cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern Lite 8-11 hitch extension ( ideas? )

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow 8-11 Northern Lite camper people and other camper people as well.
The reason I am pointing towards 8-11 Northern Lite people is I am looking for info on Hitch extension shafts length and hitch extension shaft type when your truck is loaded with a Northern Lite 8-11.
We pick up our new NL Camper first week of September ,and I will need to add a hitch extension shaft that will haul a 8X14X 7 high cargo trailer with our UTV Side X Side in.
What are you guys using out there?
What brand?
What length of shaft?
What size? ( allowable tow-able weight)
What hitch weight?
Will be attaching said hitch to a 2017 GMC 3500 4x4 SLE
Any help would be appreciated

Soup,
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks
7 REPLIES 7

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
PhilR wrote:
I have a 2016 Northern Lite 8-11 Queen Special Edition on a 2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel and just bought a Reese 48" hitch extension. Reese says max on load carrying is 5,000 lbs with 500 lbs tongue weight, with weight distributing, 7,500 and 750. I may have to trim about an inch off the extension as the GM spare tires crowds the receiver a bit. I have a class 5 receiver. Go to etrailer.com....lots of good info.

Phil

My combination makes for a tight fit. I let all of the air pressure out of my spare tire. At Zero Psi everything fits just fine. I have on board air. I'm usually towing the Jeep which also has on board air.

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer

I have the same extension that username taken uses with no issues or complaints.
My trailer loaded is probably just under 1500 lbs.
Camp Host, from the other side.

PhilR
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2016 Northern Lite 8-11 Queen Special Edition on a 2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel and just bought a Reese 48" hitch extension. Reese says max on load carrying is 5,000 lbs with 500 lbs tongue weight, with weight distributing, 7,500 and 750. I may have to trim about an inch off the extension as the GM spare tires crowds the receiver a bit. I have a class 5 receiver. Go to etrailer.com....lots of good info.

Phil

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 4k lb trailer behind my camper with a 24" extension in the factory class V Hitch. Works like a charm.

https://smile.amazon.com/CURT-45048-Receiver-Hitch-Adapter/dp/B00537ESCQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501272290&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=curt+hitch+extender+for+2

The tongue weight is aobut 600 lb, and there's a light enough load that it hasn't even worn the paint off the hitch extension. When I do hit a really good G-out type bump I can feel the weight back there, but that's it.

adamis
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another option to consider is modifying the cargo trailer instead... I did this with my Bigfoot 2500 camper on my 2000 F350 Dually and a 12ft cargo trailer. I took it to a local trailer repair shop and had them modify the tongue of the trailer so that with the pull of a pin, it could be extended from "normal" to "extended" mode. The extended setup adds another 3ft to the tongue allowing it the length necessary to reach the hitch on the truck.

The welding shop charged me ~$500 for the work and the best thing about it is it requires no additional parts to have to lug around and install when I want to tow the trailer (those hitch extensions are HEAVY!). It is also easier on the truck since the tongue weight is riding closer to the rear axle. Lastly, I don't have to worry about dragging the extended hitch on the ground when pulling into driveways and such.

The trailer shop did an amazing job on the work and I've already logged several hundred miles without any issues.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

pastorbillv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with wcjeep. It also depends on the type of hitch you have on your truck. I have a Class 5 hitch with a 2 5/8 setup, so only needed a long straight bar. If you have Class 3 then you need what I'll call a swaybar setup. I just got my hitch from the NL dealer and they cut it to length/installed it right after mounting the camper to the truck.

Good luck!
Bill
2004 Bigfoot 29G (Love the garage!)
2017 Northern-Lite 10'2" SE on F-350 (CC, Dually, 4WD, Boss)

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
You won't really know how much extension is necessary until fully loaded. If you need 21" or more extension go with Torklift. Their stuff is not cheap. It is good quality hardware. I would also recommend Torklift frame mounted tie-downs, Super hitch if necessary, Fast Guns and Stableloads. Skip airbags for now. Try the stable loads before purchasing airbags. Airbags unload the suspension. Airbags support the weight on a cushion of air instead of the rear suspension. Stableload engages the truck suspension immediately.

Non Torklift extensions usually decrease tow capacity quickly. I'm using round numbers. Do consult your specific owners manual. A non Torklift extension typically decreases your tow capacity by about 1/3. Most extensions are not rated for weight distribution hitch. They decrease bumper pull by 1/3 from 5k lbs. The max your truck could tow would be about 3500lbs +/-. SuperHitch with weight distribution starts at 10k lbs a day and goes up depending on model.

I changed out the car hauler trailer tongue jack and used some wood for a great step when exiting the camper.