cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Noisy Suburban Furnace fan

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
been researching all the Suburban furnace repair sites and here. None of them mention my problem on a 2004, NT16SE. The fan motor is very noisy and even rattles loudly once in a while (wakes us up at nite), and the whole furnace even vibrates a little.

Took the insides out of the metal box and found that the motor shaft moves back and forth a little and makes a metallic noise that probably creates the rattle. The fan rotates evenly as does the combustion air wheel. I thought an electric motor shaft would have a little play in it?

It seems obvious to me that the motor is worn out but just want to be sure before ordering a new one at $80. I tend to diagnose problems before taking things apart.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
11 REPLIES 11

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!
Now that you have it fixed, the weather will be warming up!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
FIXED! Ordered a new fan from American RV ($82), put it in, works great, no vibration or loud rattleing. Was pretty easy to take out and install.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Just tell her she is my girl friend! She has money! Don't think her husband will let her spend much on me.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Call Louise at 360 659-7833

what if my wife finds out?
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
$80 is not bad, have seen some go for over $100

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
You say the shaft moves back and forth. Does it move in and out, or, up and down. If it's moves in and out the problem could be too much end play. If it has too much of that maybe the fan is dragging on the housing and you could find a way to give it more room to move and then save yourself a few bucks for a few years .

If it is too much end play I have taken fan motors apart before and found a way to add a new thrust washer; made out of something; and eliminated the end play.

If you are thinking of throwing it away anyway you have nothing to lose by dissembling it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Call Louise at 360 659-7833

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
the furnace is an NT16SE, the OEM motor part number is 230634, the replacement number on most parts sites comes up as 520950. the price ranges from $70 with $15 shipping and as much as $94 plus shipping. Couldn't find anything on Grainger.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
$80 sounds way to high for that motor. Look it up on Grainger and that will give you an idea.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bearing failure...maybe.
I don't think you can lube anything...sealed system.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Bad fan motor!
$80 seems a little high. What is model number on the motor? Or what is exact model number of the furnace?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow