cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overall consensus on Truck Camper covers?

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Im personally not a fan of covers, it just seems like a lot of work. But I am considering one for my camper, it will be stored outside in Socal. Thoughts and for those who do use them, how long does it take for you to install/uninstall solo?

Any name brand suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
HioSSilver wrote:
I've had them. Probably a good idea but the wind tears them up quickly at my house

What brand or brands did you have?

I forget. It was grey and breathable.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Calmark 5 yrs. and still looks brand new, I protect sharp edges with some foam. Less than $400. When I know a snowfall will be 3-4" or more I throw a Good Silver Vinyl tarp I have over cover, and with roof rake you can pull the snow off in minutes. Take tarp off after snow to let cover breathe better, it only takes me 10 min. each time for tarp alone.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
I now have a carport but previous years I would just strap a tarp over the top to protect from winter freeze/thaw cycles. I'd generally only get one year as inevitably things like the corner of a solar panel would eventually rub through. Unfortunately, this won't do much to protect the sides of your camper (window caulk, etc.) from UV, but ~$40/year at HomeDepot vs $150-$200 every other year for an ADCO....
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
In SoCal you are protecting from the sun much more than the rain. The ADCO type covers cost around $150-$200 and are fairly lightweight and easy to install. They will last two years in the California sun before becoming too fragile. I went through three of those. A Calmark cover (Sunbrella) will cost about 4 times that but will last at least four times that, probably longer. I have one of those now, 3 years old, pretty much still like new. It is quite a bit heavier and therefore more difficult to install/remove. I can do mine in about 20 minutes either way, but I cheat: I use my 40 foot JLG knuckle lift. Without that just carrying it up a ladder to the roof is a fair amount of work.

Far preferable in California would be a canopy that you could just drive under, if circumstances allow. All you need to do its get it in the shade.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Good cover are expensive ! They are made out of the same material used in a boat cover, typically Sunbrella.

All boat covers should be washed (hand wash, mild soap) and retreated with a UV protectant at least once a year.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
We've used one for two winters and it's been awesome .... inexpensive, effective and durable. It's made to fit a larger camper but works just fine our 2016 Adventurer 80RB (8 foot box). Here's the Amazon link we purchased from and if you scroll down to "Related Video Shorts" and check out the second video on the right which is my review of the cover. It has held up remarkably well with no tears, leaks or issues. It breathes well also. I tape pieces of 2 inch memory foam over the water spouts at the four corners to keep from tearing the material. I use clear packing tape as it leaves little residue if removed in 2 or 3 months.

Slide-in truck camper cover

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Covers are a good idea, but if you live in snow store indoors. Heavy snow and ice will cause leaks.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I had never used one before but after last winters wrath on the two campers(Class C & Travel trailer) I had in the driveway,I said no more and bought one for the truck camper.

I have know idea why I have not done this before..I would not be without one now..It really protects the camper from the heavy rain and especially the heavy snow.I still have to shovel or broom it off and the luggage racks are a pain to get around.I had a swimming pool up there before I removed the north/south bar.

It is a Classic PolyPro 3 and has know signs of wear so far.It is easy to take off for one person,two is easier and putting it on is a piece of cake with two people.My son and I put it back on last night..He stood in the back of his pickup and I was on a ladder in the rear..Two minutes later it was on...With one person it is a pain to put on because I don't like going on the roof.

Initial out of the box setup was bad.They did not roll it up right..Best bet is unroll it first then roll it up accordingly to put on the camper front to back..Again,with two people it is so quick and easy..

I highly recommend them.They keep the elements from doing there damage to all the window and roof seams that mother nature dishes out threw out the winter here in central Idaho..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
HioSSilver wrote:
I've had them. Probably a good idea but the wind tears them up quickly at my house

What brand or brands did you have?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t have one, but Iโ€™ve heard a lot of good things about CalMark. http://calmarkcovers.com/

I used to have an Adco. It wasnโ€™t big enough, so DW sewed more material in the middle. It was ok until it disintegrated.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member