchen slide. 2006 model.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
If it is an old pop up there may be a small switch on the converter that selects between battery and shoreline power. Some don't have battery chargers in them and only get charged by the towing vehicle or an outboard charger.

Make Model and Year sure helps
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice above. Also, follow the positive line from the battery back underneath your rig or along the frame just under the front cap of your trailer. Look for something similar to this. It may have a reset button on it. It may have tripped and needs resetting...

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Main fuse/breaker. Get out your volt meter and start tracing.

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing, of course, is to ensure the battery terminals and lugs are clean and tight.
Second, place a test lamp or voltmeter, across the terminals of the new battery, to ensure it is not actually dead.
Third,would be to remove the negative terminal from the battery, and using an ohm meter check for continuity between the negative cable and the frame of the camper.
Of course, a multimeter has all the functions you need in one device.

What other 12v devices do they have in their popup? Do any of those devices work? If so, I'd start at the light switch with a 12v probe and work my way back to the battery to see where the voltage is lost.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW