cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Over Night Camping Question

3wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Do you ever leave your camper hitched to the tow vehicle during overnight stays?

If so do you do any thing different for your setup (stabilizers, leveling, etc)?
Me, DW, DS, DWoof1, DWoof2
150 Super Crew 3.5L EcoBoost 3.55 towing a
2013 Jayco X20E with E2 Hitch
9 REPLIES 9

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
If I can find a reasonably level spot (Walmart parking lot) I unplug the trailer electric from the truck and go to bed. No stabilizers down. Open the bedroom slide and maybe one of the living area slides if needed and space is available. If it is too hot to camp without A/C then I stay in a campground but still stay hooked up as above but hook up the power to campground pedestal.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
I always prefer to disconnect it, in the unlikely event of a fire. Leaving the truck in position saves time rehooking.
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19

KMP44
Explorer
Explorer
3wheel wrote:
Do you ever leave your camper hitched to the tow vehicle during overnight stays?

If so do you do any thing different for your setup (stabilizers, leveling, etc)?

We do that frequently. Level the camper side to side if needed, then I put the tongue jack down just enough to get a little weight on it, then put the stabilizers down as usual. The front bed just clears the tailgate. As long as we have a level pull through site, this is a big time saver for one night stops.
2005 F-150 FX-4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
If it is too sleep only, then yes, I leave it attached. No, I don't do any setup other than kicking out the slide. I am talking about a scenario where I pull in late evening and will be leaving early morning. A pitstop.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
I unhook, level, and stabilize regardless of 1 night or a week. Frees the truck for emergencies as unlikely as they may be.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Some times I do, some times I don't. If the site is eyeball level I might not do anything but plug in.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I cheat and only put down the stabilizers on the slide side. The rig moves a little more but for one night we don't care.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT has been hooked to our TV for weeks at a time. We put down the jack and stabilizers and plug in.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
If we're just staying the night, yes. I still put down stabilizers after leveling.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer