cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

peel & stick 'wood plank' flooring

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
I recently saw a photo on Pinterest where someone has used peel-and-stick vinyl flooring (it looked like barnwood planks) on the wall behind their bed. Has anyone tried this kind of mod before and if so, where did you get your vinyl and what were the pros and cons of the entire project? I'd like to do this on the wall behind our bed too but not sure it's one of those mods that won't hold up with time. Seeking advice/suggestions. Thanks!
Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150
18 REPLIES 18

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Wall paper, yes. Sticky flooring, not as good of an idea. Pressure sensitive adhesive on flooring don't hold so well in a vertical,application. Hard to get even pressure to make it stick and then it's constantly bouncing and pulling on the wall behind it.
Maybe if you put some staples or tacks in it.

X2 getting this stuff to stay put on a moving house, bouncing down the road, on a vertical wall that is probably past 90 degrees with varying temps, seems almost impossible to guarantee it will stay.

The wall paper idea may be your best bet.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I used interlocking metal mirror clips (Lee Valley has them in photo below) on the wall and backside of the headboard (fabric stapled to 1/8" luan) to rehang it.
Now you've got me thinking......a smoked mirror panel for the headboard, lol. That would have been a good idea 30 years ago, lol.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The headboard in our TT fell off a year or two ago. I flicked the top sheet against it (lightly too) and bam, off it came. No wonder - it was just held on with a few wimpy 'lil staples. Coulda killed someone in their sleep, lol...

I used interlocking metal mirror clips (Lee Valley has them in photo below) on the wall and backside of the headboard (fabric stapled to 1/8" luan) to rehang it. Careful measuring required! I used green painters tape. Glued on some strips of 1/8" ply for more thickness for the screws to bite into. Headboard will never come off again. You could do similar and glue the wall covering of your choice to some 1/8" ply and use the same mirror clips. Will even give you the possibility of easily changing the covering if you ever get tired of what you initially did. The front walls of a TT slope so if attaching something to it, gravity may a factor depending on what you're doing.

I would experiment with a piece of luan in a hidden place and see if the product you are thinking of sticking to it will adhere properly. As noted somewhere above, some luan finishes will not take a glue or adhesive and will separate. BDTD on a previous TT.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
TheBeans wrote:
What I was thinking of isn't real planks or even thin luan-type planks. What I saw was wallpaper. Some of the wallpapers even had a slightly roughed up texture to it but most of them were just made to look like rustic planks. Some looked more realistic than others as well and I'm certain that this type of application would hold up, provided I did the prep work needed. Hmmmm....still going to keep looking. I like the look or real planks but I am not interested in doing the ton of work involved with real planks.

There are many varieties of wall coverings out there. The not so good news is that an installer would have to remove any existing wall paper or wall covering to install new stuff.

If this is for a headboard, could you install a panel that is cosmetically what you envision? Are you able to install some fasteners to hold the panel?

FWIW, I've worked with my BIL, the upholsterer, and we've made wall panels for bedrooms and such. They are attached to the wall with screws into the studs. Some have been used as a headboard, also.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wall paper, yes. Sticky flooring, not as good of an idea. Pressure sensitive adhesive on flooring don't hold so well in a vertical,application. Hard to get even pressure to make it stick and then it's constantly bouncing and pulling on the wall behind it.
Maybe if you put some staples or tacks in it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
What I was thinking of isn't real planks or even thin luan-type planks. What I saw was wallpaper. Some of the wallpapers even had a slightly roughed up texture to it but most of them were just made to look like rustic planks. Some looked more realistic than others as well and I'm certain that this type of application would hold up, provided I did the prep work needed. Hmmmm....still going to keep looking. I like the look or real planks but I am not interested in doing the ton of work involved with real planks.
Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
danimal53 wrote:
just something to consider, that stuff is made for a home, which is generally climate controlled. Temperature extremes, depending on where you live, might affect the glue, especially while in storage.

Also if your walls are like a lot now days they are made with a vinyl layer over a thin sheet of luan and the weight of the planks (they are not all that light!) might pull the vinyl off the luan plywood. There have been posts here of this happening when using the 3M "magic" adhesive wall hooks/hangers.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
just something to consider, that stuff is made for a home, which is generally climate controlled. Temperature extremes, depending on where you live, might affect the glue, especially while in storage.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

westend
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
Add a couple blobs per plank of adhesive and they will never fall off, thats been my experience in 40 years of construction. JMHO

X2
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

mjmoch
Explorer
Explorer
cmarkj wrote:
Lowes has a better selection of peel and stick vinyl planking than Home Depot does, and at a better price. I pulled up the carpet in my big slide and put down vinyl planks.
I used 3M Supper 77 spray adhesive on the floor before i put down each plank. It's never going to come up. I would clean the wall well, then spray on the adhesive.

Was the tear out and replace hard?
Pros cons tipps?

cmarkj
Explorer
Explorer
Lowes has a better selection of peel and stick vinyl planking than Home Depot does, and at a better price. I pulled up the carpet in my big slide and put down vinyl planks.
I used 3M Supper 77 spray adhesive on the floor before i put down each plank. It's never going to come up. I would clean the wall well, then spray on the adhesive.
Always looking for the perfect site.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
Add a couple blobs per plank of adhesive and they will never fall off, thats been my experience in 40 years of construction. JMHO

X2
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
This planking the walls with vinyl stick has me thinking I want to do this.
I tore out the old carpet three years back and layed down the snap together vinyl planking. Does a great job real quick, very hardy.
Will watch this thread.

Thanks TheBeans

raygreg
Explorer
Explorer
Home depot has the planks that you are looking for