cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picking up new (to Me) Camper next Saturday

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
After much going back and forth (TT or 5th, Bunks or not)and looking, picked out a 2012 Keystone sprinter 266rbs lastweek and will pick up next weekend. I'm really looking forward to the outside kitchen on this one, which was the deciding factor and hard to find in a 28'ish non bunkhouse. Also has a fold out bed large enough for our 6' teenager who is stil home and camps with us and room for air mattress' if the older two want to join us. A couple of questions.

I never had slides, should I store the camper with the slides out or not?

The previous owner replaced the original fridge and put in an electric only. Can I add an inverter and likely a second battery to run the fridge while traveling?

Any other advice?
Thanks
Joe
13 REPLIES 13

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like our gas/electric range because it automatically shifts when electricity is available.

We could get by with electric only because we almost always camp with electricity. Maybe three time in the last three years, did we opt to boondock because we were out West and primitive spots were easier to find.

If your camping style involves Wal-Mart overnights and such it could be an issue.

The beauty of RVing is everyone's camping style is different and their TT eventually acquires the items the need.

Safe travels.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
packpe89 wrote:
The previous owner replaced the original fridge and put in an electric only. Can I add an inverter and likely a second battery to run the fridge while traveling?

Generally speaking, electric fridges keep their cool as long as the door isn't being opened. Which means, you can often drive with them OFF for quite a while without them loosing their cool. A buddy of mine fulltimes with his family and switched to a residential fridge; he runs with it off and has never had an issue.

Otherwise, if this is your first camper - this article might help:
Newbie - First Trip Essentials
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
packpe89 wrote:
Well, I did pick it up, towed fine. Stocking it up now and planning a couple of trips. Won't do anything to the fridge yet, but planning on going cross-country in a couple of years, so will want to be able to keep it cold then.

Here it is!

nice rig, enjoy.

i never thought i would like or need an outside kitchen but ours had one anyway.

that would be something i would want on any future TT' we might purchase. the outside fridge and cooking area is well worth it IMO.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
An electric only fridge ends your ability to dry camp/boondock without a large array of solar and batteries and/or significant use of a generator. And needing to always plug in cuts you out of camping in some bueatiful places.
I dunno'. I only have a small 120V dorm fridge but it is powered well by a single 235W panel and 300AH of battery capacity. If I see a third day without sun, I'm looking for a receptacle or a generator. I tend to seek out the out-of-the-way spots. I don't find large, multiple campsite campgrounds relaxing. That might make me a boondocker. :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck with your new TT. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
For safety reasons, I would get a scaled weight of things once you load up for a trip (pack the TT and pack the truck plus people).
I think your TW will be a lot higher (1000# range, could be more depending on your packing) and I would make sure your hitch bars are the correct size.
I would measure the wheel well height front and rear of the TV before and after you hitch up using your WD hitch. The front end looks a little high in that pic. You want to keep enough weight on the front steer axle, at the same time, have enough weight on the rear for traction in gravel.

Dry Weight
6,506 lbs.

Payload Capacity
2,979 lbs.

GVWR
9,485 lbs.

Hitch Weight
685 lbs.

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I did pick it up, towed fine. Stocking it up now and planning a couple of trips. Won't do anything to the fridge yet, but planning on going cross-country in a couple of years, so will want to be able to keep it cold then.

Here it is!

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
you'll be fine as long you camp where there is power.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing they made a mid-year change. Mine looks like the 2011 models, where as the 2012 have a fiberglass front in the brochure, but it is a September 2012 brochure. The only weight I could find for the 2011 model is on NADA, which has 5735, so I'm guessing the hitch around 620. We travel fairly light and I never fill the tanks before we travel. So, 620 +100#hitch, plus 3 people 580#, Im at 1300#, which is 120# under my payload and over 3300# shy of my tow limit. Not that I like being right at the limit, but I shouldn't be asking more than its capable of. I can always use the 2500HD, but going uphill in the NC mountains, the turbo will be nicer compared to the 6.0 screaming at mph.

On the slides, we will keep it parked at the house and take a few trips a year, so I'm guessing that storing the slides in are the best.

Any thoughts on the fridge?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
An electric only fridge ends your ability to dry camp/boondock without a large array of solar and batteries and/or significant use of a generator. And needing to always plug in cuts you out of camping in some bueatiful places.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Storing with slides in or slides out doesn't make any difference as far as the trailer itself goes. But if you are not using it, it only makes sense to leave the slides in. It helps protect the roof of the slides, less surface space exposed to the elements, less foot print space it will take, probably a bit safer, and in the event of really threatening weather, less surface space for wind, snow, ice to blow against it. Also, if you put a cover over it, slides will need to be in.

When not in use, our slides are in.

However, if you are using the camper, driveway camping, or on a season site, or inside the camper every day for some reason or another, then it only makes sense to leave the slides out for convenience.

If you are parking and storing for any length of time, you probably want the slides in. Slides depend upon the battery to function correct. If the slides are out, longer term sitting and battery goes down, then you decide to move the camper, you'll need to figure out how to charge that battery first. With slides in, you can just hitch and go!

It's really just a mater of your own convenience. There really is not right or wrong, bad or good when answering your question. It all boils down to your own convenience for your own answer.

In or out, won't hurt the camper. They are made to be in both positions.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I store slide in and frequently treat the rubber gaskets with a preservative but they will need replacement soon if previous owner wasnโ€™t maintenance oriented. Easy to do.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the Keystone Sprinter. Seems like a lot of trailer for a f150 to me.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Oh. since it always comes up, TV is a '14 f150, screw, 6.5 bed, ecoboost, 3.31 with tow package. I also have a '02 2500HD 6.0, extcab, which I can use, but plan on using the f150 for seating room.