cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
SIL and I have a question. Men are away so can't ask them and SIL wants to deal with this herself.

The tires on our brothers and SIL TT are wearing funny.
They have about 1500 kilometres on them about 932 miles.

The tires on the passenger side are wearing almost smooth on the inside. I will try to explain. The tires have four or five rows of traction and the inside row is practically smooth.

Is something out of alignment? I told SIL not to take TT anywhere until they are checked properly.
6 REPLIES 6

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Alignment, worn parts or overloading issue. Take it to a trailer repair shop, not necessarily an RV dealer.

Yep, the trick is going to be finding a shop in your area that knows what they're doing.

The "worn parts" issue should only occur if you've used the trailer a fair amount. Shouldn't be a problem if it's almost new.

The "alignment" issue can happen if you hit the curb or a pothole hard. But since both axles have the problem, this may be less likely.

The "overloading" issue means that the axles/springs may not be heavy duty enough for your trailer and what you put into it. This is quite common and some have had their axles/springs upgraded under warranty.

There should be a label on the trailer giving the axle's GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) and trailer's GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). With a double axle trailer you want twice the GAWR to be comfortably larger than the GVWR. Mine is about 25% larger but I've seen some where twice the GAWR is actually less than the GVWR.

Good luck.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
If by the "inside row" you mean the center of the tire, it could be over inflation.

Too much air for the load can make the center of the tire pooch out (commonly called "crowning"), reducing the contact patch of the tire to the center few rows of tread.

m

According to your picture here the wear would be on the far left of tire.

If the tire is on the vehicle it would be the 2 passenger tires with the wear on the far left side. Not the middle as shown on your pic.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Alignment, worn parts or overloading issue. Take it to a trailer repair shop, not necessarily an RV dealer.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
If by the "inside row" you mean the center of the tire, it could be over inflation.

Too much air for the load can make the center of the tire pooch out (commonly called "crowning"), reducing the contact patch of the tire to the center few rows of tread.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Axle alignment issue. Possibley bad springs, worn suspension parts it is going to take a professional tearing thinge apart tomget to the root of the problem

Moved from Technology Corner