cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

palomino stampede owners let me hear from you.

gjacobs12
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm a newbie here. My wife and I are looking at a Palomino Stampede s-238. We love the look and the options. What I want to know from all Palomino owner is the good the bad and the ugly. What problems have you had if any and what you tow with. I'm looking for as much information as I can get. Thanks for your input.
30 REPLIES 30

Jeremy626
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
MoodyFam wrote:
haroldpe86 wrote:
Just wondering if you knew there is sometimes a small button valve on the shower head itself...

MoodyFam wrote:
We have a 2012 S-238 ...
Water barely flows out bath faucet, not useable - haven't figured that one out yet!

Sorry it's the sink faucet, not shower head...any advice? I looked for kinks but haven't found one yet.

take the screen off the end of the faucet and you'll probably find a bunch of debris clogging the spout.
this is pretty common issue, especially on new rigs and when water flows fine everywhere else.

I've had this happen on a couple different trailers, and have had it happen multiple times on the same trailer. I have water filters setup on my incoming water, but still stuff (minerals) build up and get knocked loose from the hot water tank and can clog up the screen at the faucets. Plus if you look, I've seen anywhere from 2 to 5 screens in the little faucet screen thing. Sometimes taking one or two screens out can help increase the flow.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
gjacobs12 wrote:
drenjoey wrote:
I do have a question: What do you have as vehicle to tow a S-238 ?

We don't have a tow vehicle for the camper. We will buy a tow vehicle that can handle the s238. Right now we camp in a Viking pop up and pull with a 2007 Honda Odyssey. Going to an s238 would require us to purchase a new (to us) tow vehicle which is what we want to do. Looking at an expedition XL with a tow package. Tow rating is at 9200 lbs. The numbers work for the expy nd towing the s238.

that's an excellent choice for a tow vehicle, for the 238.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

gjacobs12
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:

We don't have a tow vehicle for the camper. We will buy a tow vehicle that can handle the s238. Right now we camp in a Viking pop up and pull with a 2007 Honda Odyssey. Going to an s238 would require us to purchase a new (to us) tow vehicle which is what we want to do. Looking at an expedition XL with a tow package. Tow rating is at 9200 lbs. The numbers work for the expy nd towing the s238.

searfoss
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2005 Palomino Stampede 21SD that we towed with a 1990 Chevy Low-top Conversion Van, The van had a 5.7 motor and struggled to pull up hill. Traded that for a 2004 Dodge Ram towed with ease. Now the Palomino Stampede 21SD had a few issues; vinyl flooring came unglued, large cabinet door cracked at the corners, large window over the sofa had to be re-caulked, front bunk gasket that had to replaced by the dealer. This may sound like a lot but in reality its minor โ€œpunch listโ€ stuff that was taken care of by the dealer. Only major item was the A/C start capacitor died which would be the manufacturer Colemanโ€™s issue but was also fixed free of charge by the dealer. We would buy Palomino again with out hesitation.Pictures of our Palomino Stampede 21SD
Poconos Pennsylvania
2016 Kodiak 286 BHSL
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear

RIP Mike, we miss you so much

bdodge
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - I have a 2012 Pal 23-BH and really like it. We bought it new last year and have camped quite a few times including 21 nights so far this year. Very few issues - a water line was not connected and leaked everywhere the first time I hooked up water to it, - the radio got stuck on and wouldn't shut off, - my water heater is acting up and takes a few cycles to ignite now (still trying to solve this one). I tow it with a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L w/ tow package and the truck tows the camper very nice. I also have a weight distribution hitch that helps a lot with the ride when towing the camper. We have 2 young kids (5 and 3) and the bunk beds are perfect for them. We use PUGs on the tent ends and we've been comfortable in 30 degrees as well as 100 degrees. 100 degrees in the tent end is toasty PUGs or not.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
MoodyFam wrote:
haroldpe86 wrote:
Just wondering if you knew there is sometimes a small button valve on the shower head itself...

MoodyFam wrote:
We have a 2012 S-238 ...
Water barely flows out bath faucet, not useable - haven't figured that one out yet!

Sorry it's the sink faucet, not shower head...any advice? I looked for kinks but haven't found one yet.

take the screen off the end of the faucet and you'll probably find a bunch of debris clogging the spout.
this is pretty common issue, especially on new rigs and when water flows fine everywhere else.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MoodyFam
Explorer
Explorer
haroldpe86 wrote:

MoodyFam wrote:
We have a 2012 S-238 ...

haroldpe86
Explorer
Explorer

MoodyFam wrote:
We have a 2012 S-238 ...
Gary - 2010 Kodiak 184 HTT

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:

i agree, the OP states that they are a newbie. that being the case, it's always a good idea to make sure their vehicle is capable of handling the 238.
many newbies are lied to by RV salesmen, just to make a sale.

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer

gjacobs12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information so far. It has been very helpful. Please keep em coming.

jimbobboy2
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2012 Traverse by Palomino Denali popup that's been great. A few loose screws, but nothing major after 70 nights in it.
Looking to move up to a Stampede, maybe a S-238. Need a new TV, and to sell the popup.

camp4ever
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2007 s-195 last year. After a few mods, fixed a few leaks, (mostley from bad caulk) We love it!! Taking it to Yellowstone on a 2 week trip, can't wait..
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2004 Ford Explorer w/ Towing Package
2014 Passport 2300 BH

MoodyFam
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 S-238 that we bought back in March, we've camped in it 6 times since, once for 7 nights in Colorado. Not many complaints but here goes:

Drawers - bottom fell out of almost all of them, just putting basic stuff inside no bricks ๐Ÿ™‚ - I reinforced them all, now they can be used!

Vinyl flooring - area between closet and shower wall came unglued.

Large cabinet above sink - bottom of cabinet fell, absolutely no support underneath - took out and reinforced.

Decorative wall board used all around camper is coming loose due to only being held together with staples - now screwed in.

I consider these things minor and expected from a light weight trailer, things are going to come loose your first few trips ๐Ÿ™‚

Pull it with a 2012 F150 Ecoboost Screw, went up thru San Juan Mountains to Pagosa Springs/Durango. Great experience, sometimes I forgot it was back there! Loves to climb the grades!!

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
We do have a 2011 Stampede S238 first series which was built like the 2010.

The good: We have no complaints about the S238. It's a well built hybrid and ours came with a lot of options. We love the tub in the bathroom.

The bad: Nothing really bad about it. You might find the bathroom a little small, especially when you have to sit in there....but that's probably because there's a tub instead of a shower. My wife and I are both light weight and we're ok with it.

The ugly: nothing ugly about that hybrid. We did make a few mods to have it to our taste:
1- Install an electric jack
2- Changed that cheap radio for a Jensen
3- Brought the cable and the electricity to the back room (our bedroom) and install an outlet for a television. (it's in the HTT mod forum)
4- Changed the kitchen table folding legs for tubular ones
5- Install shelves in half of the rear closet

Conclusion: We had a 2004 Starcraft Travelstar 21SSO and really saw the improvements that were done in 7 years. We just love our Stampede.

We tow the S238 with a 2005 Dodge Ram 2WD with a 5.7 Hemi engine and have no problems.

If ever you have any questions, send me a PM

Dre