cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions/Experience of 07 GMC Sierra 2500 6.6L

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Ran across a possible last minute deal on a 07 2500 that was involved in a very minor front collision. I am considering it because of the price foremost but I have also heard they ride better with the IFS. I don't know if it's just an illusion but they seem slightly smaller overall compared to the Ford which I prefer for daily driving. I know different year duramax had different issues but couldn't find anything for this year. Also how were the 6 sp auto trans?

Thanks
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851
51 REPLIES 51

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah it worked out alright I suppose. Truck was 7.6K and had it delivered for 900 and sold it for 10.5k. My parts were a fuel filter, grille and a few bulbs and fuses. It was no show truck but with some cleaning and work it was a diamond in the rough. I thought it was a deal and passed it on to the buyer. The plus was I got an extended test drive.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad it worked out for you.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it worked out ok.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
The truck only needed the new grille. the bumper was good just the bumper mount slightly twisted which the rebuilder straightened out. Ordered a OEM bracket for grille and liner for front wheel well but sold the vehicle before the parts came in. The truck drove fine until the code came on (very hard driving) and then just needed a MIL reset. If I would have kept it I was going to tackle the fuel side problems. I drove the truck for a few hundred miles and think it was tuned because it had a little smoke on hard acceleration and it did have a Magnaflow exhaust but cat was intact. All in all a good truck but unfortunately didn't fit my taste with regards to interior space and ride so I placed it for sale. Thanks to all for their help and info it was a fun experience and I'm looking for my next project now...
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
You know your words have been ringing in my head since you said it. I just knew that the shop KNEW what was the problem and stopped it anticipating the repair. A few days before the repair appt. I started it to make sure it starts and with the scanner plugged in it showed the rail pressure going much higher than before in the shop. I think the highest he got was 9-11k and revving it I could get into the high teens. I took it for a drive around the block and got it to 21k by getting on it. I emailed the tech to ask if CP3 problems could be intermittent and he said not to his knowledge and that low rail pressure has a multitude of possible causes and I continue to drive it and monitor the values. First thing planned is a new fuel filter even though the OEM one looks recent and so does the whole filter head assembly.
Thanks for the insight.
ronfisherman wrote:
rowekmr wrote:
Update is it needs a new grille, fog light and front bumper (slightly twisted) checked out by a licensed rebuilder. For the P0087 code (low fuel rail pressure) a Duramax specialty shop diagnosed bad CP3 pump after plugging it up and going through several test. It also has power steering pump/power booster issue that will be addressed while in the shop for the CP3 pump. Even with low pressure it drives pretty peppy a lot more quieter than the 6.0L's I'm used to but I stopped driving it until it is fixed.

There are some good test for checking out a CP3 pump. But if fuel filter has not been changed the tests mean nothing. If you have not found Deisel Place yet. You will find lots of information on all the Duramax's.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks this fine forum and other diesel specific (the one you mentioned) forums really help me in finding possible solutions to my problems. I couldn't have done much without the great help.
ronfisherman wrote:
Good, enjoy your truck when it is repaired.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

ronfisherman
Good, enjoy your truck when it is repaired.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks already addressed those points. The possible reasons for P0087 are long so found a very reputable local shop and will let their experience tackle the issues. Trusting their experience (they had a ton of trucks on the lot) will hopefully save me in the long run vs parts throwing.
ronfisherman wrote:
rowekmr wrote:
Update is it needs a new grille, fog light and front bumper (slightly twisted) checked out by a licensed rebuilder. For the P0087 code (low fuel rail pressure) a Duramax specialty shop diagnosed bad CP3 pump after plugging it up and going through several test. It also has power steering pump/power booster issue that will be addressed while in the shop for the CP3 pump. Even with low pressure it drives pretty peppy a lot more quieter than the 6.0L's I'm used to but I stopped driving it until it is fixed.

There are some good test for checking out a CP3 pump. But if fuel filter has not been changed the tests mean nothing. If you have not found Deisel Place yet. You will find lots of information on all the Duramax's.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

ronfisherman
rowekmr wrote:

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Well it's not as bad as I thought bodywork wise but didn't plan on fuel pump either so I guess it balances out. So far so good but I reserve final thoughts until all work is completed and I put some miles on it to verify everything is good.

Bionic Man wrote:
So, is that good news in your book?
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
So, is that good news in your book?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Vehicle was delivered today. I was worried because transport driver said it didn't run and at this point I had no recourse. He rolled it off and I tried 3 short starts and it started on the 3rd. This truck apparently sat out for at least a few weeks. Reading up on these leaks in the fuel system that cause hard or no starting aren't uncommon. Subsequent starts were fine but the CEL had a code for low rail fuel pressure. So that will be addressed first.

As far as body damage the only thing my untrained eye saw was cracked front grill and one headlight bulb out. The grill is cracked in a few places so it sits out of alignment but the headlight housing and front bumper appear undamaged. Everything else worked as should and after adding some air to the tires I drive it around and it does have a different ride compared to the Fords I am used to.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
07 LBZ are the best of the era!

X-2
Bullet Proof! Buy Drive and enjoy!
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD