cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordered Host Mammoth

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
A couple weeks ago I phoned in an order. (After a few weeks of negotiating) My wife and I have been in a few of them. This will be out 3rd TC and our 8th RV. 4 MH 24, 34, 40 and 45 ft. 2 other TC and a 5th wheel.

We always have a MH and a TC at the same time. Now it is a 5th wheel and TC. They get used for diff things.

Didn't get a lot of options. I feel I can do a better job with the batts, inverter, and the TV's.

Ordered, double couch, leather or what passes for leather on both.
3 slides are now standard, no choice, thats what I was told.
micro/convection
sealed burner top
upgraded escape hatch
9k btu AC
gas electric hot water
swing out brackets, they should be standard.
power awning.

It is prob diff from what most people would order but we have ben camping traveling for a long time. I will add 4 or 6 6v batts and a 3k inverter. I also have a pair of honda 2 k gen.
I will only carry 1. I don;t think they have started the build. I was told it would be in around the end of Jan. Looking forward to it.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride
548 REPLIES 548

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the slide out tray. I just crawl in. I'm 6 foot 200lbs. I can almost turn around in there. I just spent a few hours in there doing my inverter. Although if it's close to the back I sit in a chair and lean in.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
Boy this is one impressive camper... Host does make a nice rig.

Question, just curious:

How does one get into the basement to do any repair or modifications or upgrades?

The workmanship and layout of the equipment in there is commendable for sure.

Jim

I just pull the slide out tray and remove enough stuff for me to crawl in there. Our lay in the tray and get my wife to slide me in. The later is not for the claustrophobic.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I also took out the auto transfer switch. I'm not sure why I even had one. I didn't order a gen set. This is my 8th RV in 24 years. Except for the 2 diesel pushers, none of them came with decent converters.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wow, wonder why a 1st class camper would install the worse converter ever!

WFCO!

Glad you got that POS out of there!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Bedlam
Inverter install in the storage bay:

Old converter/charger is no longer needed with the above inverter/charger:

The monitor panel fits next to the fuse box:

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I went with an AIMS 4k inverter. It has a 3 stage smart charger and an auto transfer switch. Also has a control panel I could mount inside and has some good info displayed on it. Pics will be coming. THANK Bedlam for all the pics.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

therobzilla
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
I think the cab over in my Host is huge. I am 6 foot and I have a lot of room above my head when sitting there. I really like the up graded escape hatch Host uses.

I installed the 4k inverter this weekend. Love it. I can run my fridge or hot water on electric going down the road. I'll try and send Bedlam some pics to post(LOL). It will run the AC or fireplace also.

Which inverter did you go with, my Host show up in about 3 week..

I had them pre-wire for inverter, but have not made up my mind which one I'll be using.

Thanks,
Rob

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I think the cab over in my Host is huge. I am 6 foot and I have a lot of room above my head when sitting there. I really like the up graded escape hatch Host uses.

I installed the 4k inverter this weekend. Love it. I can run my fridge or hot water on electric going down the road. I'll try and send Bedlam some pics to post(LOL). It will run the AC or fireplace also.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I don't think Chalet was the first to have a really tall cabover. Look at my '06 compared to a Lance and an Arctic Fox. '06 is a few years before Chalet came around. Oh, and I'm one of the ones that like the Heki 2 Skylight, too. 🙂

Lance

Thought I was looking at my photo for a second!
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Not long ago, I ran across a Chalet in the parking lot of our local Costco. All I can say is WOW! That rig was tall! I had seen them before on the ground, but this was my first time seeing one loaded on the truck.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The Host and older Arctic Fox cab overs are close to the same height. Overall height for any of the TC's with floors over the bed rails are 6-12" taller than those with floors over the wheel wells. I mis posted previously - I meant the Eagle Cap and not the Chalet had a tall cab over. The Chalet is tapered:

Here is my 2012 Arctic Fox:

Here is the new Arctic Fox:

This is the Eagle Cap:

This is our Chalet ts116 beside a 2012 Eagle Cap 1160 just as a reference in volume. The Eagle Cap is a lot smaller in the front.

1997 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD. Timbrens all around, Bilstein shocks.
2014 Chalet TS116

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Mine will have the Fantastic fan (like my Arctic Fox) instead of the skylight. The Heki just doesn't give me any "warm and fuzzies" after hearing about the failures and replacement costs.

I agree. I prefer the fantastic fan too.

Bedlam
The Host and older Arctic Fox cab overs are close to the same height. Overall height for any of the TC's with floors over the bed rails are 6-12" taller than those with floors over the wheel wells. I mis posted previously - I meant the Eagle Cap and not the Chalet had a tall cab over. The Chalet is tapered:

Here is my 2012 Arctic Fox:

Here is the new Arctic Fox:

This is the Eagle Cap:

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think Chalet was the first to have a really tall cabover. Look at my '06 compared to a Lance and an Arctic Fox. '06 is a few years before Chalet came around. Oh, and I'm one of the ones that like the Heki 2 Skylight, too. 🙂

Lance

Arctic Fox

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
Mine will have the Fantastic fan (like my Arctic Fox) instead of the skylight. The Heki just doesn't give me any "warm and fuzzies" after hearing about the failures and replacement costs.