cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opinions needed on diesel truck situation!

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I am in real need of some opinions here. It's not to discuss which is best out of the big three. It's to discuss what is my best option here.
The Good: I came upon an unbelievable chance to buy my dad's 2006 LLY duramax with ally 6 speed auto transmission for payoff. This left me selling my 1995 power stroke that had a lot of blood sweat and tears poured into it to get it up to snuff so while I'm sad about that, I have gained an awesome truck.
The bad: I will now have to sell me stroke and pay probably about a year on the duramax.
7k will probably be what I owe when everything shakes out.
I'm getting a crew cab duramax for 13500!!!!
So my needed opinions are:
-should I be worried about the repair costs and ability to repair my new 06 dmax from home vs say a 7.3 or cummins older models?
-should I sell both the powerstroke and duramax and pick up say a 99-02 super duty 7.3 since I know the engine and feel they would be easier to maintain and possibly come away almost debt free.

I don't like debt but I sure like the duramax…tough decision here and some opinions would be VERY helpful guys! Regardless, we just had the best camping trip of our life last weekend so life is good no matter what! thanks RV.net
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner
2003 keystone cougar 281 EFS-31ft
34 REPLIES 34

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the Duramax without question. You will LOVE it. Welcome to the dark side! 🙂
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Its got. 106 k miles. Thanks for your response. I expect about 6-8k miles per year so anything will last me a lifetime i hope!
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner
2003 keystone cougar 281 EFS-31ft

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
The 06' is the most popular used Duramax out there. For that price (I don't know mileage) I would jump at it. If you don't like it, you won't have any trouble getting your money back or more.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
The LLY is basically a yet to be tuned LBZ...the Gold Standard in diesels of that era...stop fretting about moving over to GM...your new truck will amaze you with its stock performance...and it is about as bulletproof as they get...

I know the Blue Koolaid is sweet...but you will look good in a GM...

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
If you can work on the Powerstroke then you can handle the Duramax. The 06 was one of the best years. I would say go for it.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.