cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

operator error ! ! !

Well , I took my first long trip with my new Kodiak Disc brakes this weekend and they worked good.... MAYBE a little too good! I have 2 separate settings in my truck now for the trailer brakes and the pressure to be applied..
I had no idea and have always just kept my gain at 8-9.... well , apparently that is WAY too aggressive and about 130 miles into my trip ,I had smoke bellowing from the axles..my fear was either tire or bearing ,had no idea the brakes could be causing that!! ... Well I had them installed a week ago today , and now only have about 1/4 pad left 😞
The good news is that I figured it out ( with help) and was able to allow them to cool down and carry on... my trip home was un eventful , and now I have ordered replacement pads so I can replace them next weekend... LIVE AND LEARN .!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
19 REPLIES 19

kirbybear wrote:
What brand actuator are you using ?

Brake rite 1500 PSI
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

kirbybear
Explorer
Explorer
What brand actuator are you using ?

I have one - The pads were burnt ( black ) , but they were just about the same thickness of the new pads that I put on , virtually no pad was missing ??.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
2 of my calipers were in pieces...

Any pictures of the calipers in pieces? I have never seen calipers in pieces. :h
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Well I changed my rotors and bearings today.....now I am thinking that maybe it was not operator error... 2 of my calipers were in pieces... I have changed all the pads...all the bearings...all the rotors... Took it for a ride...

Cannot get them to lock up... Or been feel like they are working... BUT they are smoking after 1/2 mile ...
On edit.... They only had about 200 miles total in the entire system.....

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

yea...........That's it !! Actually , If I had a gauge to compare it to , I would have known right away...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

taken
Explorer
Explorer
New 6.7 was so strong you couldn't feel the resistance... 😉
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

smkettner wrote:
You should have felt the trailer pulling you during a stop... No?
Perfectly balanced the truck should stop about the same towing or not.

I will say that it was the first time towing with my new truck and I had nothing to compare it to.... now , on the way home , it was a completely different story!!!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, it happens. I have a lightweight snowmobile trailer and my RV. One needs it on 10 and one on 4. When I forget to adjust the RV pushes me like crazy or the sled trailer locks up. Ugh...
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You should have felt the trailer pulling you during a stop... No?
Perfectly balanced the truck should stop about the same towing or not.

taken wrote:
Did you change the setting in your truck from electric brakes to electric over hydraulic? It's in the settings if you go into the MFD. Disc conversions are electric over hydraulic and if you run them as electric, you will have the trouble you describe.

I did ,,, BUT I had the power setting set to MAX.. and the integrated brake controller set to 9... had no idea.. its like I was brain dead or something :h
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Did you change the setting in your truck from electric brakes to electric over hydraulic? It's in the settings if you go into the MFD. Disc conversions are electric over hydraulic and if you run them as electric, you will have the trouble you describe.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of what your gain is set at there should not be any brakes being applied to the trialer unless there is on the TV. Am I missing something??? Faulty brake controller?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

I plan on removing the rotors and doing a thorough inspection to each... I did put a call into Dexter and spoke to an engineer who told me that 500 degrees is normal operating temps for some rotors and that the bearings are more than capable of withstanding those temps....
With that said , I have ordered 4 spare (that I can return)50 MM never-lube bearings to have on hand at the time of inspection..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7