cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our First TT, will it be a hobby nightmare?

Fizbin
Explorer
Explorer
We are 2 weeks away from buying our first TT and we are not sure if this will be a nightmare or everything we dream about?

We have our own business and can work from the office or a cruise ship, so no worries there.

We home school our 11 year old and we are a very close fun family, and road trip ALOT now.

We have the cash so no budget issues there.

We just got a big 2015 Tundra and we're looking at the Jayco 28bhbe (with 1 slide)as the weight isn't crazy and even loaded is under the max the Tundra can handle.

After doing research on brands, taking into consideration the floor plan we would like, visual inspection, salesman's pitching (ugly business here) reviews and conversations on this forum, we think the Jayco model mentioned above will be best.

Our huge anxiety comes from reading different peoples issues with all brands somewhat in general.
  • Electrical and Plumbing Issues.
  • Leaking Roofs.
  • Mold.
  • Mice invasions!

Our other main critical concern is after the sale service.
After reading the reviews on ALL the dealers here in and around Austin Texas it looks like all service departs are horrific! I can pick out the reviewer bomb throwers in a review here or there and discard them but,,, good googly moogly,,,, these places are all SUPER BAD to deal with service. We went to 1 dealer in Buda Texas who wanted to make a point that we HAD to get fiberglass as hail would destroy a camper. He drove us through what I can only describe as a camper grave yard. There must have been 100 campers all waiting for service. I asked him about this and he said some are waiting on insurance claims, others for parts, and just an assortment of reason! I think he wished he had not brought us back there in the end.

Finally, yes there are dozens and dozens of bad reviews and customer complaints but on the flip side,,, are there hundres or thousands of truley satisfied customers that just don't share their experience?

What do we do, what do you think?
A man has got to know his limitations. ~DH
53 REPLIES 53

Fizbin
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped at a CW the other day we asked to see any they had that were a BHS ... She showed us everything but not one BHS. It was comical, she kept asking our "sweety" daughter what she wanted. Our 11 year old is very polite and smart (home schooled) and just kind of smiled at the lady.

I think the sales lady was banking on soft idiot parents giving a spoiled brat what she wanted. So transparent!

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Fizbin wrote:
My Salesman just told me that the sway bar he quoted me was a Reese that I would have to take off EVERYTIME I wanted to backup. Does this sound right? Yuck!

Mine (don't remember the brand), I just have to loosen when I back up and need to make a sharp turn. If I'm just backing straight or semi-straight, I just leave it.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Fizbin
Explorer
Explorer
My Salesman just told me that the sway bar he quoted me was a Reese that I would have to take off EVERYTIME I wanted to backup. Does this sound right? Yuck!

"The basic hitch is a Reese 10k lb combo kit ($429)and the upgrade is an Equalizer E2-roundbar ($565)"

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
For our first TT trip we rented, 10 day of towing later we had a very good idea of what we really wanted in a TT. It was not cheap but education rarely is.

Remember they do require maintenance and the value depreciates very quickly. TTs are a very poor financial investment.

TTs are what they are, a small house on wheels built as inexpensively as possible. The plumbing is plastic, the sewer septic tank travels with you, the electric is part 12 volt DC and part 120 volt AC. the frig is small, the hot water heater is 6 gallons or so. Still it is a life style that many enjoy.

A bad trailer is the luck of the draw; the industry sells over 300,000 TT tow behinds and 5vers every year and has for several years. The public in general seams satisfied as they asks for nothing better or are not willing to pay for it.

Floor plan, TV and cost all have to be part of the game plan.

Good luck, but remember buying an RV is not a race.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Mickey_D wrote:
Fizbin, greetings from another Austin person. We bought a trailer last year to use for long weekends and try to get the kids exposed to something other than computer games and organized activities. After looking at every dealer in the area and what felt like a million trailers, we bought a Primetime LaCrosse 329 and have been very happy with it.

From my experience the Jayco dealer in Buda is VERY pushy and tries a hard close almost as soon as they think you might buy something. Their dealership in Georgetown was a very different experience and easy to work with. The service department there (found a few things after our first couple of trips) was good but you have to stay on top of them to keep things moving. Would we buy from them again - yes.

When we started looking at trailers we did look at some tin ones. Talked to our State Farm agent and his comment was to get a fiberglass one because the hold up better in the hail here. He said that as long as the hail does not make a tin one leak, it is like a metal roof on a house, cosmetic damaged is not covered. He said that in his experience the glass ones hold up better and if they get beaten enough to show damage insurance covers it. I would talk to my agent before I bought anything.

Your truck should easily pull the Jayco that you are looking at, but you should switch the tires to LT series (not P like come stock on most trucks) load range E tires. They will have a lot less squirm and do a lot better job of resisting sway. Anything bigger and you should look at more truck (we quickly upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel and it is much less stressful to tow with). Good luck and if you want to discuss anything else send me a PM and I will give you my number to call.

Our insurance totaled our trailer because the front and awning side had been dinged up by hail. The damage on the side was so light that the adjuster had a hard time taking a picture but they were going to replace it still. When they called to tell me it was totaled, they said I could have a check or the trailer and a check. It was 3 years old and in great shape except for the dimples on the nose. I took both and ran.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Your correct the sky won't suddenly fall. However things will wear prematurely. The ride could be bad. Things may overheat etc.
Just take your time the first time out. Your Tundra is a decent truck but as you figured out you will be at your limits.

I agree with the above. I'm at my limit with my setup (see sig pic), and am towing safe, but it would be a much more enjoyable experience if I had more headroom with my capacity.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Mickey_D
Explorer
Explorer
Fizbin, greetings from another Austin person. We bought a trailer last year to use for long weekends and try to get the kids exposed to something other than computer games and organized activities. After looking at every dealer in the area and what felt like a million trailers, we bought a Primetime LaCrosse 329 and have been very happy with it.

From my experience the Jayco dealer in Buda is VERY pushy and tries a hard close almost as soon as they think you might buy something. Their dealership in Georgetown was a very different experience and easy to work with. The service department there (found a few things after our first couple of trips) was good but you have to stay on top of them to keep things moving. Would we buy from them again - yes.

When we started looking at trailers we did look at some tin ones. Talked to our State Farm agent and his comment was to get a fiberglass one because the hold up better in the hail here. He said that as long as the hail does not make a tin one leak, it is like a metal roof on a house, cosmetic damaged is not covered. He said that in his experience the glass ones hold up better and if they get beaten enough to show damage insurance covers it. I would talk to my agent before I bought anything.

Your truck should easily pull the Jayco that you are looking at, but you should switch the tires to LT series (not P like come stock on most trucks) load range E tires. They will have a lot less squirm and do a lot better job of resisting sway. Anything bigger and you should look at more truck (we quickly upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel and it is much less stressful to tow with). Good luck and if you want to discuss anything else send me a PM and I will give you my number to call.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Fizbin wrote:
On towing capacities, from everyone's help here it looks like I will be close but not over. I have towed some things that have been WAY over capacity in the past without problems. Needless to say I look back and just cringe.

If I ever go over (not by an extreme amount of course) in the future I assume the TT just won't bust off the hitch, you just feel it more when at speed, wind, or breaking?

Your correct the sky won't suddenly fall. However things will wear prematurely. The ride could be bad. Things may overheat etc.
Just take your time the first time out. Your Tundra is a decent truck but as you figured out you will be at your limits.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Relax. Deep breath. Camping is a great lifestyle and if it was TOO, TOO difficult, lots of folks would have bailed long ago. Fortunately, my DH can fix most anything. Equip yourself with a set of basic tools...screw drivers, pliers, wrench or two, a roll of duct tape and some sticky Velcro, etc. Most definitely have a torque wrench and if you're unsure how to use it, pay a visit to your handiest friend for some words of wisdom. Before you leave the driveway every time, you need to check the air in your tires per the noted pressure on the sidewalls and torque to the suggested ft lbs. Onh a longer trip, do this daily. You'll have a bundle of manuals - some helpful, others not so much but keep them anyway. Make it a priority to wash and wax your trailer yourself....this gives you the chance to inspect for bad spots in the caulking or any other areas that look suspicious. Clean and seal roof yearly or have it done. Check and repack wheel bearings yearly or have it done. Be diligent about these things and life will be good. The little 15 minute jobs that take a screwdriver to tighten something....do it now rather than letting it go and becoming a big problem.

Absolutely insist on a very thorough PDI - Pre Delivery Inspection from the dealer and don't leave until you feel comfortable. Check online for something possibly "PDI checklist" or similar and it should help you through it. If you can video, by all means do.

For the first night or two, most of us do what's called "Camp Driveway". Load up your new trailer as if you're headed 100 miles away, but stay home. Don't go back into the house for all those things you didn't know about or forgot. Make a list....you'll make lots of lists while learning. Use all of the facilities just like you were at a campground and it'll become second nature.

You'll be fine. We've all had a time or two when we wondered what we've gotten ourselves into, but the Pros outweigh the Cons considerably. Enjoy! Happy Camping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Fizbin
Explorer
Explorer
On towing capacities, from everyone's help here it looks like I will be close but not over. I have towed some things that have been WAY over capacity in the past without problems. Needless to say I look back and just cringe.

If I ever go over (not by an extreme amount of course) in the future I assume the TT just won't bust off the hitch, you just feel it more when at speed, wind, or breaking?

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Fizbin wrote:
We are 2 weeks away from buying our first TT and we are not sure if this will be a nightmare or everything we dream about?

We have our own business and can work from the office or a cruise ship, so no worries there.

We home school our 11 year old and we are a very close fun family, and road trip ALOT now.

We have the cash so no budget issues there.

What do we do, what do you think?

And you're doubting this lifestyle decision? Why?
You are brewing the perfect storm for family adventures.
Can you imagine how enhanced your child's education will be when you can actually go and see the Declaration of Independence in DC instead of just reading about it in books? Or when you get to geology you can go to Mammoth Cave? All while hanging out in your house(camper) and having a bonfire at night or playing in the campground pool; meeting new people form all over the country.

I wouldn't hesitate.

Focus on the wonderful memories you'll make. Yes there will be maintenance, but everything has maintenance.

Get out there and do it! Enjoy. You really won't regret it!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
I have read that the J2807 towing standards assume 2 passengers at 150 each and 70 pounds for hitch equipment. No more worrying if that second cup of coffee will put you over payload....at least temporarily.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
Slate CM wrote:

Ah yes, I see they are using those on the 150 now, but I don't think they have done so on the super duty.

Not sure - I think they all said when they designed their new models they would use the new ratings. Since Ford is the last one to do so, that would make sense.

Neither are Tundras. :B

Not sure - I'm not a Toyota person at all. But if they certify it for xxx lbs, then it should be good for xxx lbs.

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
itguy08 wrote:
Slate CM wrote:
Toyota uses real world ratings, J2807 engineering standards since 2011, while Ford has yet to adopt them.

As of 2015 Ford is using them too, as are all manufacturers, IIRC.

Ah yes, I see they are using those on the 150 now, but I don't think they have done so on the super duty.

itguy08 wrote:
And they didn't loose much at all, nor were the 2011-2014's bad tow rigs at their limits.

Neither are Tundras. :B

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Put that brochure down and use real world numbers. The dry brochure weight could easily be 500# off vs. the actual unloaded weight of your RV.
There is a sticker on the door of your truck showing the exact payload of your truck. There is also a sticker on the trailer showing the exact weight of the trailer as it left the factory. Start with those numbers. The hitch of the Tundra has a rating stamped on it. What is it?
You can manipulate your tongue weight by strategically loading your cargo however you must maintain 10-15% of the trailers actual GVW to have proper balance. Otherwise if your tongue is too light you will have a miserable towing experience.
Others have mentioned payload. You need to be concerned with how much your Tundra can carry as well as how much it can pull. They are 2 different parameters. The often advertised tow rating can often be misleading. It refers to how much your vehicle can pull but it does not reflect how much it can carry.
Again you need to be concerned with both.
Payload refers to how much your truck can carry. It includes the TW-tongue weight of the RV,all passengers and stuff in the cab,and all cargo in the bed. It does allow for a 150# driver and a full tank of gas.
Towing an RV trailer is not like towing any other trailer because an RV trailer is essentially and big box that is not very aerodynamic.
You sound very capable but you have a bit of homework to do. Luckily you have found the forum. There is a lot of knowledge here.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637