cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

operator error ! ! !

Well , I took my first long trip with my new Kodiak Disc brakes this weekend and they worked good.... MAYBE a little too good! I have 2 separate settings in my truck now for the trailer brakes and the pressure to be applied..
I had no idea and have always just kept my gain at 8-9.... well , apparently that is WAY too aggressive and about 130 miles into my trip ,I had smoke bellowing from the axles..my fear was either tire or bearing ,had no idea the brakes could be causing that!! ... Well I had them installed a week ago today , and now only have about 1/4 pad left 😞
The good news is that I figured it out ( with help) and was able to allow them to cool down and carry on... my trip home was un eventful , and now I have ordered replacement pads so I can replace them next weekend... LIVE AND LEARN .!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
19 REPLIES 19

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would put an indicator to the rotors to make sure they are not warped. Then clean and inspect the wheel bearings. 500° for an extended period is not good.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Francesca Knowles wrote:
Bet your gas mileage was better once you backed the brakes off, too!

:B MUCH BETTER !! ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

My rotors were showing at 500 degrees with my inferred thermometer . .There was NO discoloration on the rotors , in my eyes that was a good sign
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Bet your gas mileage was better once you backed the brakes off, too!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
While your at it you better order new seals too. Or at least have a really good look at them. Same goes for the grease and bearings.

In fact, if that system got that hot you really need to check it over really well.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln