cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anti sway

sluggo68
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for any suggestions on a Anti sway hitch. I have a weight distribution already but on our most recent outing, it was pretty windy. I had a lot of sway and it made me very nervous. Thanks in advance for any inputs, and suggestions. I.e brands, ease of install/set up etc.

Tony
2014 Dodge Ram Crew cab 2500 6.4 Hemi
2015 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
16 REPLIES 16

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Spend $15 at a CAT scale to understand how well your WDH is adjusted as well as where you stand with respect to all your truck's ratings. Then evaluate how best to invest in improving the handling. 3 Passes - truck alone, truck with TT tongue on ball, truck with TT with WDH.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have used an Equalizer Brand 4 pt. hitch since 2007 and have never been disappointed. It's always performed very well for us. Purchased one new off an Ebay dealer for around $450, then upgraded to a heavier duty one when we purchased our bigger trailer back in 2010 (it was actually part of the deal for the TT from the private seller).

No complaints for me, and IMHO easy to setup.

Good Luck!
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are at least three ways to get your tongue weight.
1. Purchase a Sherline Tongue weight scale

2. Use the bathrooms scale method.

3. Go to a local Cat Scale or maybe a local lumber yard, grain elevator, or landscape company to use their scale.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

sluggo68
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone!!!
I want to get a scale to figure out my hitch weight, don't know where to get one. I haven't fully figured out how to know my tongue weight %. how hard are the ones that Barney pictured or the ones from harbor freight?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight has the friction control for $29.99. I wouldn't be afraid to use them, they are all pretty much the same.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you can buy the ones barney pictured for $60 every day. they used to be $100 or more but they have come down in price.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
What is your tongue weight percentage?

danager
Explorer
Explorer
You can back up with the friction sway attached... You cannot turn too sharply, forward or reverse has the potential to cause issues. Also, you can use either one or two for longer trailers. I have a 30' and just use one, although I own and installed the components for two. The first couple trips proved to be great with just the one. I did not have much sway, just the odd time and more noticeable when being passed by vehicles traveling the other direction.

I would recommend first making sure the current hitch setup is correct, head height and angle can have a profound impact. Second, load properly, keep enough weight on the tongue. Last, adding on sway control as needed. There is a balance of safety and comfort. Not saying to be less safe to be more comfortable, the opposite. Being safe is not always as comfortable or involves driving slower, pulling over, adjusting other behaviours.

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
One of the big differences not mentioned above between the two systems is you can back up with integrated sway control attached. Integrated sway control will be louder (it pops and bangs) but tends to be more effective. With friction sway control, you should remove it when backing up. Also, remember you need 2 friction sway bars for anything over 26 ft.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

sluggo68
Explorer
Explorer
Great info from everyone, thanks so much!
I had completely empty tanks, I loaded the camper with most of the weight up front. The LP tanks were at least half empty each. I have only had the new camper out 3 times and this is the only time with wind not to mention we are pretty new to the camping world. So maybe I need to recheck the WDH and see if an adjustment is in order. I will definitely look into friction bars at least. I just hope that I'm not over reacting on this. Again thanks everyone and again I love this site. so many helpful and knowledgeable people willing to offer up help to us rookies!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
sluggo68 wrote:
I am looking for any suggestions on a Anti sway hitch. I have a weight distribution already but on our most recent outing, it was pretty windy. I had a lot of sway and it made me very nervous. Thanks in advance for any inputs, and suggestions. I.e brands, ease of install/set up etc.

Tony
No need to buy a whole new hitch if you're satisfied with the weight distributing function of the one you have. Why throw the baby out with the bath water? Many such systems don't come with/provide sway control, but fortunately it can easily be added. Friction-type bars are the most common; I think that one is recommended for trailers up to twenty feet long, and two for those over that size.

Here's a link to E-trailer's page for friction bars. That site has a very good question-and-answer feature, and if you write in and give them your hitch make/model they can readily advise you as to compatibility with any of their products. Doesn't mean you have to buy from them, of course- the information is free!

That said, and as already mentioned:
Do make sure to address any loading problems that might be causing sway- you might be running too light ahead of the trailer axles, a primary cause of trailer sway. I'd suspect this as a cause in your situation, especially since you mention that it seems to have appeared on your most recent trip. Such things as full tanks, for example, can drastically affect the balance.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
At that length of trailer, a wdh with integrated sway control is recommended. This would be along the lines of reese dual cam, Reese strait line or equal-i-zer. Higher quality and a lot more expensive is the propride or the Hensley. You already have a wdh so you could try a cheaper solution of putting 2 friction sway bars on but again, the above solutions are more recommended.

Also lets address the sway issue. Was it true sway (increasing oscillations from side to side), a bow wave affect or trailer wagging the truck or porpoising? If it was truly sway, you should not have sway to begin with, these systems don't prevent sway, they help control it if it starts. The key is to load properly to prevent it in the first place. Loading too light on the tongue and heavy in the rear is likely the cause here. Try moving more weight forward of the axles. Also double check your wdh set up. If it was one of the other issues I mentioned we need to dial your hitch in.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

sluggo68
Explorer
Explorer
Barney,
Thanks for the input. I have a WD hitch already and I am not trying to brake the bank to add anti sway. which one is the least expensive?

sluggo68
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info ChooChooMan. I will look into these. It was gusting to about 30MPH, just was the first time towing in windy conditions, made me nervous.