cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overweight

allenm
Explorer
Explorer
My 6250 GVWR ultra-lite trailer had a delivered weight of 5326 with full LP tanks leaving 924 for cargo.

I know I'm close to my cargo limit when packed for travel even with an empty refrigerator and empty holding tanks. That's the downside of an ultra-lite, but that's another story.

Parked at my campsite with a full refrig, full holding tanks and 2 people, I could be exceeding my GVWR by more than 1000 lbs. We're snow birding and the trailer hasn't moved in 4 months. But I will be getting the weight back down below the GVWR before heading out.

We're heading north in a couple weeks. Mostly I'm wondering about the cheap factory Rainier tires. They are ST 205 14 R75 Radial tires, 6PR Load Range C, 1760 lbs at 50 lbs. That's a combined 7040 lbs, which I have no doubt been exceeding at the camp site.

Has anyone had any experience doing this sort of thing? And yes I would feel better if I had good quality tires!
14 REPLIES 14

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Numbers are just numbers until you hit the scales. You could be 1000 lbs. over or you could be from 100 lbs under.

Your trailer was intended to be taken home, loaded for a trip including some amount of water and driven down the road on vacation.

Loaded my "Lite" TT gains about 1200 lbs over the stated Dry weight and we load heavy.

As mentioned the weight limit is far less important for a stationary unit. But an estimated weight is only an estimate. Measure and be sure.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
The apparent weight of the trailer (from the tires point of view) is far higher bouncing down the road then sitting in an RV park. Other then a slight flat spot which will go away when the tires warm up, no harm done. Assuming you had them covered (sunlight, dogs watering the rims, etc) they are the same as when you parked. Spring sag from constant weight is another matter.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
All tires will flat spot if left in one place for many months. Some are worse than others but all do it. They will smooth out as the tires heat up. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
allenm wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I noticed a few snow birds in this campground have jacked their rig up enough to slide blocks under the frame and take some weight off the tires and eliminate floor bounce. I'm not going to that extreme, but I am going to replace my 10 month old tires with better ones before next winter's trip. Wonder how long it will take to work the flat spot out of these radials? I've heard driving too fast with flat spots is not good on the tires, either.

Only tires I recall that would flat spot were the old nylon bias ply tires decades ago. It would only take 1 to 3 miles to smooth out. Modern tires do not flat spot.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Exceeding the GVWR when parked is irrelevant unless you are talking double or triple the GVWR.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't have flat spots after only four months. Next winter put an extra 5 lbs of pressure in the tires after you get to the campground. Also remember that some of your weight is sitting on the tongue, not all on the tires.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

allenm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. I noticed a few snow birds in this campground have jacked their rig up enough to slide blocks under the frame and take some weight off the tires and eliminate floor bounce. I'm not going to that extreme, but I am going to replace my 10 month old tires with better ones before next winter's trip. Wonder how long it will take to work the flat spot out of these radials? I've heard driving too fast with flat spots is not good on the tires, either.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
With MayPop tires anything you can do to relieve stress on the tires will help to delay or prevent the possible self destruction. Proper tire pressure, covers when parked, properly sized blocks under the tires when leveling, jack stands or stabilizers to ease the load, inspection of the tires before each trip...etc all will help.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
my understanding is that the max weight is when it is being towed. going over that when at a campsite is IMHO no big deal at all. We do that virtually EVERY campout, after 5 years, close to 300 days of camping and hasn't caused any issues at all.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
I think with water, a lot of people would be sitting heave at the campsite. I know I am.....
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
With the stabilizers down and the trailer static I see no harm in exceeding GVWR. Rolling is another matter
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I say no big deal overloaded just sitting there. You may have crappy tires. I know I did on my 5th wheel. I even got them to pay half the cost of replacing them. If tires are no good replace them. Just search the web on the make and model of your tires. I am sure you will get some info. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't say good or bad, harm or no harm done by over loading the gvwr by a 1000# in such situation. However I have read on this forum and elsewhere, how trailers are built with a minimal amount of spring support in the suspension resulting in sagging and eventually broken springs when loaded to the gvwr limit. I personally would have some concern about making a habit of having a trailer overloaded that much and sitting for long periods. :@

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what you are asking....but obviously being 1000 lbs over weight (your estimate) is not good.

How old are the tires? - manufacturer date?
My opinion, I think you have abused already suspect cheap (Chinese) tires and before you head out I'd replace them. I'm guessing that you already have that feeling, but are looking for someone to say that you are ok not doing so.
I could be wrong, but as they say....I'm just sayin'.

Good luck with you decision.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro