cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering new Ram

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
This will be truck #4 in 8 years. I was sorta OK until I got the cabover. I decided to CAT scale the truck (Ram 3500 SRW w/4018# payload) when loaded fairly heavy for a winter trip of 6-10 days. I was 160# over the RAWR of 7,000 and over payload a couple hundred. Barely OK on the rear tires. I drained the water tank down to maybe 10 gallons and got under the rear axle rating. I'm just not going to travel like that. On longer trips I want to use a rear cargo carrier for more storage, that equals more rear weight. So I'm going to the truck dealer Monday to order a Ram dually. I'm thinking I will spec it very similar to what I have now.
Questions..
Dual alternators rated at 440amps..worth it? I read as much as I can about the truck alternator charging the TC batteries and it doesn't sound promising.
Air suspension...I'm thinking no.
Thinking about the 3.42 rear axle ratio. It has worked well on the current truck but the 3.73 adds a lot of tow rating if we upgrade the 5th.
Upfitter switches...not using them now, but maybe in the future?
Cummins and Aisin...yes. 4x4 yes.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
41 REPLIES 41

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree ... buy every option and buy one more time. I'd rather buy used and save for another purchase. I can only use one truck at a time. But party on if it makes you happy.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
You got that kind of money?.. that is a lot of trucks...why ask us? Bet the bank and you tell us what we need to know why and what you know after the sale. Not being, well, you tell us what not to do ...LOL! Most of us don't have that option. I can tell you this...It took me years to trade up to a Dually and I would never look back.. DoDge Cummins with an HO 6 speed manual...what they cost now is in outer space. But to be Crystal clear..why would you need a truck this big?..I guess my question is this...Cummins diesels are a work horse. Fords are way to complicated and Chevy is way underrated in my opinion...If Ram is your choice and you got the funds just buy it all. My sister has a loaded Ram Dually a newer...cowboy Cadillac. Mine is older (02) with only 86000 miles but loaded..every option you could want. I still shop it and it spins my head how expensive these big trucks have become. I just looked at a Ford 650...OMG....ok ..had to take a breath. I guess my advice would be what does your truck do for you, how do you use it and do you want to take the depreciation of such a large purchase? It WILL lose money for sure...if brand new. Mine was a steal....1 year old with 5000 miles and they took off 20,000. Not a lie. So look around...good luck and I hope you think this what you need to make your choice.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've slobbered all over GS dual sports. But my back surgeon said he doubts if he can "put me back together" again. So it will have to be ATV's. I could "reclaim" my sons Foreman temporarily. But we are talking about getting back to humting for the grand kids and a new ATV would be handy. Ahem.
My IPI/Berg? Long run tank will just fit in the basement door of the Bigfoot. It just gives me the heeby-jeebies thinking about gasoline being in there out of sight. A Coleman Military Surplus medical transport box should work on the cargo carrier though.
I'm so looking forward to lower stress Bigfoot travels. Pulling the 5th to Bristol and Richmond NASCAR races. After that I'm kicking around Glacier Nat Park before the new grand kids arrive late June.
I'm hoping for 5300-5500 payload. My small country dealer didn't have a Laramie dually on the lot to check.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:

Yeah you're pushing 5,000 on the rear axle. Payload sticker should be 5,500+/-.
GS1200 I assume?
I want to have enough reserve to use my cargo carrier for toting firewood, and my extended run gas tank for the Honda 2,000. Or, maybe the GoDevil mud boat that has a very light tongue weight, 300#?. Then there's the fantasy of a Honda 200 dual sport and a small canoe on my utility trailer.
Mostly I want to kick back and cruise without worrying about weight and blowing a tire.
Heads up newbies....4th truck in 8? years. Don't be like me.

book shows 5680 for payload. Ram has lots of information over at Ram body builders

Yes on the R1200, but I just traded it on a 2018 Beta 300RR. Sort of switched my riding to more off road again. I also have a KTM 690R which is a street legal bike.

as for the Honda 2000, it was in the trailer along with a 3 gallon extended run fuel tank.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^It's a long story but the payoff on the current Ram probably is $10-12,000. I was very fortunate to do some post retirement contract work for my previous employer. The previous trucks were cash.
One fortunate boy from the poor side of Houston that landed a refinery job and took assignments others didn't want.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:

I've been buying cars that come off 1-year lease. Never could find how much such contract cost on $70k vehicle, but I assume it is not cheap.
So what's wrong with blowing your children inheritance and enjoying the life?

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
towpro wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
^^^Curious what your yellow payload sticker says.

Done deal. Truck is ordered. Cummins, Aisin, 4x4, dually, 3.73, 1 higher output alternator, and all the fu-fu stuff, etc. etc. Only thing I didn't get that I have now is the cargo camera. I tried it but the pic never was any good.

I have a 14,000 lb GVW on the truck with my 7x14 trailer behind me with a BMW 1200 in trailer plus full cooler of beer, plus camper and Arctic Fox 990 with food cloths and 1/4 tank of water (waist tanks empty) I have seen 20 lbs under 14K on truck 🙂

last summer I traveled flat towing my Jeep liberty instead of my 7x14. this has no tong weight so I probably drop around 300 lbs from trailer tong.

Yeah you're pushing 5,000 on the rear axle. Payload sticker should be 5,500+/-.
GS1200 I assume?
I want to have enough reserve to use my cargo carrier for toting firewood, and my extended run gas tank for the Honda 2,000. Or, maybe the GoDevil mud boat that has a very light tongue weight, 300#?. Then there's the fantasy of a Honda 200 dual sport and a small canoe on my utility trailer.
Mostly I want to kick back and cruise without worrying about weight and blowing a tire.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Got to love the Laramie trim package.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on the order.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Laramie. I went back with the bucket seats which I'm not too fond of. I wanted to be able to put my foot up on the transmission tunnel. But, the 20/40/20 seats console didn't have much room for that. And the wife was asking very pointed questions about the different seats.
Pearl white, black interior, bedliner, 5th/gooseneck prep, navigation, LED bed lights, adjustable pedals, 220 amp alternator, protection group (skidplate), tubular side steps, and remote start. I did not order the sunroof!

when you get it, check in the glove box for the recommended camper load paper. mine says "this truck not recommended for use with a a pickup camper". We think its because I have the snow plow package (which is a 220a alternator and a skid plate).
I guess they don't want me to snow plow with my pickup camper loaded :(.
2022 Ford F150
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
^^^Curious what your yellow payload sticker says.

Done deal. Truck is ordered. Cummins, Aisin, 4x4, dually, 3.73, 1 higher output alternator, and all the fu-fu stuff, etc. etc. Only thing I didn't get that I have now is the cargo camera. I tried it but the pic never was any good.

I have a 14,000 lb GVW on the truck with my 7x14 trailer behind me with a BMW 1200 in trailer plus full cooler of beer, plus camper and Arctic Fox 990 with food cloths and 1/4 tank of water (waist tanks empty) I have seen 20 lbs under 14K on truck 🙂

last summer I traveled flat towing my Jeep liberty instead of my 7x14. this has no tong weight so I probably drop around 300 lbs from trailer tong.
2022 Ford F150

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Is Dodge having option for 360 cameras?
They come in pretty expensive tow package with Ford, but sure make the life way easier.

Maybe on one of the more expensive packages. I had to stop somewhere. LOL

Too many choices? 😉
I build my dually with no 4 wd, no sunroof and no crew cab, yet even with electric heater and extreme tow package in Lariant trim it come several thousands less than what I could find on dealer's lots.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Is Dodge having option for 360 cameras?
They come in pretty expensive tow package with Ford, but sure make the life way easier.

Maybe on one of the more expensive packages. I had to stop somewhere. LOL
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Laramie. I went back with the bucket seats which I'm not too fond of. I wanted to be able to put my foot up on the transmission tunnel. But, the 20/40/20 seats console didn't have much room for that. And the wife was asking very pointed questions about the different seats.
Pearl white, black interior, bedliner, 5th/gooseneck prep, navigation, LED bed lights, adjustable pedals, 220 amp alternator, protection group (skidplate), tubular side steps, and remote start. I did not order the sunroof!
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4