cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picked up our 990 today! WhooHoo!

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer

Picked up the camper today and drove it the 80 miles home in a heavy cross wind 😉 No issues but I think the air bags have too much air in them and I plan to lower it. I didn't think to ask what they had put in them before loading the camper and taking off (I was in a rush at that point and just wanted to head home after a long day waiting for the truck to be done).

Installed upper and lower stable loads and the air bags and while it's obviously on the truck and obviously heavier than the 9D we had before it's not bad to drive (IMO). I do think however, that rancho 9000's are probably in order as well as lowering the air in the bags a bit to ensure 100% engagement of the stable loads (it didn't fully engage them before taking off.

The toyo's (rated at 4080lbs each) seemed to handle it just fine and it's full of water, propane and two batteries 🙂 I'm comfortable with it and can't wait to get camping now 😄
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990
18 REPLIES 18

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Yay for you!!! Congratulations on your new rig! It's beautiful! here's to many,, many happy miles and nights of camping!

Cheers!
Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Lowered the bags to 15lbs today and am not sure but might have a little more sway than when they were at 20lbs...could just be me and I did just drive around the block and steer back and forth a bit which I had not done before. I may raise them to 20lbs again and see if it feels different.

Meanwhile, we are almost ready to hit the road! Just a few more things to add and of course, since we're working stiffs, a few more days to wait. Then we're off to Coffee Pot lake and from what I hear a rainy weekend but we don't care 😉

2019 AF990

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
After lowering the bags to 20lbs we headed out for some shopping etc around town. Found it seemed much better overall in terms of hitting bumps, crossing tracks etc though I did notice more side to side movement which surprised me. I plan to drop them about 5lbs more to see if that makes a difference and then after the super hitch and truss I'll probably do a bigwig swaybar. However, it feels pretty darn good as is really.
2019 AF990

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Dying to get going! Working on that plan now 😄
2019 AF990

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Nice looking truck and camper! I bet you're looking forward to the first camping trip.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Earth_to_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! We just bought our 990 last weekend and we can't wait to get a weekend away in it. Enjoy!
2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax DRW CC
2018 Arctic Fox 990

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed the stable loads and lowered bahs to 20lbs and still not sitting all the way on them. I will drive around as soo as i can and try out and probably lower to 15psi
2019 AF990

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
emcvay wrote:
I have upper and lower stable loads from Torlift. The issue is, I think, that the air bags are over inflated so the overload springs aren't fully engaging the stable loads.
You might not need all three suspension mods . Find a level place and deflate the bags and see how it sits , high , level or low in the back . Then adjust accordingly .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer

Doing some checks this morning and I see this.....I had the RV shop install them and wasn't happy about the cost of doing that (I just didn't have the time so opted for them to do it thinking "it will be 30 minutes, worst case they charge me an hour right".....um no. It was 30 minutes, I'm certain, and they charged me $180....I chocked it up to a brain fart on my part and paid the bill.....) and now I have to fix their work.

I sent that pic to the salesman and asked him if their shop had a money back guarantee!? If I wan't 80 miles away I'd take it right back and tell them I'm going to watch them fix and torque EVERYTHING and inspect their work.

Anyway.....I also checked the air bags and they were just a tick under 40lbs. I lowered them to 30lbs each and still see this on the stable loads...

I need to be sure I'm level but I bet I can drop 5-10 more pounds yet.

Thoughts?
2019 AF990

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Life is good! You'll be glad you have the rails on top when you need to climb up there...
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
emcvay wrote:
I have upper and lower stable loads from Torlift. The issue is, I think, that the air bags are over inflated so the overload springs aren't fully engaging the stable loads.

I had this problem before. Carefully keep track of the PSI you put in the bags and find the sweet spot for your setup. You want the uppers mashing into the overloads a bit, but also want to keep your rear up. On my old setup it was just under 30 PSI, any more than that I would start rocking around more.

Congrat on the new setup, looks sweet!
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on new TC! Enjoy!

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a nice looking setup. Congratulations.

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
2019 AF990